Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Awesome Problem ; How do you say we split the carries ?

Malapropismic Depository

So Guice has pretty much convinced everyone he's 100%, and he's ready to take some regular season hits.

AP in preseason thus far, has looked just like the dynamic AP of last season.

But "All Day" isn't going to be running all day, when we have a guy like Guice.

So then comes the problem we havn't had in a long time, but would love to have ;

how do you alternate and split between such a pair of game-changing backs, when you already have a 3rd down back who's entrenched on that "down".

A multi-part question.

One, in what way do you alternate them ; should it be situational, and in what situations ?

Two, would be the percentage. Should it be cut down the middle, and each of them get 50% of the carries ? 

And can you envision plays where they're in the backfield at the same time ?

And also, can we keep them both happy ? I seem to recall in New Orleans, there was tension with AP, and I believe he was upset about his number of carries, but I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Guice has pretty much convinced everyone he's 100%, and he's ready to take some regular season hits.

AP in preseason thus far, has looked just like the dynamic AP of last season.

But "All Day" isn't going to be running all day, when we have a guy like Guice.

So then comes the problem we havn't had in a long time, but would love to have ;

how do you alternate and split between such a pair of game-changing backs, when you already have a 3rd down back who's entrenched on that "down".

A multi-part question.

One, in what way do you alternate them ; should it be situational, and in what situations ?

Two, would be the percentage. Should it be cut down the middle, and each of them get 50% of the carries ? 

And also, can we keep them both happy ? I could be wrong, but I recall in New Orleans, there was tension with AP, and I believe he was upset about his number of carries, but I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

And can you envision plays where they're in the backfield at the same time ?

I don't think there will be an issue like in New Orleans. He felt disrespected there as they felt he was washed up. 

We gave him a chance and let him prove he still had gas in the tank. Big difference. 

Give Guice 90% of the carries. If AP complains trade him. Guice is our future. Sure if he is out of shape or cannot handle 30 touches a game, back off the 90%. 

We don't need to watch AP for 4 games to know there will be a passing of the torch.  Guice is near the class of superbacks that deserve a majority of the touches. If AP was an all down back, I would be more apt to be close to a 70 30 split. But most backs they say they need tons of touches, including AP. Welp the same then holds true for our future.

Jay needs to heavily employ all down players to move past telegraphing issues.  Jay does not owe AP starts based on playing for us last year.

@RandyHolt but why put extra mileage on Guice when you don’t have to, especially when AP might actually still be more product?  Guice hasn’t played a real game in 2 years, coming off an ACL, and you have a luxury of having AP who might actually still be better.  There is no question AP currently has better vision and can set blocks up better.  And is probably just as fast and as much of a threat to take the ball to the house...

So what’s wrong with splitting carries and keeping some of the thread on Guice? 

I’d want to see Guice get a good number of carries, and if he’s in a groove, fine, but there’s no reason NOT to use AP as well.  

They need to get over Perine and just cut him.  He’s fine but nowhere near in the league of Guice and AP.  This is a Gruden crush along the lines of Rob Kelly, Colt McCoy and Ryan Grant.  

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

the question is who starts.  I think AP should start.  If he’s going well, then you ride him and spell him with Guice. 

Agreed.  I only want to see CT on 3rd downs or obvious passing situations.  No more "up the middle keeping it honest runs", let Guice do that.

The reality is each of our three top running backs have reasons they shouldn't get too many carriers.  I agree with AP being the starter, but it would be a mistake to run a 34 year old running back into the ground, that just feels like asking for it.  Give him enough carriers to not piss him off like New Orleans did.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Agreed.  I only want to see CT on 3rd downs or obvious passing situations.  No more "up the middle keeping it honest runs", let Guice do that.

The reality is each of our three top running backs have reasons they shouldn't get too many carriers.  I agree with AP being the starter, but it would be a mistake to run a 34 year old running back into the ground, that just feels like asking for it.  Give him enough carriers to not piss him off like New Orleans did.

What I would probably do is give AP the first 3-4 carries.   If he’s biting off huge chunk plays, you ride that.  Otherwise, you get Guice in there and give him the next 3-4 carries.  See who has the better feel for the game and give that player more carries.  

Also, I WOULD alternate them a little bit regardless because it shows a different loom to the defense which can be beneficial as well. 

Agree with VOR. Runnings backs have a limited shelf life, if AP can reduce the mileage put on Guice, it will allow us more years with Guice in prime condition. 42.23% AP, 28.64 % Guice, 27.9% Thompson. remainder 1.23% reserved for 2 fake punt runs with JP Holtz and one 38 yard scamper by Dustin Hopkins on a bad snap.

10 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Agree with VOR. Runnings backs have a limited shelf life, if AP can reduce the mileage put on Guice, it will allow us more years with Guice in prime condition. 42.23% AP, 28.64 % Guice, 27.9% Thompson. remainder 1.23% reserved for 2 fake punt runs with JP Holtz and one 38 yard scamper by Dustin Hopkins on a bad snap.

That’s awful specific. And mad kudos for having the math actually add up. (Yes, I checked your math :) )

I see it like an Ingram/Kamara split that the Saints used in 2017.  Except they only had 2 bs is and when AP was involved, it didnt work.  But CT fits his role better than AP did then.  So AP gets about 15-20 touches, Guice gets about 10-15, CT gets about 5-10.  That's running and receiving touches. 

And then they ride the hot hand in a given week.  So then if Guice is the hot hand every single week, the ratio flips to his favor.

What will be interesting is to see what Guice does in the passing game, receiving and blocking.  That will probably impact things.  AP's not much of a receiver, but he knows how to pick up a blitz.

I agree with several above, I hope AP is given a good amount of carries, he has earned them and runs hard, while giving guice some carries mixed in.  Allows the spotlight to be off him and him to ease his way in coming off an acl.  No need to overwork him so soon.  I'd like to see CT / rb4 sprinkled in as well, with CT continuing his 3rd down / pass catching role.  I'd also like to see guice get some 3rd down work, I think he can succeed there.  Take our time with love, only put him out there if he is 100%, if not, wait til next year.   

AP 45%

DG 35%

CT 15%

RB4. 5%

AP points to heavy run. CT heavy pass, and that's when Jay runs CT into trouble.

I am curious how our offense will do with an all down back. Am I the only one? Guice can be an all down back and predict he will be sooner than later. Backs largely graduate fully ready and he is no different.  It's time. He is cleared.

In a nutshell our offense will be:

Guice all downs. OR

AP in on first and 2nd down. CT on 3rd.

Which offense do you want to see?

I want AP as his backup - light work so fully ready to go if we need him for 25 touches in week 10. Yeah Jay will do the time honored slow passing of the baton so nobody cares what I want to see.

Folks are worried about easing Guice in but AP is no spring chicken, IMHO CT himself needs a lighter workload than previous years.  I don''t want to wait until week 10 to work the guy with the lowest mileage.

If our run blocking dominates vs the 8 mans we will see (bah or not) AP coming in off the bench fresh late in the 3rd or 4th could be a nail gun into coffins. I bet you kind of want to see that. I don't think he wants to come in off the bench, of course. Few do.

I really like what I've seen from Guice, but he's still a rookie In terms of experience. AP is the seasoned vet who played really well last season and doesn't appear to be on the decline quite yet.

Let Peterson start initially and sub in Guice when AP needs a breather. If Guice starts to look good, then stick with the 'hot' back and keep him in for another series or two. I wouldn't just give Guice the starting role based on preseason, let him earn it in a real game first.

11 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I really like what I've seen from Guice, but he's still a rookie In terms of experience. AP is the seasoned vet who played really well last season and doesn't appear to be on the decline quite yet.

Let Peterson start initially and sub in Guice when AP needs a breather. If Guice starts to look good, then stick with the 'hot' back and keep him in for another series or two. I wouldn't just give Guice the starting role based on preseason, let him earn it in a real game first.

So Guice should sit for at least 6 games like Haskins, until he's "ready" 😀

I think we all see this being a dynamic thing that evolves over the course of the season. What I state was for the optimal performance of our offense, not necessarily week 1 as the highest priority. 

We will need our run game to dominate so look for any edge we can get to be unpredictable, since Jay talks about it so much.

Our feeble passing game will need play action. Its going to be tough sledding vs the stacked box and so passing vs that 8 is one way to make them back off. Since i expect that early in the year, it's why I prefer Guice early.  Don't wait until 4 weeks of a grounded offense to trying being the least predictable as possible.

AP/CT Sprinkle of Guice Weeks 1 through ?  I will take the under.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, RandyHolt said:

Give Guice 90% of the carries. ...

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

I guess i was wrong though, week 1 DID seem the highest priority for Jay.   I cannot be the only one intrigued to see AP come in off the bench and finish off teams late in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

Archived