desertbeagle85

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

What gets me about these hits is stuff like what happened with cam sims.

He drive his knee into the defenders head so hard it knocked him out and yet sims bounced up like nothing ever happened. 

How did the defender get knocked senseless and cam didn't even get up hobbled.

Those helmets sometimes seem pretty useless when it comes to brain injuries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

He drive his knee into the defenders head so hard it knocked him out and yet sims bounced up like nothing ever happened. 

Pretty simple explanation - your brain isn't in your knee.

Just like in MMA, typically the attacker who knees someone in the head is unphased.  But the guy who takes the headshot ... yeah.

But it didn't knock him out.  I went back and rewatched that play.  After he got hit, he got up and was on his feet.  The camera panned away and he was out of view when he went down to the ground.

• Like 1

The good news is he doesnt seem afraid of contact after catching the ball.  

But everytime this dude touches the ball, I'm on pins and needles.  It's almost uncomfortable watching him play now.  

And him hopping up gave folks a false sense of him being ok.  So you cant even count on him looking ok in the moment.  This is just his career now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

He's had like 7 concussions. If he got another one I doubt he'll be ready week 1.

Doesn't work that way.

Every concussion is different.

Posted (edited)

I thought that shot on Reid was intentional.

The DB looked to have no other plan except to hit with the crown of his helmet. There was no tackling technique employed, he wasn't trying to move his head to the side and connect with the shoulder.

We all complain about ticky tack calls on helmet to helmet when it seems incidental.. we get upset over the 'defenseless receiver' rule,,  but THAT hit is exactly what they are trying to remove from the game.

IMO, that player should have been ejected, and I am no shrinking violet who thinks the game is too rough. Quite the contrary, i really like the physicality of the game, and i do believe in hard hits to separate receivers from the ball. 

But THAT..   that is NOT how it's done. That was egregious and should be used going forward as a text book "what not to do" instructional video for tacklers.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But everytime this dude touches the ball, I'm on pins and needles.  It's almost uncomfortable watching him play now.  

I agree. This is the same way I felt watching RG3 in the end.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bang said:

IMO, that player should have been ejected....

Unfortunately, ejecting a player won't un-concuss Jordan Reed.

Ideally, these hits would all be reviewed in real time by the NFL and, if it was determined that a cheap shot occurred, the head referee would announce that the offending team's head coach, coordinator and position coach for the player would be docked 10% of prorated compensation for the year.  Then you'd seen an end to cheap shots.

• Like 3

It was definitely a cheap shot, the helmets are useless as mentioned in prior posts.  Reed should hang it up, it's not worth it, history has showed life long complications from concussions.  

Going forward, some possible punishments.

1. expulsion from the game and two future games - depending on the player this might be impactful. 

2. Fines - This do not work as most of this players earn a lot of money

3. Hold the guy up and have someone hit him the same way.  ( Just kidding of course) 

4. Other...

• Thanks 1

Jordan seems to get hurt no matter where he takes the hit, its a shame because the talent is there.

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Jordan seems to get hurt no matter where he takes the hit, its a shame because the talent is there.

If he has another concussion he may want to consider calling it a career. How much more can he put his head through? Would hate to see him keep getting concussions, I've lost count how many he's already had.

• Like 3

I agree, it felt like the scouting report was Reed gets concusions a lot and they went right after it they way you sometimes see players tackle in a way that targets a part of the body recovering from injury.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bang said:

I thought that shot on Reid was intentional.

The DB looked to have no other plan except to hit with the crown of his helmet. There was no tackling technique employed, he wasn't trying to move his head to the side and connect with the shoulder

~Bang

This is exactly what I was saying on the first page.  Reed had already been wrapped up, tackled, and was on his way to the ground.  The helmet to helmet hit came after this, like a stray dog entering the situation just to add something unnecessary to the situation.  That defender played zero role in Reed being tackled/stopped, he just entered the situation merely to add an extra hit on Reed after the fact and he did it leading with his helmet.  From my understanding, this is the exact type of thing the NFL is looking to get rid of as opposed to the incidental contact where a ball carrier and defender are both making a move and their helmets accidentally collide.  I wonder if the hit would have been reacted to different had Reed laid on the ground afterwords instead of popping right up to signal first down.

Edited by NoCalMike

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

Unfortunately, ejecting a player won't un-concuss Jordan Reed.

Not in this immediate case obviously, however it should deter it, and hopefully prevent a possible 8th or 9th concussion on Reed.

So yes, it could have a direct effect on him, "un-concussing" him in the future.

By not ejecting, basically says it's okay to do it. You have to at least attempt to deter it.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

I didn't watch the game live (I typically don't for preaseason)... but I checked out the hit... 

I wouldn't say it was malicious. But it was certainly a relic hit in the sense that he was clearly just trying to make a play, but led with his head. So it was dirty for sure, but I don't think Neal was attempting to hurt the guy. The problem with relic hits, though, is that they are not only dangerous for the receiver of the hit, but the guy giving the hit. The guy is typically airborne when they hit someone like that... if the receiver comes down at a different angle, not only with the hitter take initial head trauma, but their head could be caught under the hitees helmet as they make contact with the turf.

It's dangerous football. 

Any updates on how he's doing today?  Really worried about this situation, feel like if it's truly a concussion, he really needs to consider hanging it up.  Hate to see this go down like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Doesn't work that way.

Every concussion is different.

Okay and the more you get. I'm sure the more cautious doctors are to allow him to play. As well as his own personal feeling about playing. This is a serious issue and he'd be smart to call it a career.

• Like 1

Preseason or not, you HAVE to play him. He either gets concussed now or snap one in game one. So Jay shouldn't blame himself for that part.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I expect a ****ing fine.  And it would be well deserved. 

Here's a couple of articles where the player Keanu Neal makes a similar head hunting hit but denies that he's a dirty player, he doesn't mean to lead with the crown of his helmet, blah blah blah...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18042445/keanu-neal-atlanta-falcons-hit-not-dirty-player

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/keanu-neal-lot-gray-area-nfls-new-helmet-rule

Edited by Rocky21

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

The defender went for the legs while Cam was in a sprint. You mess with the bull... etc.

Jordan Reed is tragically cursed. Opposing defenses know he's our best pass-catching option and they're looking to expose his concussion vulnerability. One shot takes our best weapon out of the game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Any updates on how he's doing today?  Really worried about this situation, feel like if it's truly a concussion, he really needs to consider hanging it up.  Hate to see this go down like that.

I'd be a mother ****in son of a ****in pissed off ****in sock cuckin son of a ****!!..reports of him having his best camp since forever and his career end in a meaningless pre season game...I'm already ****ing fuming and not trying to sound selfish obviously his health is numro uno but I've been drooling for some fresh reed...that ****in prick needs to be ****in hung I'm soooo ****ing pissed!!

Edited by bakedtater1
Edit content
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

What sucks about this is there is really nothing he can do to avoid hits like that.....it was what, the 3rd defender who showed up on the play just diving in there to lay a hit when Reed was already wrapped up and being tackled to the ground?  

I know Reed has the "can't stay healthy wrap" but maybe they need to make penalties for helmet to helmet hits more severe because there is nothing the ball carrier can do in those situations to protect themselves.

Well they are more severe in that these are the ones that draw fines and suspensions. Crap happens.