Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 - 20 Washington Capitals Thread (Lundqvist to Caps?)


Recommended Posts

"Laviolette guided the Hurricanes to a Stanley Cup championship in his first full season in Carolina (2006), he directed the Flyers to the Cup Final in his first season in Philadelphia (2010) and took the Predators to the final in his third season in Nashville (2017). The window is closing for the Caps, whose captain, Alex Ovechkin, turns 35 this week. "

 

Seems like it was the right choice for an aging team that needs results right away

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Welp, got a coach with a lot of playoff experience like we have wanted for over a decade. Now let's see if it pays off

 

Any insight about his style of coaching from anyone that's followed him a little closer?


He’s a no F around kind of coach.  He almost climbed a wall to fight the penguins manager years ago.  His teams are Prepared and come with attitude like him. That’s why Philly liked him. His teams were smash mouth. If you mouth off to him he’s more likely to KO you Ovi style than bench you. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:


He’s a no F around kind of coach.  He almost climbed a wall to fight the penguins manager years ago.  His teams are Prepared and come with attitude like him. That’s why Philly liked him. His teams were smash mouth. If you mouth off to him he’s more likely to KO you Ovi style than bench you. 

So the opposite of our last coach? Ha

 

Reading stories about him from previous employees that paint him as a really nice guy, so sounds like he's passionate and heavy when he needs to be, but not when he doesn't have to be (ie Bab****). So that's good. Just hope he does well with the vets, but also can snap guys like kuzy into shape

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

So the opposite of our last coach? Ha

 

Reading stories about him from previous employees that paint him as a really nice guy, so sounds like he's passionate and heavy when he needs to be, but not when he doesn't have to be (ie Bab****). So that's good. Just hope he does well with the vets, but also can snap guys like kuzy into shape

 

He's been in a lot of veteran locker rooms so he should be fine there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Sounds like the deal is for $4 million per year.  Didn't Trotz want $5 million per year and Ted wouldn't pony up for that?  4 ain't that far off.

im guessing the thinking was they could get the same system for a lot less with Reirden. They're now learning from that mistake and realizing they need to pay more now before ovi/backy go bye bye.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Sounds like the deal is for $4 million per year.  Didn't Trotz want $5 million per year and Ted wouldn't pony up for that?  4 ain't that far off.

 

They didn't want to give Trotz a 5th year. He would have been around 9 years at that point which is a LOONG time in the NHL. 

 

It was clear, despite the Cup win, that both sides were over it. Egos in sports

 

Anyhow, love this Lavielette hire. He eventually wears out his welcome, but that is fine. This is a 2-3 year window to get another Cup 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, watching the Lavi highlights, guys, I don't think we've ever had a coach like this before. If he wasn't in hockey he'd probably be a dictator in some

country somewhere...ridiculously strong personality, OV might even find him intimidating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Man, watching the Lavi highlights, guys, I don't think we've ever had a coach like this before. If he wasn't in hockey he'd probably be a dictator in some

country somewhere...ridiculously strong personality, OV might even find him intimidating. 


I told you he’s a bit insane.  If anyone ever takes a cheap shot at his players they will have hell to pay.  He loves dishing revenge cold.  One of his flyers got knocked out in a game and he sent the wreckers to kill. There was like 6 fights or more in 10 mins. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:


I told you he’s a bit insane.  If anyone ever takes a cheap shot at his players they will have hell to pay.  He loves dishing revenge cold.  One of his flyers got knocked out in a game and he sent the wreckers to kill. There was like 6 fights or more in 10 mins. 

so 99% chance Tom gets suspended next season at least once

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 12:56 PM, RichmondRedskin88 said:


I told you he’s a bit insane.  If anyone ever takes a cheap shot at his players they will have hell to pay.  He loves dishing revenge cold.  One of his flyers got knocked out in a game and he sent the wreckers to kill. There was like 6 fights or more in 10 mins. 

 

It will be interesting to see -- we haven't had a coach like him in the OV era. Boudreau, Hunter, Oates, Trotz, Reirdan, these were all players coaches. In fact I think the only coach we've had like him in out history is Jim Schoenfeld, who was also a bit of a  wild man.

 

Not sure what effect his coaching style will have on the players. A young OV and Nicky might have been inspired by his passion. Old man OV and Nicky, though, I'm not sure. They might not want to put up with that BS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Laviolette is an outstanding hire, it’s worth getting hyped about. Our window is MAYBE 4 years more like 3 and he will be a hell of a coach during the final push before Ovi and Backstrom are done. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, max21 said:

Laviolette is an outstanding hire, it’s worth getting hyped about. Our window is MAYBE 4 years more like 3 and he will be a hell of a coach during the final push before Ovi and Backstrom are done. 

I like that teams grow tired of him after 4 or 5 years. Nashville fired him after several years. But the thing to remember is that he gets a lot out of his teams early. Which is good, becaus this team is old and has a closing window. In that case Laviolette was the perfect hire for this team. He will coach them for 3 years, and hopefully they can get something going in that time.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I like that teams grow tired of him after 4 or 5 years. Nashville fired him after several years. But the thing to remember is that he gets a lot out of his teams early. Which is good, becaus this team is old and has a closing window. In that case Laviolette was the perfect hire for this team. He will coach them for 3 years, and hopefully they can get something going in that time.

ya, seems like the perfect deal to me. 3 of his teams he coached either made the finals or won the stanley cup in his 1st 3 years.. and we signed him for 3 years with a talented, veteran team. milk that while we have ovi, then we can get a younger, more experimental coach once the old guys retire and we're rebuilding

 

on another note, anybody watching Game 1 right now? in the first period and things are already getting testy.. going to be a rough series

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ixcuincle changed the title to 2019 - 20 Washington Capitals Thread (Lundqvist to Caps?)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...