Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

If they lose this game, and especially if they struggle offensively, I don’t want to hear one word about injuries from Jay or anybody else.

On offense, they have enough play makers to move the ball if used well.  AP, McLaurin, Richardson, Quinn, CT, Davis and Harmon are enough that even without Reed, you can make something out of that group.  It’s nit the Greatest Show on Turff, but it’s something.

Om Defense it’s harder.  However they need to be creative and aggressive.   If they just sit back and let Dallas dictate to them, they will get crushed.  Manusky has to dial up blitzes and force things, especially with a compromised secondary with injuries, and Allen not playing.

No excuses anymore.  Injuries can’t be a crutch for not trying to overcome them.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they lose this game, and especially if they struggle offensively, I don’t want to hear one word about injuries from Jay or anybody else.

On offense, they have enough play makers to move the ball if used well.  AP, McLaurin, Richardson, Quinn, CT, Davis and Harmon are enough that even without Reed, you can make something out of that group.  It’s nit the Greatest Show on Turff, but it’s something.

Om Defense it’s harder.  However they need to be creative and aggressive.   If they just sit back and let Dallas dictate to them, they will get crushed.  Manusky has to dial up blitzes and force things, especially with a compromised secondary with injuries, and Allen not playing.

No excuses anymore.  Injuries can’t be a crutch for not trying to overcome them.  

what you believe and what the reality is are two different things. 

And some would say that when the secondary is compromised you do everything you can to protect it. 

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Manusky dialed up some blitzes last week.

It was pitifully ineffective.

Sadly his blitzes are almost always a variation of the same thing, MLBs blitzing up the A gap or just unleashing both OLBs versus sending one back in coverage.  Predictable.

I am not a big Rob Ryan guy as for him running a defense.  But the dude at least knows how to do some exotic blitzes.  If they get smoked today it wouldn't shock me if he gets elevated to run the whole show on D.

Swearinger got roasted for being outspoken and I get it but in the mix of the soup of his beef with Manusky including how he hardly ever has the secondary blitzing.

19 minutes ago, carex said:

And some would say that when the secondary is compromised you do everything you can to protect it. 

Perception is reality.  My perception is not more correct or incorrect as yours.

protectinf the secondary by letting the opposing QB sit back and pick it apart is a losing philosophy.  We’ve seen it over and over and it has never worked 

If you’re going to lose, go down swinging. 

When you play not to lose, you typically lose.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Perception is reality.  My perception is not more correct or incorrect as yours.

protectinf the secondary by letting the opposing QB sit back and pick it apart is a losing philosophy.  We’ve seen it over and over and it has never worked 

If you’re going to lose, go down swinging. 

When you play not to lose, you typically lose.  

I'd add the underplayed aspect of the defense collapse in the 2nd half is they let the Eagles control the clock.    They annihilated them on time of possession.  You can't let your opponent both score on every possession and dominate the clock when need be.  I'd rather have the opponent score fast versus bleed the clock with a score and doing it on an 8 minute drive.  Same thing happened at times last season -- when a team needed to bleed the clock and keep the Redskins offense off the field to ice a game -- they could do it. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add the underplayed aspect of the defense collapse in the 2nd half is they let the Eagles control the clock.    They annihilated them on time of possession.  You can't let your opponent both score on every possession and dominate the clock when need be.  I'd rather have the opponent score fast then bleed the clock with a score and an 8 minute drives.  Same thing happened at times last season -- when a team needed to bleed the clock and keep the Redskins offense off the field to ice a game -- they could do it. 

Do we agree on something? 😮 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add the underplayed aspect of the defense collapse in the 2nd half is they let the Eagles control the clock.    They annihilated them on time of possession.  You can't let your opponent both score on every possession and dominate the clock when need be.  I'd rather have the opponent score fast versus bleed the clock with a score and doing it on an 8 minute drive.  Same thing happened at times last season -- when a team needed to bleed the clock and keep the Redskins offense off the field to ice a game -- they could do it. 

that's very true and frankly I think it's why people attempting to claim the Skins let up cause they thought they'd won are off base for that game.  One drive was three and out because they dropped three straight passes.  Other times penalties push them out of their ideal plays.  You can't say they went conservative, because we basically didn't get to see what they wanted to do

Just now, carex said:

that's very true and frankly I think it's why people attempting to claim the Skins let up cause they thought they'd won are off base for that game.  One drive was three and out because they dropped three straight passes.  Other times penalties push them out of their ideal plays.  You can't say they went conservative, because we basically didn't get to see what they wanted to do

I agree with this, the offense didn't get a chance really to repeat in the 2nd half because they barely had the ball.  I'll get over it if the defense plays well today.  But in short I was very impressed with the offense last week and unimpressed with the defense. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

So you're pre-preparing excuses for Gruden? That's grim man. Week 2. 

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Manusky am done with. 

I’m going to needle you for no reason: Who hired Manusky, supported him, hasn’t held him accountable, hasn’t fired him and hasn’t replaced him?

IF it comes out that Jay is not in control of his staff, and we’ve heard he wanted Callahan gone but wasn’t allowed to do it, so it’s more than possible Bruce is involved, then Jay is completely absolved. If Jay wanted Manusky gone but was overruled, then that’s on Bruce.

However, if it truly is Jay’s call as to who’s on his staff, as he’s said previously, then this is on his room bill.

I’ve CRUSHED Jay for hiring Barry and then promoting Manusky, because staff composition and management is honestly the most important aspect of being a HC is hiring the right people, setting a direction and managing the whole operation.  Jay has hired a whole bunch of “meh” and the team has been undisciplined and poorly schemed, minus a few obvious exceptions.

I really wonder how different history might have been if Jay had hired Wade Phillips in 2015 when he had the chance.  Or somebody somewhere as qualified.  Instead they ended up with Barry, and the offense had to overcome not only the opponent but their own defense’s ineptitude.  With that one decision, Jay might have grabbed 2 more wins in 2015 and 2016 and had 2 playoff appearances.  And the whole conversation about him might be different...

Again, the caveat is it was Jay’s decision, which he said it was.  It it turns out it was Bruce, different story.  

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m going to needle you for no reason:

I agree with this part.  😀

Who hired Manusky, supported him, hasn’t held him accountable, hasn’t fired him and hasn’t replaced him?

I've explained what's been reported about the Manusky hire and Haz at the time.  The cliff notes is Bruce hates dead money on the books for coaches and that includes assistants.   There are some serious indications Bruce-FO were involved in that one.  I explained that in detail if I recall you even liked my post where I laid it all out.

However, if it truly is Jay’s call as to who’s on his staff, as he’s said previously, then this is on his room bill.

Agree but I suspect Haz was on the FO, Manusky, too or at the very least they strongly hinted that's what they wanted.  I don't think Jay resisted.   But again a coach who resists doesn't tend to last long.  See Marty, Shanny, etc.  You wanted Jay to say screw it and go out battling -- there is some indications that its his attitude this season.  Will see.  I think he's too much of a nice guy to go all Shanny at the FO but I think you might see some push back.  

I really wonder how different history might have been if Jay had hired Wade Phillips in 2015 when he had the chance.  Or somebody somewhere as qualified.  Instead they ended up with Barry, and the offense had to overcome not only the opponent but their own defense’s ineptitude.  

This part I put on Jay and said so in real time when it happened.  It was dumb-arrogant blowing off Phillips.   

Again, you want Jay gone.  I think almost for sure you will get it.  The question is who goes if anyone with him and who comes next. 

If manusky is not fired tomorrow morning there's literally no point in watching this team for the rest of the season. 

He's the most embarrassingly incompetent defensive coordinator I think we've ever had and yes I'm including barry.

I don't want Gruden fired, that'll just turn this season to Chaos and I'd like him to keep developing haskins but manusky absolutely has to go.

Archived