Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Andrew Luck Retiring from NFL

CRobi21

Calvin is up there.

It takes a lot to make a guy retire. A lot of injuries.  If not, they are keenly aware of the long term healthy issues players deal with. We are spoiled we want the greats to play until we decide they have declined enough.

I'll assume Indy's OL is going to suck ass this year hence the late summer fantasy ****ing retirement.

It was reported he is "mentally worn down,"  - not sure what that means.  He has been through a lot of tough injuries.  His current one didn't seem that bad, but maybe it was worse than reported.

Still a big shock and a major blow to the Colts.   Don't seem them recovering this season.

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That is beyond messed up, I wish endless hell upon that franchise now.  Dude is not a robot, and basically gave them a mulligan after Manning broke his neck for them, literally. Fanbase Jus as classy as their owner...

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Being a dual threat QB is hard in your body. We have seen it ourselves. I would think twice before I ever drafted another one if this dude couldn’t do it. 

Nah, what killed Luck wasnt the fact he was dual threat, but that he rarely had an oline and jus got beat into submission. If anything hes an example that even an elite QB has a limit if they dont get adequate protection.  I hope the Redskins see this and realize that's what their risking having a crappy oline with Haskins, I doesnt matter how good he is if he takes too many hits, he'll tap out eventually, too

I hate that the guy couldn't even make his retirement announcement on his own terms. People, especially Schefter, somehow feel like they always need to break news. So awful seeing that he was booed about his retirement before having a chance to announce and explain his rationale for stepping away from it all.

I wish Luck well. Only he can determine how much his body should take. All those injuries and problems can have cumulative effects beyond the physical. I hope the young man enjoys and makes the most of his life away from the field.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Did he really go from confident he would return to he's quitting football for good....in 5 weeks?

No, he went from telling JLC he was confident to return to retiring in 5 weeks. 

Big difference. 

2 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I hate that the guy couldn't even make his retirement announcement on his own terms. People, especially Schefter, somehow feel like they always need to break news. So awful seeing that he was booed about his retirement before having a chance to announce and explain his rationale for stepping away from it all.

I wish Luck well. Only he can determine how much his body should take. All those injuries and problems can have cumulative effects beyond the physical. I hope the young man enjoys and makes the most of his life away from the field.

If you read the tweet, it says “filed to ESPN.”  This basically means the team told the media, who then kinda have to report it.  

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I've always wondered if I was an pro athlete, how would I keep it secret I was retiring. You obviously have to tell your coach/GM/Owner. And there are a lot weasels in that group throughout the league. But good grief no one ever gets to go out on their own terms. I've never liked Schefter or Rappaport. I think they are both muckrakers who are emblematic of the twitterverse mentality of get it first before getting it right. They happen to be the guys who get it right more than the rest though.  But what bugs me most is that people in the league feed them this info despite the intentions of the person who actually has the news to give. Luck's the latest guy to have this happen to him. Tomorrow it will be someone else. 

Something tells me he will be back.  Retire and heal for a year, then your itch for football has to be scratched.  Favre did it, what 3, years in a row and Luck is what, 40 years younger ?  He'll be back.  Maybe he's starting a new trend of "**** it I'm retiring until I feel like I wanna play again ".

All jokes aside, if dude is that mentally uncomfortable, he should set football aside and get right.  We never know what these guys are going through.  

2 minutes ago, Dirt said:

Something tells me he will be back.  Retire and heal for a year, then your itch for football has to be scratched.  Favre did it, what 3, years in a row and Luck is what, 40 years younger ?  He'll be back.  Maybe he's starting a new trend of "**** it I'm retiring until I feel like I wanna play again ".

All jokes aside, if dude is that mentally uncomfortable, he should set football aside and get right.  We never know what these guys are going through.  

I thought that about Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. Some guys aren't wired for football and other guys live for it. Favre was a guy who lived for it and loved it. I don't think he ever wanted to retire, but was sort of forced out of Green Bay. If Luck has been smart with his money, he is financially secure and if it's just not in him any more to go through it, he should retire and stay away. There is a chance he comes back, because you never say never and last year showed he can still play at an MVP level. But as a football fan, I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to come back. 

Archived