Veryoldschool

2012 NFL QB Class Revisited

Early on it looked like the 2012 NFL class of QBs would be exceptional, like the 1983 class, but not now.  So many have faded away including #1 Andrew Luck, the prize of the class, who has decided to retire after an injury-plagued career.  Luck wasn't a bust but hanging it up after just 7 seasons is a major disappointment.  Robert Griffin #2, is once again injured putting his deep bench career at risk.  I think Robert was signed by Baltimore to decrease the pressure on the franchise to hire Kaepernick.  Maybe Griffin sticks but I doubt it and this may be the end, clearly the biggest bust of the group.

Tannehill, the #8 pick in the draft started for a few years with Miami but he is a backup with the Titans, so another disappointment.  Weeden #22, was a backup for a time in Houston in 2018.  He flopped as a starter in Cleveland, so another 2012 class bust.  Osweiler, picked #57 in the second round has played for a few teams and was at Miami in 2018 I don't know if he is with a team in 2019.  So another disappointment.  The top of the 2012 class produced some early Pro Bowl seasons for Luck and Griffin's flash in the pan 2012 season and the picks following Luck and Griffin were mediocre or failures until the 3rd round.  It is clear the true strength of the class that are the late picks.  Russell Wilson, the clear star of the class after 7 seasons, was drafted 75th in the 3rd round.  Foles was drafted 88th in the 3rd round.  Both of these 3rd rounders have won Super Bowls.  Finally, Cousins, drafted #102 has produced 4 straight 4K+ seasons in his first 4 years starting and shows every sign he'll accomplish more going forward much to the chagrin of his bitter detractors on this board.

What lessons can we draw from this sample?  First, the early play and injuries can shorten a career.  Andrew Luck's retirement is 5-10 years premature due to injuries, playing early played a big part in his demise.  Second, college talent doesn't always translate to the NFL.  Griffin and others thrived in college but proved ill-suited for the NFL.  The NFL doesn't seem to have a good method of determining whether a guy thinks quick enough to play QB in the NFL.  Arms are easy to evaluate but minds?  Not so easy.

Third, talent, in the end, wins out.  Wilson was viewed as undersized for the NFL but has been able to compensate for his lack of height by extending plays outside the pocket and by maintaining drives with his legs.  Built like a running back Wilson has absorbed punishment but he has also exercised good judgment to protect himself.   Foles and Cousins overlooked afterthoughts who persisted and improved to succeed in the NFL when others from the class failed.  Who knows what these 3 will accomplish over the next 8-10 years, they show every possibility of ending up considered the top 3 of the 2012 class.  Russell Wilson looks like the best of the bunch today but during the next 8-10 years, things could change.

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Finally, Cousins, drafted #102 has produced 5 straight 4K+ seasons in his first 5 years starting and shows every sign he'll accomplish more going forward much to the chagrin of his bitter detractors on this board.

"2015 to 2018....carry the one...."

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Trent Richardson with the third pick...OOOOF.

And then even worse, the colts gave up a first round pick for Richardson years later that could have been used for, oh I dunno, maybe an Offensive Lineman to protect Luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Trent Richardson with the third pick...OOOOF.

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And then even worse, the colts gave up a first round pick for Richardson years later that could have been used for, oh I dunno, maybe an Offensive Lineman to protect Luck

And didn't the Browns trade up to get Richardson in the first place? lol...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And then even more worse, the Browns used that first round pick from the Colts to draft Johnny Manziel.  

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

What lessons can we draw from this sample?  First, the early play and injuries can shorten a career.  Andrew Luck's retirement is 5-10 years premature due to injuries, playing early played a big part in his demise.  Second, college talent doesn't always translate to the NFL.  Griffin and others thrived in college but proved ill-suited for the NFL.  The NFL doesn't seem to have a good method of determining whether a guy thinks quick enough to play QB in the NFL.  Arms are easy to evaluate but minds?  Not so easy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing guys early if they're ready.  Luck was probably the most NFL ready rookie QB the NFL has seen in a long time because he ran a NFL style offense at Stanford under Harbaugh and Shaw and he was a 3 year starter.

The whole top 10 looks ugly.

#1: Luck - Retired early

#2: RG3 - Bust

#3: Trent Richardson - Bust

#4: Matt Kalil - Didn't get a second contract, now a journeyman

#5: Justin Blackmon - Still suspended since 2013

#6: Morris Claiborne - Didn't get a second contract, now a journeyman

#7: Mark Barron - Traded 2 years into his rookie contract

#8: Ryan Tannehill - Bust

#9: Luke Kuechly - Successful

#10: Stephon Gilmore - Didn't get a second contract, won Super Bowl with Patriots

That is absolutely brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know who was an undrafted free agent in 2012?

Case Keenum, that’s who.

Nice catch, hopefully, Case has his best year in 2019.

• Like 1

Is it fair to call Luck a bust? I think so. Would like yalls opinions on it. Dude was called the best QB prospect in the modern NFL era since Manning and he retired at 29 due to injuries. If thats not bust potential then why not? He was supposed to revolutionize the position with his strength and accuracy and IQ and all that stuff. I think failing to accomplish anything close to that puts him in bust territory. 

18 hours ago, Llevron said:

Is it fair to call Luck a bust? I think so. Would like yalls opinions on it. Dude was called the best QB prospect in the modern NFL era since Manning and he retired at 29 due to injuries. If thats not bust potential then why not? He was supposed to revolutionize the position with his strength and accuracy and IQ and all that stuff. I think failing to accomplish anything close to that puts him in bust territory. 

Because he was a very good player. Busts are guys who simply can't play well at the next level.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Even before Luck retired, I still firmly believe that Russell Wilson was the best QB of that draft, hands down.

Yes, thus far and a surprise to me.  I saw several of his Wisconsin games and I thought he was just too short and relied too much on his running to have a substantial NFL career.   I was wrong, Wilson runs intelligently to extend plays and is prudent and tough enough to avoid injury.  Foles, Cousins, and some others are still playing and potentially one of them could surpass Wilson over the next 8 to 10 years but as of today with Luck forced to hang it up, Wilson is clearly at the top of the leader board. 

12 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

Because he was a very good player. Busts are guys who simply can't play well at the next level.

Agreed.  His short career and injury-plagued career is disappointing but when healthy was as good as expected.  

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Agreed.  His short career and injury-plagued career is disappointing but when healthy was as good as expected.  

Yep.

Luck's career is a disappointment, but he is no bust because he was very good.

Luck is a disappointment, not a bust.  Though he’s REALLY close.  To me, what makes him not a bust:

1. He did have several pro-bowl calibre seasons.

2. The  lots won with him at QB.

3. The colts didn’t trade up to get him,  they had the #1 pick and used it. 

4. He wasn’t a distraction, no off the field issues. 

5. He got a second contract. 

My “high draft pick with some success but still a bust” guy has always been Lavar Arrington.  Guy has all the talent in the world, was a top pick, however was completely uncoachable, the team never won, he was a distraction. He couldn’t get along with Gregg Williams, Gibbs, Marvin Lewis. Or (I believe) Ray Rhodes. That’s just unbelievable. 

Griffin also, but there’s not a lot of debate about that one. 

• Like 1