Sign in to follow this  
Riggo-toni

What team will hire Kyle Smith away to be their GM in 2020?

I am going to predict it's either the Lions or the Bengals. With the Browns now on the upswing, one of the other perennial disappointments needs to step up to make sure Dan and Brucifers' Skins can be firmly established as the elite bottom feeders of the NFL.

As bad as it is seeing Sean McVay elsewhere, watching Kyle Smith draft probowlers elsewhere whilst Brucifer, Prince of Dimness, fumbles in the dark might feel worse.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I know I've been pessimistic about how we did in preseason, but I've got to ask..... Why do people fantasize about getting ****ed over? I get the one liner jokes and stuff like that, I use them myself, but entire threads devoted to imagining the most agonizing way to end the season seems a bit.... Weird?

In before the obligatory "it's what our front office has done to us" post.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I know I've been pessimistic about how we did in preseason, but I've got to ask..... Why do people fantasize about getting ****ed over?

Its the same select group of people that **** and complain about every single thing that happens here. Its been a decade or more with some of them. They will never be happy until they can prove they were right all along.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I am going to predict it's either the Lions or the Bengals. With the Browns now on the upswing, one of the other perennial disappointments needs to step up to make sure Dan and Brucifers' Skins can be firmly established as the elite bottom feeders of the NFL.

As bad as it is seeing Sean McVay elsewhere, watching Kyle Smith draft probowlers elsewhere whilst Brucifer, Prince of Dimness, fumbles in the dark might feel worse.

Bob Quinn has this year and next on his contract as GM for the Lions. I highly doubt that the Lions won't at least let him finish his contract out.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Its the same select group of people that **** and complain about every single thing that happens here. Its been a decade or more with some of them. 

I think a lot who grew up in the Gibbs/CC/JKC era are just carrying lots of scar tissue... Is what it is.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not sure what Kyle Smith has accomplished that would have teams beating down doors for him 

He knows Sean McVay....duh.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I mean....Jim Haslett technically knows Sean McVay too lol 

You have to be under 42 to qualify.  Haven't you read the owners handbook?

11 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not sure what Kyle Smith has accomplished that would have teams beating down doors for him 

He got a birth certificate to show he is not related to Bruce Allen. He also has alibis proving he was never in the vicinity of the Tampa Bay from 2004 to 2008.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He got a birth certificate to show he is not related to Bruce Allen. He also has alibis proving he was never in the vicinity of the Tampa Bay from 2004 to 2008.

Don't forget his career overlap caused him to have a burrito for lunch one day, with Sean McVay.

Kyle said to Sean, "You buy, and I'll fly" which gives him extra bonus points for teams beating down the door for him.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kyle bridges the gap between Sean McVay and Kevin O'Connell. It's the trinity: Sean the father, Kevin the son, Kyle the spirit.

Four times daily, fans must place their Redskins throws on the floor and bow down on it, once to LA and twice to DC. The most devout fans repeat three incantations: Ad nominus jet sweepum, Spider 2 Y banana, and Hail Mary.

Kyle Smith does these things, and thus he is a leader among us. Few can claim to be a more devout or more holy than Kyle Smith.

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Its the same select group overwhelming majority of people that **** and complain provide honest opinions about every single thing that happens here. Its been a decade or more with some of them. They will never be happy until they can prove must always be happy because they were right all along.

Fixed.

Did you see the stadium last year? Do you pay attention to social media at all? Those who hold positive views on the organization are the minority in this day and age for good reason.

It takes some nerve to talk about the last decade of Redskins football as if the negative crowd has been anything but right.  Newsflash: I don't know any realistic/negative Skins fans that take pride in being right that this team is an NFC East cellar dweller.  Not one.  There is no prize for predicting mediocre results for the Redskins.

Now to stay on topic, I have to agree with @BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93.  Nothing to this point suggests anyone has been or will be beating his door down as early as this offseason.  He has the pedigree given his dad, but at the same time his dad was known as a real dick too.  No idea if the apple fell far from the tree on that end.  That said, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him if it meant he truly got to run the football side of the organization and build it the way he sees fit.  If it's just more rearranging deck chairs, I'll pass.

Edit: You always know the post hit home when it gets HardcoreZorn so riled up he 'has' to give the laugh sign.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did you see the stadium last year? Do you pay attention to social media at all? Those who hold positive views on the organization are the minority in this day and age for good reason.

I wont bother fighting you on the other crap that we go round and round on but all I can say is I feel a little bad you aren’t able to find some sort of excitement for Haskins and the Defensive Line we’ve built. A long way to go on Haskins but everyone can see the talent and our Front 7 is no joke. Two critical parts to a championship team. 

But as for the quoted part, I know. All it means is that our fan base was overrated for years. There is no excuse for a half empty stadium at home with a two game lead in the division 10 games into the season. That stuff doesn’t happen in Buffalo and they have been just as pedestrian/perfectly average.  No excuse for ****in and moaning after every close ugly win with an Alex Smith led team. You’d get on here after a win and all you’d here is people bemoan Alex not filling the stat sheet and wondering where Kirk Cousins was. You can point out how almost everyone agrees with you and for good reason, but all it tells me is we had a spoiled ass fan base that walks away when the going gets tough. Current day players don’t deserve it. Sad truth. 

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

He knows Sean McVay....duh.

That settles it.

The Rams will hire him. They will then go on to win 6 Super Bowls in 5 years.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I wont bother fighting you on the other crap that we go round and round on but all I can say is I feel a little bad you aren’t able to find some sort of excitement for Haskins and the Defensive Line we’ve built. A long way to go on Haskins but everyone can see the talent and our Front 7 is no joke. Two critical parts to a championship team. 

I really like Haskins and will be rooting for him.  For my own selfish reasons, I want him playing week 1 - to give me something to care about.  But I know it's probably not in the best interest of both him and what it says to the team.  I really like our D line and our defense for the most part, whether or not Manusky can scheme his way out of a wet paper bag or our linebackers leave gaping holes is another thing.

While you are correct in that a legitimate QB and a defense is critical to becoming a championship team, they also all have to be together, happy, healthy and under contract at the same time.  Along with everything else it takes to build a championship team.  It's not an easy job to make everything align perfectly.  Which is exactly why I have absolutely no trust that Bruce Allen is capable of doing that.  It's hard to find a team in the NFL that literally has nothing going for it at all.  It's a league of parity for a reason.  I'll say this, if Dwayne Haskins is so good he can mask just how pathetic Dan and Bruce run this organization, he's a godsend and a future hall of famer no doubt.  More power to him.

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

But as for the quoted part, I know. All it means is that our fan base was overrated for years. There is no excuse for a half empty stadium at home with a two game lead in the division 10 games into the season. That stuff doesn’t happen in Buffalo and they have been just as pedestrian/perfectly average.  No excuse for ****in and moaning after every close ugly win with an Alex Smith led team. You’d get on here after a win and all you’d here is people bemoan Alex not filling the stat sheet and wondering where Kirk Cousins was. You can point out how almost everyone agrees with you and for good reason, but all it tells me is we had a spoiled ass fan base that walks away when the going gets tough. Current day players don’t deserve it. Sad truth. 

Folks don't stop going to games just because the Skins lose.  I've been going to games at FedEx every season, sometimes multiple games, all through them being terrible, both during the Vinny and Bruce eras.  Packed stadiums of fans screaming their heads off only to walk out disappointed more often than not that still come back the next week for more.  It's about much more than losing.  You want to like what the organization is doing and what they are about, you want to believe.  Why do you think folks were so pumped up when the news that a guy fresh out of rehab that had lost his last 2 jobs to drinking was being brought in to run the whole show?  Because we wanted to believe, no matter how foolish it was to believe that a. he was actually going to run the whole show or b. that it was going to work out.  Fans nowadays are much more knowledgable about how things are ran thanks to technology and the immediate information we have at our fingertips 24 hours a day.  Perhaps it was more fun back in the day, when we didn't know as much as we do now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really like Haskins and will be rooting for him.  For my own selfish reasons, I want him playing week 1 - to give me something to care about.  But I know it's probably not in the best interest of both him and what it says to the team.  I really like our D line and our defense for the most part, whether or not Manusky can scheme his way out of a wet paper bag or our linebackers leave gaping holes is another thing.

While you are correct in that a legitimate QB and a defense is critical to becoming a championship team, they also all have to be together, happy, healthy and under contract at the same time.  Along with everything else it takes to build a championship team.  It's not an easy job to make everything align perfectly.  Which is exactly why I have absolutely no trust that Bruce Allen is capable of doing that.  It's hard to find a team in the NFL that literally has nothing going for it at all.  It's a league of parity for a reason.  I'll say this, if Dwayne Haskins is so good he can mask just how pathetic Dan and Bruce run this organization, he's a godsend and a future hall of famer no doubt.  More power to him.

Folks don't stop going to games just because the Skins lose.  I've been going to games at FedEx every season, sometimes multiple games, all through them being terrible, both during the Vinny and Bruce eras.  Packed stadiums of fans screaming their heads off only to walk out disappointed more often than not that still come back the next week for more.  It's about much more than losing.  You want to like what the organization is doing and what they are about, you want to believe.  Why do you think folks were so pumped up when the news that a guy fresh out of rehab that had lost his last 2 jobs to drinking was being brought in to run the whole show?  Because we wanted to believe, no matter how foolish it was to believe that a. he was actually going to run the whole show or b. that it was going to work out.  Fans nowadays are much more knowledgable about how things are ran thanks to technology and the immediate information we have at our fingertips 24 hours a day.  Perhaps it was more fun back in the day, when we didn't know as much as we do now.  

This is a fair response, I don’t agree on certain things but appreciate the thought in the response and can understand the rationale behind some of it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Fixed.

Did you see the stadium last year?

No one wants to go to the games because the team is not a contender right now, the stadium is in a parking lot miles away from nowhere, and its expensive. Put the stadium back at the RFK grounds, and it will be packed every single game. Sure there are other contingencies. But when RGIII was here, this place was energetic. Ngata sucked the life out of the franchise, and now everyone is afraid to feel something again. But it will happen.

Kyle is a bit of a mystery so its tough for me to do anything but make whatever I can about the crumbs of stuff people have said.  Based on that my impressions are:

A.  Kyle has a different personality from his dad.  Kyle seems like a nice guy (judging by interviews and the few people who have talked about him) but a bit stiff without much personality.

B.  Just listening to all the people (Schrager, Breer, draft geek types) talk about the best personnel guys and up and comers, Kyle typically isn't in that conversation.  So I get the impression at least in some circles Kyle is seen as a 2nd tier evaluator not a first tier guy. 

C.  The ones who seem smitten by Kyle seem to be the ones who worked closely with him or know people in the same circle.  Russell for example has said he heard Jon Gruden thinks highly of Kyle.  Shanny in an interview pumped him up.  the Redskins beat writers worship him.  Kyle just doesn't seem like a national play yet.  Maybe that's a good thing.   

IMO there are 3 variables that might impinge on this in a good or bad way based on me piecing together things I've heard. 

Bruce:  It's been said by multiple people about Bruce that he's your best friend if you have his back and are in his close circle.  But if you go against him or he sees you as a threat, he's the worst enemy you could have.  If there is something to that.  Kyle might be the perfect guy to have in house because can Bruce go against his friend's son?  Plus you figured he'd want to take credit for him, etc.    

Doug:  According to Russell, (who has been right about a lot of FO things) Doug is somewhat upset that his role in reality isn't as powerful as his position sounds.  In other words, his title is more meaningful than what he actually does.  And that if Kyle is elevated over him, he wouldn't be a happy camper

Dan:  Cooley has flat out said (and he did it as a complement not a shot) that Bruce's best skill is playing Dan like a fiddle.  He knows how to play Dan's strings.  Cooley has always said that if there is a next guy who replaces Bruce that includes Kyle -- that person is going to need to get tight and learn to play ball with Dan because that's just how it is there.   Cooley didn't make that point in a nasty way but more Zen like -- it just it what it is so you deal with it. 

Does the next guy have to have some Bruce and Cerrato flavor to them?  Cooley would say yes.  The key thing Bruce/Vinny had/have in common is becoming very close  friends with Dan.  When Cerrato said that part of the reason why they didn't hire Gregg Williams to be the head coach is they watched the playoffs together in an attempt to bond and Dan wasn't feeling it as for the bonding -- I always thought that was the most telling thing I've heard as for how Dan rolls.   Kyle to me doesn't strike me a go out and have beers with Dan kind of dude.  But that's just a guess on my end.  Bruce from meeting him multiple times and watching interviews comes off to me as a natural extrovert and I'd presume can blow smoke up Dan's butt when needed with the best of them.  Kyle seems like an all football kind of guy.  He's said in some of his interviews all he does he watch players and works out and otherwise he's a boring dude.    He doesn't strike me an extrovert.  Vinny also was an extrovert. 

This is my long winded way of saying I don't know how well Kyle's personality meshes with Dan where that would last.  As for Bruce some purport he wants to leave the position on a high after a good season and they get a stadium where maybe people will come around on him.  Some like Cooley (who says is friends with Bruce) have said that Bruce is aware that he's unpopular with the fans.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

No one wants to go to the games because the team is not a contender right now, the stadium is in a parking lot miles away from nowhere, and its expensive. Put the stadium back at the RFK grounds, and it will be packed every single game. Sure there are other contingencies. But when RGIII was here, this place was energetic. Ngata sucked the life out of the franchise, and now everyone is afraid to feel something again. But it will happen.

How do you explain Cowboys games getting higher ratings in the local market than Skins games last season?

Or Skins ratings being down in general?

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

How do you explain Cowboys games getting higher ratings in the local market than Skins games last season?

Or Skins ratings being down in general?

Sadder yet it's gone national.   Sunday Night Football is the prime real estate for football ratings -- now 2 years in row we've got no SNF games.    This time we don't even get a 4 pm game.  The point is the NFL sees this team as yawn as for a national draw.  Years back we were a prime time attraction even when the team wasn't that hot. 

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadder yet it's gone national.   Sunday Night Football is the prime real estate for football ratings -- now 2 years in row we've got no SNF games.    This time we don't even get a 4 pm game.  The point is the NFL sees this team as yawn as for a national draw.  Years back we were a prime time attraction even when the team wasn't that hot. 

I was looking at our schedule today, and noticed for the first time we play a Thursday game the week before Halloween against the Vikings. Knowing how Thursday games work, I think it's the NFL's way of telling both teams low-key that they suck.

Edited by NickyJ