Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

desertbeagle85

Gotta feel bad for Reed. Yeah, he got a big contract, I know. Seems like a good guy who just had a lot of bad luck with injuries. Was one of my favorites to watch the rare times he was healthy. I remember that one Eagles game where they put their best corner on him and he still couldn't be stopped.

26 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Gotta feel bad for Reed. Yeah, he got a big contract, I know. Seems like a good guy who just had a lot of bad luck with injuries. Was one of my favorites to watch the rare times he was healthy. I remember that one Eagles game where they put their best corner on him and he still couldn't be stopped.

I always think back to the playoffs where he had 9 catches for 120 and a Td.  At halftime Howie Long said, “get Jordan Reed the ball.”

It still angers me that he was even playing in that preseason game. People ask why Boy Wonder approaches preseason the way he does; this is one reason. You play guys like Reed sparingly in those worthless games (if at all), and give that time to rookies who need to prove themselves and develop an understanding of the speed and nuance of the pro game.

Baffles me that they really thought they could trot his ass out there this year and nothing was gonna happen, despite the rave reviews he got when no one was allowed to blast him this spring/summer. He is an injury magnet.

It's been over for a couple years now. Shame it could potentially end like this. 

7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

You clearly don't know how concussions work in the NFL now. The team doesn't get to clear him. The NFL is involved in deciding if he is cleared to play or not. 

Nothing is the Skins fault. It’s the NFL conspiracy against them, Mara, the refs, the fans or bad luck. Poor skins.

16 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

I don’t understand folks that think this injury is the result of fragility. Reed was targeted and received a blow known to cause devastating head injuries. 

How can this not be due to fragility, after everything that we now know about concussions, and the resulting susceptibility to another, coupled with a massive shot like that to compound things. 

That also doesn't take into account all of the other ailments he's had, that probably average him out to barely 12 games a year since 2013. That is the definition of fragile. It's not his fault, but this isn't really an unforseen development. Some people just aren't meant to play the game of football at this level, and the more he kept playing, the more he increased his chances of something like this in particular, whether from an accumulation of hits or one masssive shot.

Why haven't we done the obvious, and IR'd him?? 

Hindsight whatever, I think a fine argument could have been made within a week or 2 after the concussion, that he should have been put on IR.  For his own good.  I am not an internet doctor but it points to deep down not caring about the players health. Seeing if he can go.

Hindsight part deux but Jay seemed to use him more in that preseason game than he needed to. 

Hes gotta stop unfortunately. No one dislikes the dude and its a bad way for it to end. But its not worst case scenario. We still have time to avoid that. Last thing I want to see is this dude die on the field. That would ruin football for me and im sure many many people. Sounds selfish but seriously, dont let him on the field, Redskins. Enough is enough. Hes going to die if he keep this **** up. 

29 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Sounds selfish but seriously, dont let him on the field, Redskins.

I agree but this is where it gets hairy, theres no precedent for the NFL telling a player that he can no longer play due to his health.

Something tells me the players aren't going to like that.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

I agree but this is where it gets hairy, theres no precedent for the NFL telling a player that he can no longer play due to his health.

Something tells me the players aren't going to like that.

Johnny Knox tried to play again but no one would let him. 

14 hours ago, dyst said:

Nothing is the Skins fault. It’s the NFL conspiracy against them, Mara, the refs, the fans or bad luck. Poor skins.

I love when you're losing a argument. You go back to the same stupid rant. Point is you can't blame these concussions on the Skins and if you're trying to do that. Well you're delusional

On 9/22/2019 at 6:05 AM, dyst said:

We’ve heard countless times where this team has rushed players back or misdiagnosed something. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legitimate team were better able to handle something like this.

Teams have no control over when concussed players return to the field.

22 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Well since the guy has already made the decision to keep playing after all of these concussions (this conversation should have been had years ago), it’s stupid to do so for the Skins imo. That’s my point 

“Idiotic” coming from you is funny. You get into back and forths over meaningless semantics in every thread I open. 

Hmm...I can't tell if you know what "idiotic" means lol...

Jordan definitely has his share of fragility problems, that is on him and some on the skins training staff.  However, I feel like Reed is targeted by defensive players.  They know if they hit him high, there is a good chance he has a concussion.  They get a 15 yard penalty (Maybe a fine) but to them its worth not getting burned over and over.  Think about what Reed does to these defenders on tape.  When they get abused so bad the teams will use that as leverage in contract negotiations.  Maybe thats a stretch, but they know he is soft so they target his head.  Think about that Cowpukes game last year.  That was the most blatant targeting hit I have ever seen and of course it wasnt called.  But over and over you see people take shots at him.   

21 hours ago, skinzplay said:

It still angers me that he was even playing in that preseason game. People ask why Boy Wonder approaches preseason the way he does; this is one reason. You play guys like Reed sparingly in those worthless games (if at all), and give that time to rookies who need to prove themselves and develop an understanding of the speed and nuance of the pro game.

It wouldn't have made a difference.  It was only a matter of time with him.  Maybe they coulda gotten a few weeks out of him, but Jordan Reed avoiding concussive hits is a big ask.

Not like avoiding playing people in the preseason has helped prevent anybody on our team from getting injured in the past anyway.  

Jordan Reed is going to be Jordan Reed, no matter what part of the season you play him in. If he didn't get hit in the preseason, he was going to get hit too early in the regular season for it to have made a difference to the team.

I recall the talk from when he got his extension signed in 2016, a rare thing for a Redskin then and now. There were people wondering whether he was going to be one of the cases where we extended the wrong person because of the injuries. As much as I love Jordan Reed when he's on the field, the doubters were right.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Jordan Reed is going to be Jordan Reed, no matter what part of the season you play him in. If he didn't get hit in the preseason, he was going to get hit too early in the regular season for it to have made a difference to the team.

I recall the talk from when he got his extension signed in 2016, a rare thing for a Redskin then and now. There were people wondering whether he was going to be one of the cases where we extended the wrong person because of the injuries. As much as I love Jordan Reed when he's on the field, the doubters were right.

No doubt return on Reed deal has been bad, but I’d do it all over again or with the next guy in a similar situation. The elite talents are so damn rare. Didn’t work for the Skins this time around, that’s for sure and I’ve been a supporter of keeping Reed all the way. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Baffles me that they really thought they could trot his ass out there this year and nothing was gonna happen, despite the rave reviews he got when no one was allowed to blast him this spring/summer. He is an injury magnet.

It's been over for a couple years now. Shame it could potentially end like this. 

It's also baffling since guys like McLaurin were completely held out of preseason. They can claim it was injury, but I think that was an exaggeration.

If McLaurin, a rookie, can survive without preseason, how much more should Reed be held out, taking all things into consideration, such as his experience level, injury history, etc.

Reed easily could have skipped preseason, and would not have skipped a beat, performance-wise, in Game 1.

Archived