KDawg

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Eagles

17 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Fully understand it's not directed at me, but I'll try to answer. Jay just didn't have an offensive counter punch. We went into the 2nd half expecting to do the same thing and when that didn't pan out we couldn't really move the ball until they were in a quazi-prevent. 

we didn't make half time adjustments because we were doing fine. When they adjusted we were left without answers. 

It might behoove some of you to go look at the play timeline of the game.  Quite a few very costly penalties that immediately alter plans and put the offense in a bad spot, the drops and the overthrown bomb changed everything about how you viewed this game.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Richardson ran out of bounds before either of those guys made an attempt to catch the ball; nothing would've counted even if Richardson had come down cleanly with the ball with both feet and his favorite armchair inbounds.

As I posted earlier (from the NFL rules) once a defender touches the ball the out of bounds player becomes eligible again (all the offensive players become eligible for that matter). That is why i was asking if the defender touched the ball first.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

I would really love to know the defense we were in for the 3rd downs when Wentz went 12 for 13 197 yds whatever.

I would be willing to wager we were in the same defense every time, following our playbook for 3rd downs. Bring 1 delayed....  zzzz The only time our D was changed up was when only half the D heard the play call and botched it and left Djax passed onto Montae. Was that half our defense in cover 1?  Beatniks dig that was the difference maker in the game.  We think we are finally getting advanced stats.... we are still in the stoneage.  Advanced stats guys will flip a coin and decide to blame Montae or the corner and ruin their rating.

It was not a communication error IMO.  It was an mistake by coaches to try change the playcall without enough time for all players on the field to know. A plan for DJax deep should have been in place all game long, especially after the first TD. Its like we didn't know he was an elite deep threat. Like philly didnt know about TMC. Maybe ManU figured he was washed up or pulled a hammy on that first TD.

Edited by RandyHolt

to add to all of this, I don't wish injury or turmoil on other teams........buttttttt..................

it seems like every time washington plays philly, its the redskins playing the game without their most impactful players and the eagles always have theirs (other than wentz missing a game or two).    name me the 4 best players on the redskins roster before this season started?  You might have named:

Trent WIlliams

Jordan Reed

Jonathan Allen

Adrian Peterson

And for a myriad of reasons, all of them were out on Sunday.   I can't imagine ever facing the Eagles without Fletcher Cox, Zach Ertz, Jason Peters, and, say, Jordan Howard because whenever they play them, washington is ALWAYS missing their key guys and Philly ALWAYS has their lineup in tact.  Injuries & penalties are the biggest problems for the redskins. for 3 years now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

As I posted earlier (from the NFL rules) once a defender touches the ball the out of bounds player becomes eligible again (all the offensive players become eligible for that matter). That is why i was asking if the defender touched the ball first.

Yeah, I had thought that during the game they ruled that Richardson went out of bounds on his own. If he's forced out, then a receiver is eligible to come back inbounds and make a legal catch. Doesn't matter if the defender touched it first.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Yeah, I had thought that during the game they ruled that Richardson went out of bounds on his own. If he's forced out, then a receiver is eligible to come back inbounds and make a legal catch. Doesn't matter if the defender touched it first.

If you go out of bounds you become an ineligible receiver doesn't matter if you are forced out or step out on your own.  And if a defender touches the ball all ineligible players become eligible.  Not saying Richardson was eligible (as the replay that is posted is inconclusive) just saying he would have been eligible to catch the ball if the defender touched the ball before he did.  If the ref had called it a TD the replay could not have overturned it (unless there was a better shot showing Richardson touching the ball first).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nonniey said:

If you go out of bounds you become an ineligible receiver doesn't matter if you are forced out or step out on your own.  And if a defender touches the ball all ineligible players become eligible.  Not saying Richardson was eligible (as the replay that is posted is inconclusive) just saying he would have been eligible to catch the ball if the defender touched the ball before he did.  If the ref had called it a TD the replay could not have overturned it (unless there was a better shot showing Richardson touching the ball first).

This is not correct; trust me on this. If you are forced out, you can come back in and legally catch the ball. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. On another note, if I had been in the replay booth and there had been a challenge, it's a TD.............but you're not going to get that call reversed in the current setup.

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Who's lost for the season ?

Allen and Guice should be back within weeks.

Our defense isnt the same without Allen, that could cost us more then we can afford jus while hes out.

I think Casanova should be playing over Ryan Anderson. He needs to be the first one rotated in, I almost feel like he's currently better than Sweat right now and wouldn't be opposed of him starting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think Casanova should be playing over Ryan Anderson. He needs to be the first one rotated in, I almost feel like he's currently better than Sweat right now and wouldn't be opposed of him starting. 

He had a lone sack, which of course was really just a 0 yard scramble.  But Casanova is looking good 😉

Maybe Ryan should have been moved to Mike or FB.  But he is hanging in there until someone better comes along. 

Edited by RandyHolt

I came out of that game more mad at myself than the Redskins... I left my parents house just before the Eagles got that field goal which I thought for sure was going to be a touchdown to drive the nail in the coffin.. my best friend told me and he could be off his rockers as usual that the Skins tried an onside and darn near got it?.. instead of being a mature fan .. I threw a temper tantrum and stormed out of my parents house.

#imisspsmith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skinzplay said:

This is not correct; trust me on this. If you are forced out, you can come back in and legally catch the ball. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. On another note, if I had been in the replay booth and there had been a challenge, it's a TD.............but you're not going to get that call reversed in the current setup.

The rule did change in 2016. You are both right.  

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/08/rule-loophole-closed-on-out-of-bounds-receivers/

If he went out on his own, and didn't re-establish himself in bounds -its incomplete no matter what happens next, and no penalty. 

If he went out on his own, DID re-establish himself and was first to touch it - penalty.

if he went out of bounds on his own, re-established himself, and wasn't the 1st one to touch it -its a completion.

Since no flag was thrown and no TD given - it means that the refs decided that EITHER he never re-established himself in bounds - so its incomplete.  OR - that he re-established himself in bounds but caught the ball out of bounds.  The call on the field was NOT that he touched it first -otherwise it would be a penalty.  

• Like 2

Here's an additional bit of info...

Vontaze Burfict is a guy that fans/teams/players seem to not like very much... Unless he's on your team. That's the kind of guy this team needs. A badass who isn't afraid to do what he has to do.

Watching him last night was awesome. There was a scuffle between the Broncos and Raiders and he ran in and started throwing his guys out of there. No one even flinched at him. They all just moved along. He's got a motor on him. He is intense. 

Sure, he's a suspension risk. But the attitude he brings outweighs that. We don't have any of those guys with that kind of swagger defensively. Norman has confidence, but he's got that "fly in your ear" confidence where it can come across a touch annoying even if it's not meant to be. Collins is quiet. Payne/Allen are quiet. And that's not a bad thing. I just feel like, defensively, we're just missing that spark plug and the unit could be outstanding. And that sparkplug COULD be in the form of a coach, though an on field guy is probably best. 

14 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

The rule did change in 2016. You are both right.  

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/08/rule-loophole-closed-on-out-of-bounds-receivers/

If he went out on his own, and didn't re-establish himself in bounds -its incomplete no matter what happens next, and no penalty. 

If he went out on his own, DID re-establish himself and was first to touch it - penalty.

if he went out of bounds on his own, re-established himself, and wasn't the 1st one to touch it -its a completion.

Since no flag was thrown and no TD given - it means that the refs decided that EITHER he never re-established himself in bounds - so its incomplete.  OR - that he re-established himself in bounds but caught the ball out of bounds.  The call on the field was NOT that he touched it first -otherwise it would be a penalty.  

The re-establishment clause from the 2016 rule change no longer applies for validating legal touches or determining the eligibility of a receiver. If a receiver goes out of bounds on his own, he cannot catch the ball, even if he re-establishes himself and even if it's touched by a defender first. It's a bit weird the way the rule is drafted. It's one of those situation when you know Biceps would've taken about 3 full minutes to cite the entire sections from the rule book. You're absolutely right with those first two examples.

11 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

to add to all of this, I don't wish injury or turmoil on other teams........buttttttt..................

it seems like every time washington plays philly, its the redskins playing the game without their most impactful players and the eagles always have theirs (other than wentz missing a game or two).    name me the 4 best players on the redskins roster before this season started?  You might have named:

Trent WIlliams

Jordan Reed

Jonathan Allen

Adrian Peterson

And for a myriad of reasons, all of them were out on Sunday.   I can't imagine ever facing the Eagles without Fletcher Cox, Zach Ertz, Jason Peters, and, say, Jordan Howard because whenever they play them, washington is ALWAYS missing their key guys and Philly ALWAYS has their lineup in tact.  Injuries & penalties are the biggest problems for the redskins. for 3 years now.

It's football so Injuries are a part of their game. Just to focus on the Eagles when they won the Superbowl it was without their franchise QB/potential league MVP (Wentz), franchise LT (Peters), Sproles got hurt, they lost their kicker and their middle LB. 

Look at any championship team. They all have injuries. I do agree that there comes a time when teams just can't field enough talent to win, but i'd say it's also a mindset. If we are in the habit of always giving ourselves as soon as the injuries happen we are only using them for excuses not to succeed. Back to your list of 4 players: 

Trent - He's not injured. It's just a stupid team thing. That is very avoidable and could have been fixed in the offseason. 

Reed - He's been injured his entire football career. I strongly feel Reed being able to go is a 'nice to have', but far from expected. 

Allen - Eagles also lost Malik Jackson in the game, so if anything there's a bit of a wash there. Both are above average DTs. Allen is younger and Jackson has accomplished more (

AP - He's a 34 year old RB. If our success hinges in that guy then we've planned poorly. Besides, he was benched, meaning when the coaches were picking the roster with the best chance to win he wasn't a part of it. 

Anyway, I've become numb to the injury thing. Do we have a lot? Yes. Should we allow coaches/leadership a bye because it keeps happening? No. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

Trent WIlliams

Jordan Reed

Jonathan Allen

Adrian Peterson

Breh the Eagles beat us in the finale last year with Nate freaking Sudfeld.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

Trent WIlliams

Jordan Reed

Jonathan Allen

Adrian Peterson

The problem is that 3 of those 4 are self inflicted. They could pay Trent or trade him hopefully getting a solid replacement. Reed has been injured since his second season. Why continue to put faith is a guy who cannot stay healthy? Should have moved him off-season - and I said that then. AP on the sideline may be the straw that breaks the camels back for me and Jay. Historically stupid ****ing more. 

Either way, they had time to find replacements and back-ups. You can't just be one player deep at each position. yes it's true they are better team with those 4 in the game. However, you do not need a crystal ball to know that 3 of the four were out. One was their own decision. Just not a very smart organization and have not been since dan bought them. 

This game really made my head and heart battle.  

My head is saying:  You predicted this game to be a loss.  We were so close, a few penalities and a few missed calls, from a major upset.  We looked good for quite a bit of the game.  10-6 still looks like a reality.

My heart is saying: Something feels off. Where were the penailties on the eagles?  That block in the back was SO obvious!  And when we were winning at half time, zero buzz from the nfl analysts.  Its almost like they wanted the eagles to win.... almost like that's why they didn't get flags.  How could a team that rested its starters in the preseason not be making mistakes to get penalities.  Somethings off.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

Sure looked to me like his second foot landed out of bounds, so it's all a moot point anyway.

18 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

name me the 4 best players on the redskins roster before this season started?  You might have named:

Trent WIlliams

Jordan Reed

Jonathan Allen

Adrian Peterson

You might have, but you'd be wrong. 

Thankfully, because if the best this 6 win-level team had to offer consisted of 75% players who were well into the downsides of their careers, it would be an even sadder situation than I think it is.

Penalties didn't bother me this game. Sure they seemed to favor the opponent but it wasn't egregious. The mclaurin catch on the sideline favored us for instance. 

I think a lot of our penalty woes are due partially to bad tempo. Compared to league average of play tempo, I would guess that we are very slow. It gives refs time to really focus on what we could possibly be doing wrong, especially in the holding department. Additionally it is just natural to keep the game moving when it is rolling along.. Newtons 1st law and all. 

The Eagles made a smart adjustment to attack the middle of the defense in the run game when Allen got injured. Then once they figured out we couldn't adjust to covering djax it was gg. Our offense failed to execute in the 3rd quarter, and we consistently gave up 3rd and long, which really deflated and tired the defense. I think we were severely out coached in this game. 

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 1