• Blog Entries

    • By TK in ES Coverage
         0
      The Bill Callahan era began here at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. For the first quarter it was really,really bad football being played by both teams. 
      The Redskins were determined to establish the Run game. The First Quarter all they established was that they still couldn’t run. Or pass. Or do much of anything. 
       
      It wasn’t until the 2nd Quarter that Peterson was able to start ripping the worst Run D in the League for chunks of 18 & 24 yards. The Skins managed to score a TD with a 25 yard pass to Scary Terry McLaurin. 
       
      The Dolphins would open the Second Half only managing five plays before the Redskins would get the ball punted back to them. They would run a balanced run/pass attack of six plays for 70 yards in 1:25 ending in McLaurin’s second touchdown of the day. The Defense would then get a turnover allowing the Offense to get to Field Goal range and add another 3 points to make the score 17-3. 
       
      To open the Fourth Quarter, Hopkins would miss a 55 yard Field Goal, leaving the score at 17-3.  After being sacked five times, the Dolphins would pull their own switcharoo at QB and go to Ryan “Neckbeard” Fitzpatrick which resulted in a touchdown drive for them, making it 17-10. They went for & recovered the Onside Kick. They also managed to not score any points after that. The Dolphins would find theirselves with ball at the 2:00 Warning. Fitzpatrick would take them on a 9 play 75 yard touchdown drive with six seconds remaining on the clock. Miami went for the win with the 2 Point Conversion and failed. The Redskins would recover the onside kick by Miami and Keenum took a knee to get the Redskins their first win of the season. 
desertbeagle85

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

Recommended Posts

Before the season started, I recommended we cut him and Norman, not because there was no talent, but because it was likely a wasted season and the two were unlikely to produce anywhere close to a level worth what they cost.  Reed is so talented, top 3 in the NFL in my opinion.  But his career is essentially over due to injuries, and we should have cut him in the offseason.  Some players bodies were just never meant to handle the NFL.

 

Instead, due to poor forsight by Brucey and Co, we will lose out on $19 million in cap space next year that we would have had.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Reed wants to continue having an NFL career, he needs to go to a better team with a legitimate staff that can handle his medical concerns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Before the season started, I recommended we cut him and Norman, not because there was no talent, but because it was likely a wasted season and the two were unlikely to produce anywhere close to a level worth what they cost.  Reed is so talented, top 3 in the NFL in my opinion.  But his career is essentially over due to injuries, and we should have cut him in the offseason.  Some players bodies were just never meant to handle the NFL.

 

Instead, due to poor forsight by Brucey and Co, we will lose out on $19 million in cap space next year that we would have had.

Both will be gone, I think after this season.  Norman will save us $12 million and Reed would save us $8.25 million so that's $20.25 million however there is still dead cap space with Reed as he is signed for 2021 also for $8.75 million.  I don't know how that would all be spread out but Norman would save us the full amount as next year is his last year on the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Before the season started, I recommended we cut him and Norman, not because there was no talent, but because it was likely a wasted season and the two were unlikely to produce anywhere close to a level worth what they cost.  Reed is so talented, top 3 in the NFL in my opinion.  But his career is essentially over due to injuries, and we should have cut him in the offseason.  Some players bodies were just never meant to handle the NFL.

 

Instead, due to poor forsight by Brucey and Co, we will lose out on $19 million in cap space next year that we would have had.

you were right on the money...Reed really should retire, why would he come back to this mess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dyst said:

If Reed wants to continue having an NFL career, he needs to go to a better team with a legitimate staff that can handle his medical concerns.

 

Medical staff has nothing to do with these concussions and going to another team won't stop him from taking hits. Only retiring from football will help him at this point.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

 

Medical staff has nothing to do with these concussions and going to another team won't stop him from taking hits. Only retiring from football will help him at this point.

 

Someone will have the unpleasant and unenviable job of telling him that he shouldn't play anymore.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for Reed. He has battled through a terrible string of injuries. The recommendation to get that stem cell injection before fully knowing what was up with his feet was unthinkably stupid. Score another one for the J.D. Power & Associates training staff of the century.

 

Also, if you have a player who has been through what Reed has been through, you play him sparingly in the preseason. There was no reason in the world that he should've still been in there. He's not a rookie who needs to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Score another one for the HC who has made nothing but superb decisions over the course of 6 years in Ashburn.

 

You don't take concussions lightly. Sure, not having him out there has an adverse effect on our offense, but his health is the #1 concern. If he has to sit 5 weeks or even longer, then so be it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

concussed_0.jpg?itok=joskF6rI

The brain of a 66-year-old former NFL player shows increased binding of the translocator protein across many brain regions compared to binding seen in healthy controls.

Image credit: Johns Hopkins Medicine

 

Someone should ask him just WHY ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

 

Medical staff has nothing to do with these concussions and going to another team won't stop him from taking hits. Only retiring from football will help him at this point.

We’ve heard countless times where this team has rushed players back or misdiagnosed something. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legitimate team were better able to handle something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I like Jordan Reed and the guy is very talented when healthy. The problem is he's never healthy. The skins clearly have to release him and save the money next year. If he was smart he would retire anyway. Either way the Skins need to look at replacing him next year and moving on from him period. 

 

Jordan Reed could be out “weeks

 

Washington ruled out tight end Jordan Reed for Monday night, and he might not return for “weeks,” JP Finlay of NBCSportsWashington.com reports.

Reed hasn’t played since being diagnosed with a concussion in the third preseason game Aug. 22.

He has never played a full 16-game season in his seven years in Washington, and Reed now has seven documented concussions dating to college, Finlay reports.

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/21/jordan-reed-wont-play-monday-could-be-out-awhile/

What bothers me about this is that it speaks to a deficiency in team management. Not about Jordan, but about his backups. Why was Holtz cut and put on the practice squad (only to be immediately stolen?) Why was Holtz cut on the same week we wound up having to place two other players on IR?

 

Now, Holtz isn't a game changer or an all star. Heck, he might never be better than a back up, but the team needed that back up. Until Reed was up and going and CLEARED to play there was no need to demote him. It was a dumb, short-sighted, and over-optimistic move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Someone will have the unpleasant and unenviable job of telling him that he shouldn't play anymore.

I’ll do it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’ll do it.

 

K, well if you need someone to watch your back in case he lashes out and tries to beat your candy-ass....

 

...find someone else other than me.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27672809/sources-redskins-te-reed-career-jeopardy

 

Quote

Any player who has suffered the number of concussions that Reed has -- it is difficult to pinpoint the exact number -- puts himself at grave risk by playing again.

The Redskins had been counting on having Reed, a former Pro Bowler and one of their best players, this season. But in Washington's third preseason game last month against the Falcons, Reed suffered his latest concussion, which already has knocked him out of the first three games of the season.

Reed, 29, still would like to resume playing, but it is hardly automatic that he will. The more time that goes on without him coming back, the less likely it is that he will return to a sport in which he has excelled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

No reason to ruin the rest of your life for this franchise imo 

 

Ya, go ruin your life with an elite QB. That’ll make it worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

Ya, go ruin your life with an elite QB. That’ll make it worth it. 

 

Don't think that's the point he's making. This is no different than Calvin Johnson. He was tired of taking a beating so he walked. He knew he wasn't going to be playing for a SB with the Lions. So at that point what's the point. Take your money and walk. Reed should do the same thing. 

 

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Someone will have the unpleasant and unenviable job of telling him that he shouldn't play anymore.

 

I'm pretty sure no one has to tell Reed this. At this point with all the studies about concussions. He's probably known for a while he should retire. Yet he doesn't and that's his choice if he's cleared. His long term health should be a real scare to him at this point. 

Edited by desertbeagle85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dyst said:

We’ve heard countless times where this team has rushed players back or misdiagnosed something. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legitimate team were better able to handle something like this.

 

You clearly don't know how concussions work in the NFL now. The team doesn't get to clear him. The NFL is involved in deciding if he is cleared to play or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concussions are no joke. If you are questioning a guy who is concussion prone not playing anymore, read up on CTE and concussions please. This is among the absolute most serious injuries in the NFL and sports in general. 

 

Not seeing many actually saying that, but just in case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never heard that. I was playing Madden ‘07 the other day and Clinton Portis got a concussion but was back on the field two quarters later so I’d like to know where you’re getting your info from.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

 

Don't think that's the point he's making. This is no different than Calvin Johnson. He was tired of taking a beating so he walked. He knew he wasn't going to be playing for a SB with the Lions. So at that point what's the point. Take your money and walk. Reed should do the same thing.

1

 

I think the point @wit33 was making is that there is no franchise worth ruining your life for, so saying that Reed shouldn't ruin his "for this franchise" is a bit idiotic ("idiotic" is my opinion). It should just be "Don't ruin your life for football", period.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our two best offensive players haven't played a down this season.

 

Gruden can't wait to get fired and go be a college coach or OC for his brother. 

 

The next coach will find out this franchise is cursed -- or at least is experiencing some real karma under Snyder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was just coming to post that, this needs to be over, for his own sake, I don't want to see him play anymore.  

 

For everyone calling out Reeds toughness or commitment to the game and tired of having to make excuses for him, you finally got your wish.  Be careful what you wish for.

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Our two best offensive players haven't played a down this season.

 

Gruden can't wait to get fired and go be a college coach or OC for his brother. 

 

The next coach will find out this franchise is cursed -- or at least is experiencing some real karma under Snyder.

 

I don't see this team as cursed, just stupid and cheap, especially now.  There's no logical reason to keep investing in players with known injury histories excpet saving money and having built in excuses for why you lose when they get hurt.  Blaming injuries on our seasons going to hell is like saying Thoughts and Prayers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I think the point @wit33 was making is that there is no franchise worth ruining your life for, so saying that Reed shouldn't ruin his "for this franchise" is a bit idiotic ("idiotic" is my opinion). It should just be "Don't ruin your life for football", period.

These guys are competitors and want to win.  They are already taking a gamble with their health for the money.  But watching the confetti rain down is a childhood dream.  Many guys play when they shouldn’t all to fulfill that dream.  Given there is absolutely no chance of fulfilling that dream with this team, it would make the decision easier.  That’s what I took from it.

 

But yeah, the wise decision would be to not put yourself at risk no matter what goals one is trying to achieve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I think the point @wit33 was making is that there is no franchise worth ruining your life for, so saying that Reed shouldn't ruin his "for this franchise" is a bit idiotic ("idiotic" is my opinion). It should just be "Don't ruin your life for football", period.

Well since the guy has already made the decision to keep playing after all of these concussions (this conversation should have been had years ago), it’s stupid to do so for the Skins imo. That’s my point 

 

“Idiotic” coming from you is funny. You get into back and forths over meaningless semantics in every thread I open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RWJ said:

Both will be gone, I think after this season.  Norman will save us $12 million and Reed would save us $8.25 million so that's $20.25 million however there is still dead cap space with Reed as he is signed for 2021 also for $8.75 million.  I don't know how that would all be spread out but Norman would save us the full amount as next year is his last year on the books.

The issue is, by keeping them a year longer than we should have, we lose out in $19 million in cap space.  If we had cut them this past offseason, we would have had an extra $19 million in cap space THIS year, which we then could roll over into next year and future years for a real rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.