Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Actually, that’s false also.  Bruce is the President/GM and he hired Jay.  

You can dispute whether Bruce is the right guy, but we actually have the most traditional setup right now.

The issue is Bruce is an idiot, and he hired a “meh” coach. He also let Vinny hire Zorn.  So he’s actually done it twice.

But the setup is actually traditional.

The problem is not the structure.  It’s the people in the structure.

Bruce is a lackey just like Cerrato was.

He is technically the GM, but he was initially hired to be Shanny’s logistics guy. He stuck because he knew how to tell Snyder what he wanted to hear. 

Hiring people who were previously run out of the league — something Snyder has done twice — tells people all you really want is Yes men. 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I want all of the top guys gone.  

I would like to scrap everyone except Kyle Smith and the scouts that he trusts. That's it. I don't even really care that much about Schaffer, though he's fine to stay as the contract guy. But we need someone like Kyle with a wide view on the roster and the future telling him where to spend. 

Listening to Chris Russell right now.  He had his bad period of getting things wrong years back but he's been on fire in recent years especially on the FO.  He broke the Scot story.  He had Doug getting the promotion first.  He had some of their D coordinator interviews before any of the beat guys did.  He could be wrong here but he's no clown when it comes to info about the FO.

His point is from what he hears Jay has no power in that building right now.  The ones who will decide what happens with Manusky will be Bruce/Dan.  He joked that their fate will probably be determined after Bruce/Dan do their drinking fest with each other tonight.

I recall other beat guys have said Dan hates eating coaching contracts and that includes the assistants.  My point here is the idea that Dan likes to throw money around might be passe or it might not apply to coaches.    

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I would like to scrap everyone except Kyle Smith and the scouts that he trusts. That's it. I don't even really care that much about Schaffer, though he's fine to stay as the contract guy. But we need someone like Kyle with a wide view on the roster and the future telling him where to spend. 

Is he part of some GM tree like Wolf or Polian? I would give him the keys and say "Bring me to glory". Then tear down Ashburn and build the best state of the art facility money can buy

Can't stress it enough: defense is a huge problem and it's a scheme thing , not a player thing.  Haven't multiple players called it out?  Didn't we release swearinger basically because he said our D coordinator was doing stupid ****?  It's plain as day, we are hopeless on defense unless we get a turnover.  It has to change, like , now.  This second half scoring on us is going to continue.  We will lose every game that way .

Just now, Hooper said:

Bruce is a lackey just like Cerrato was.

He is technically the GM, but he was initially hired to be Shanny’s logistics guy. He stuck because he knew how to tell Snyder what he wanted to hear. 

Hiring people who were previously run out of the league — something Snyder has done twice — tells people all you really want is Yes men. 

No, here’s where hatred of Dan clouds your view. 

Nothing about out the last 6 years scream Snyder. They’ve been conservative to the point of being ridiculous, they’ve stuck with a coach disappointment after disappointment, they haven’t been aggressive in FA.

Jay Gruden isn’t a Dan hire.  That’s not his MO.

No, Bruce is running the show, and doing it poorly. 

But hes also enough of a sleaze ball to slime on everything, scapegoats everybody, and keep responsibilities.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dan can attract whoever he wants. 

Not sure that's true.   It's one of our disagreements about the status quo.  At the very least there is some question about whether Dan can attract whomever he wants.   He's been turned down at times even years back before the sample sized increased such as Spags.  Supposedly he asked Bowles to name his price but he didn't take him up on the offer.  According to some, Gregg told him no thanks.  According to Laconfora, Dan has also gotten cheap -- seems like that's Bruce's influence but no way to know for sure.   

I do think Dan can go full Raiders and make the job attractive by giving some crazy long and expensive contract.  But got my doubts he would be willing to do it. 

I'm not sure how many years you should give a guy to show you he can coach. Gruden has been with this team 6 years now. After 3 years, it was clear he wasn't a HC and couldn't lead a team. Giving him that extension was stupid, too..........but that came from Rasputin, so not surprising as a little smokescreen during the canning of the previous GM. For any other franchise, Gruden would've been toast years ago; even for the patient Steelers, but then again, the Steelers would've never made the mistake of hiring him in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Is he part of some GM tree like Wolf or Polian? I would give him the keys and say "Bring me to glory". Then tear down Ashburn and build the best state of the art facility money can buy

He grew up with the game, his dad being a pretty famous GM (also a pretty famous asshole, but hopefully that's not hereditary). He's the best shot we've got right now, seemingly. 

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, here’s where hatred of Dan clouds your view. 

Nothing about out the last 6 years scream Snyder. They’ve been conservative to the point of being ridiculous, they’ve stuck with a coach disappointment after disappointment, they haven’t been aggressive in FA.

Jay Gruden isn’t a Dan hire.  That’s not his MO.

No, Bruce is running the show, and doing it poorly. 

But hes also enough of a sleaze ball to slime on everything, scapegoats everybody, and keep responsibilities.

The fact that Allen still has a job tells one all they need to know about Snyder.

I mean, it’s not exactly a secret or breaking news that Allen is a really bad at his job.

No other franchise would hire him before Snyder did — he was done —- and no other one will in the future.

You can’t make excuses for the guy who willingly hired Bruce and is keeping him around when no one else would.

I’d do two things to dramatically improve this team:

1. O’Connell calls plays and Gruden gets in the face of the refs and players to keep everyone honest.

2. Strip Manusky of play calling duties and make him split the duty with Ryan (Manusky makes the initial call and Ryan sends it in).

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

I'll just repeat the thread title for emphasis:  The Skins Can't Win with These Coaches.

The HC has demonstrated time and again what his ceiling is. He's a play designer, not a team leader. Poor decision-making. Slow decision-making. Faulty adjustments (if any). We've seen this for way too many years now. I can him before the young talent on this team is further demoralized. Same goes for Manusky.

Post of the month ! It starts with Gruden and he’s got to go with everyone else

10 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

I’d do two things to dramatically improve this team:

1. O’Connell calls plays and Gruden gets in the face of the refs and players to keep everyone honest.

2. Strip Manusky of play calling duties and make him split the duty with Ryan (Manusky makes the initial call and Ryan sends it in).

I doubt either of these things would dramatically improve the team.

1. O'Connell has never called plays. He may be the sort of genius everyone around here expects (for some reason) but we have no reason to think that.

2. This just makes the defense a bigger mess. If you are gonna do that, you have to just ****can Manusky. The players don't respect him anyways. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I doubt either of these things would dramatically improve the team.

1. O'Connell has never called plays. He may be the sort of genius everyone around here expects (for some reason) but we have no reason to think that.

2. This just makes the defense a bigger mess. If you are gonna do that, you have to just ****can Manusky. The players don't respect him anyways. 

1. O’Connell is unproven, but friggin’ Kellen Moore is the OC for the Cowboys? Gotta give these guys a chance at some point to show their worth. Moreover, Gruden needs to give his undivided attention to the morale of this team, how our D is being handled, and how the refs are gaming us. We are absolutely suffering on game day because Gruden is stretched beyond his capacity- calls come in late, time is mismanaged, discipline is poor, etc...

2. Agreed, though I like the idea of these two competing with each other given their opposing philosophies. I don’t think a worthwhile D Coordinator is on this team, so may as well experiment without blowing everything up.

6 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

1. O’Connell is unproven, but friggin’ Kellen Moore is the OC for the Cowboys? Gotta give these guys a chance at some point to show their worth. Moreover, Gruden needs to give his undivided attention to the morale of this team, how our D is being handled, and how the refs are gaming us. We are absolutely suffering on game day because Gruden is stretched beyond his capacity- calls come in late, time is mismanaged, discipline is poor, etc...

2. Agreed, though I like the idea of these two competing with each other given their opposing philosophies. I don’t think a worthwhile D Coordinator is on this team, so may as well experiment without blowing everything up.

Oh I don't disagree, I'm ready to try anything at this point. Just always trying to temper expectations of O'Connell around here because I haven't seen a reason for all the optimism. I'm all for giving him a chance. I'm done with Gruden in every capacity

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Oh I don't disagree, I'm ready to try anything at this point. Just always trying to temper expectations of O'Connell around here because I haven't seen a reason for all the optimism. I'm all for giving him a chance. I'm done with Gruden in every capacity

I don’t get the O’Connell love either. Media just seems to love writing about young, good-looking coaches. 

That said, yeah, I could see Danny firing Gruden, promoting KOC and eating him alive.

Archived