PartyPosse

The 2019 nfl cuts and who we should be interested

As an Eagles fan, I'm really disappointed about Hester. Much more so than Smallwood. He's a legit NFL defensive tackle. Was on the team all last year after they picked him up from the Raiders. Actually played in games. (Wasn't inactive). He's the guy who "blocked" the Parkey "double doink" in the playoff game with the Bears. (It was officially called a block even though it only slightly grazed a player's finger). The Eagles only chose to keep four DTs on their 53-man roster and he was cut. He was BY FAR, the most shocking cut on Saturday. The dude played really well in the preseason. Granted, he's going against backups. I get that. But he was all over the place making plays. Actually stood out much more than the guy they kept for the fourth DT spot, a guy they acquired from the Colts for a late round pick during the draft.

The Eagles currently have a cornerback who's injured and expected to be out until around Thanksgiving. It's pretty much been accepted that they're going to put him on IR this week. So they're going to be adding another player soon. When Hester somehow didn't get claimed (I'm shocked because his name stuck out like a sore thumb on the list of their cuts), I assumed that he very well could be the addition. 

Oh well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, drowland said:

3 of the those players are in the declining stages of their careers.  As a GM why would want them on the bottom of your roster?  Marshall was cut because he's not on the field in nickel packages (which is close to 75% of the time these days) and he doesn't play special teams.  Depth has to play teams.  Wisnewski as been in decline the last two seasons and Kalil never was all that good and is constantly injured.  Skins need to fill in the bottom with ascending players like a Caleb Brantley.

Not sure what happened with Josh Jones but he might be worth a shot.  I'm surprised the Skins only kept 4 safeties when the tread in the NFL is having 3 safeties on the field.  And I'd rather not see Apke on the field with the defense.   

We agree about Jones, who is the one I'd be pounding the table for the most out of those 4 (maybe not pounding, but loudly tapping, definitely louder than the other 3), due to his age and athleticism, as well as our depth issues at FS.

I agree with your viewpoint that we should be targeting young players on the rise, as opposed to older players on the decline. We are not a team that is a vet or two from putting us over the hump, ad we are not a team whose window is closing.  We are a team that hopefully will be able to make a serious run in about 2 years, and we need to be targeting players that can contribute to our window of opportunity in the future.

That being said: if there is one position group I wouldn't mind signing vets, its offensive line.  For two reasons: I want to allow for the development of Guice and our young WRs, and a competent offensive line will help that, and to protect DH when he plays.  I'd love the skins to redshirt DH for all of 19, but I don't see that happening.  I'd like to see him protected as best as possible.  Also, I don't see Kalil or Wisnewski displacing a younger, more promising player.  I'd actually like to see Flowers let go as part of this transaction for the same reasoning you have: he doesn't fit into our long term plans.  And you make a good point about MK and SW that they are declining and not all that special, but I feel if we brought them in, they might show they are better than what we currently have, especially from a depth perspective, and I feel the OL unit as a whole would be stronger today, without sacrificing the future.  There may be other younger players that would make more sense, but when I was looking at the cuts, no one stood out to me.  

As far as Marshall goes, our ILB room is very young and inexperience, with JHC, SDH, and CH.  I would assume CH to be very active on teams, and IIRC, JHC has been in the past as well.  And both of those guys seem to be nickel LBs (JHC for sure, I think CH held his own in the past too, definitely fast).  So a veteran ILB who can help stop the run in a division vs Zeke and Saquon and a good Eagles team would fit nicely here.  As with the OL, I don't think signing BM is at the expense of a younger, more promising player.  I know some liked Blunt, and they can make a solid case for someone of his make-up, since he would be hitting his prime when the skins put everything together.  

36 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

As an Eagles fan, I'm really disappointed about Hester. Much more so than Smallwood. He's a legit NFL defensive tackle. Was on the team all last year after they picked him up from the Raiders. Actually played in games. (Wasn't inactive). He's the guy who "blocked" the Parkey "double doink" in the playoff game with the Bears. (It was officially called a block even though it only slightly grazed a player's finger). The Eagles only chose to keep four DTs on their 53-man roster and he was cut. He was BY FAR, the most shocking cut on Saturday. The dude played really well in the preseason. Granted, he's going against backups. I get that. But he was all over the place making plays. Actually stood out much more than the guy they kept for the fourth DT spot, a guy they acquired from the Colts for a late round pick during the draft.

The Eagles currently have a cornerback who's injured and expected to be out until around Thanksgiving. It's pretty much been accepted that they're going to put him on IR this week. So they're going to be adding another player soon. When Hester somehow didn't get claimed (I'm shocked because his name stuck out like a sore thumb on the list of their cuts), I assumed that he very well could be the addition. 

Oh well. 

Thanks for the perspective.  I do think the eagles have very good depth, so I can see how they are forced to let go of good players during cut down day.  While the rumor was initially that Hester was joining our PS, I can now see why they put him on the 53: he probably wouldn't have lasted very long on the PS.  And since we were only carrying 5 DL (3-4 alignment), it made sense.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:25 PM, goskins10 said:

I agree with this - to be honest for me the first and last sentences say it all. He is not the long solution and if you keep him he takes away a valuable roster spot for someone who could develop. 

Did you guys watch McClendon try to play QB against the Ravens?  And did you forget what happened last year?  It would be stupid to release Colt for a low pick right now.  They tried to roll the dice with two QBs last year by putting Hogan on the practice squad and lost him.  Now, Hogan isn't great but would have known more of the offense than poor Josh Johnson last year.  Def woulda outperformed Sanchez!

20 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Did you guys watch McClendon try to play QB against the Ravens?  And did you forget what happened last year?  It would be stupid to release Colt for a low pick right now.  They tried to roll the dice with two QBs last year by putting Hogan on the practice squad and lost him.  Now, Hogan isn't great but would have known more of the offense than poor Josh Johnson last year.  Def woulda outperformed Sanchez!

If Colt could stay healthy I would be Ok with it. I have no problem with keeping a 3rd if they are truly viable. But Colt cannot stay on the field and is a TO machine when he is. I would prefer they put someone on the PS and develop them. If we get down to our 3rd QB then the season is done anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I agree for the last game, but the 1st 3 games Steve Simms didn't do much either. I believe his special teams play gave him the edge though.

He had a TD called back for a Pick play in the first or second game.  It was a pretty weak call and Sims toasted the guy.  

50 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

He had a TD called back for a Pick play in the first or second game.  It was a pretty weak call and Sims toasted the guy.  

Okay well weak call or not. The coaches saw the game film and see him in practice. There must be a reason he's not on the roster. Not to mention no other team picked him up.

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Okay well weak call or not. The coaches saw the game film and see him in practice. There must be a reason he's not on the roster. Not to mention no other team picked him up.

Im Not talking about Cam, I was never that impressed with him.  The call back was a Steve Simms Td.

Just now, NeverSurrender said:

Im Not talking about Cam, I was never that impressed with him.  The call back was a Steve Simms Td.

So you're saying he had 2 Tds? It really doesn't matter either way. He made the team.

Just now, carex said:

well, I guess he and Kirk had a decent relationship them

Hope that doesn't mean Treadwell to the Skins

I'm pretty sure the Skins have the WRs they want. They aren't going to go get Turdwell.

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

So you're saying he had 2 Tds? It really doesn't matter either way. He made the team.

It does matter when it comes down to these guys making the team.  If they were both on the bubble and Steve made more plays then its clear why he made the team.  He out played Cam on offense and ST.  

1 minute ago, carex said:

well, I guess he and Kirk had a decent relationship them

Hope that doesn't mean Treadwell to the Skins

This connection never worked because Cousins needs to see a receiver open and not throw them open.  Doctson doesn't separate well but can go get a contested throw.  Not a good pair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, NeverSurrender said:

It does matter when it comes down to these guys making the team.  If they were both on the bubble and Steve made more plays then its clear why he made the team.  He out played Cam on offense and ST.  

Yeah I agree and I picked the WRs the Skins would keep 2 days before the Skins did. I got every WR right. So yeah I wasn't surprised.

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

This connection never worked because Cousins needs to see a receiver open and not throw them open.  Doctson doesn't separate well but can go get a contested throw.  Not a good pair.

Well Doctson shouldn't have any pressure. He'll be at best the 3rd WR on the depth chart. 

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Yeah I agree and I picked the WRs the Skins would keep 2 days before the Skins did. I got every WR right. So yeah I wasn't surprised.

Ohh cool, so you saw what I saw from Steve.  Glad we agree!

2 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

yet they're reuniting with the Vikings

10 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Ohh cool, so you saw what I saw from Steve.  Glad we agree!

Yes he looks more explosive and can play spacial teams. Not to mention he made a really good catch the other night for that TD. 

Vikings make sense for Doctson when you think about it. 

He's replacement level at best, but despite their two stud starters, the Vikings have maybe the absolute worst 3rd receiver situation in the league. They have two good TEs so it's not the end of the world, but their previous options were Beebe, (who is a zero percentile athlete, the Rob Kelley of WRs if you will) and a late round pick. 

Doctson is an outside guy which also fits, as both Theilen and Diggs do well in the slot.

To be fair...were not really a powerhouse in developing receivers. We honestly should get the steelers wr coach and let ike disappear but hey.  I think doctson got the short end of the stick and if he held on to s few of the dropped balls ..perception would be a little differenr. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 2 pro bowl WR's will get much of the attention so Josh should get some looks, he could be the perfect compliment.

• Like 2

It’s kinda crazy that the Vikings only kept 4 WR on the 53. They must plan on using a ton of 2 TE sets with Rudolph and Irv smith. Probably gonna run a ton of 12 personnel packages.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 1