Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD: REDSKINS VS. FALCONS

SkinsGuy

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There are certain eternal laws of football.  The team who dominates the line of scrimmage almost always wins is one of them. 

Those Giants teams weren't just a defensive line though.  They had an awesome offensive line too, and stability at QB.  They won on both sides of the line and that's the real championship formula.  You can win with a dominant defense and a trash OL, but you have to thread a tiny needle and your QB has to be Russell Wilson good.

Those Giant teams also had Eli playing at a hot level in the playoffs and had really good WRs(Plaxico in 07, Vic Cruz in 11).

Well I guess we learned what we already knew:

Pros: Defense looks solid

Cons: Offense looks terrible

What we already knew knew: Jay Gruden is a terrible coach and I dont know why hes still employed.  In 5 years the "offensive minded" coach has managed to turn our offense into pooh, and his play calling is atrocious, and when given two opportunities to test his players with a 2 minute drill, he uses neither.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Our schedule is tough. We're not as good as the Eagles or Cowboys. We play quite a few real good QBs that will torch the middle of our pass D(Pats, Vikings, Packers, potentially Lions and Jets). I think the only teams on our schedule we're legitimately better than are the Giants, Dolphins, and maybe 49ers. Of course we'll beat a few other teams because we're better then 3-13, but 8-8 might be tough. Honestly if we go 8-8 with this offense Jay Gruden should win COTY.

Actually overall based on last year’s results it’s actually like the 3rd easiest schedule overall.  Which means nothing.  The opening games look tough on paper.  But you don’t really know.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Actually overall based on last year’s results it’s actually like the 3rd easiest schedule overall.  Which means nothing.  The opening games look tough on paper.  But you don’t really know.  

That is true, but I'm also working under the assumption that a lot of the "bad" teams on our schedule are going to be significantly improved, like the Jets and Lions.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That is true, but I'm also working under the assumption that a lot of the "bad" teams on our schedule are going to be significantly improved, like the Jets and Lions.

I’d be willing to bet a few of the bad teams get good and a few of the good teams get bad.

Only because that always happens...

Every single opposing tram fan base which cares about these things have the Skins game penciled in as a win.

The Skins won’t go 0-16. (Though if it meant regime change I wouldn’t hate it...) so some folks are wrong.

And the Patriots won’t go 16-0.  

Shrug.  

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was talking about the post he was responding too.  It was transgressive in form but beautiful in economy.

That sounds like something a college professor would say.

34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're a madman to bet on this team. 

Nah' the opposite, it's a great game to bet' the move is to bet the money line, because the skins could win outright, then bet the skins with the points as a hedge.

Another aaid the line is 8.5+ 

I expect the money is going on Philly, I'll wait and see. But I do like them at 8.5 allot!

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah. I feel like this is a perfect storm of our schedule looking easy but in reality we’re facing a ton of teams primed for significant turnarounds like Buffalo, Jets, SF and GB

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I swear it seems like he took a similar vicious shot to the head last year, too.

I remember because he got super pissed about it, that I think even he was penalized for how he reacted.

But it really seems like teams are tryin to take him out

I was thinking the same thing. But it’s kind of hard to believe at the NFL level and in a preseason game that such would take place. It was about as blatant as you will see however.

3 hours ago, mexaskin said:

I don't think they had too much to say about their teams performance. They kinda had to switch gears. Announcers in the local market get paid to put butts in the seats. It was annoying but that's what you get with local coverage. 

Yeah but that whole sales pitch was planned and scheduled, regardless of whether or not they had anything to say about the team. Should have done it at halftime, if at all. 

7 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I know preseason doesn't count, but since we did decently at the dress rehearsal...doesn't that count for something?

The final score doesn't count but the good individual efforts in the game do.

This is the second week in a row that the Redskins starting D held the opposing teams starting O to zero points.

Our running game with Guice looks strong, and they didn't even use Peterson tonight.

The passing game looked decent to solid. Not spectacular, but they did move the ball. 

Haskins once again improved from last week. Not so much in stats, but he looked more comfortable out there.

The o-line did well, minus Flowers. I forsee Martin starting at LG soon.

Special teams looked good tonight. Most likely because this was the "dress rehearsal" game, they played their ST aces and not just the scrubs that won't make the team.

All in all, a good effort by the Redskins last night.

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Well I guess we learned what we already knew:

Pros: Defense looks solid

Cons: Offense looks terrible

What we already knew knew: Jay Gruden is a terrible coach and I dont know why hes still employed.  In 5 years the "offensive minded" coach has managed to turn our offense into pooh, and his play calling is atrocious, and when given two opportunities to test his players with a 2 minute drill, he uses neither.

I have no idea what game you were watching.

Was the Redskins offense the greatest show on turf?

No, but they weren't "pooh", either. They moved the ball reasonably well. 

Sure, there were hiccups, but what do you expect with 2 new QBs running things? It will take time for them to get completely comfortable.

Especially Haskins.

5 hours ago, nonniey said:

BTW am I right that Jimmy Moreland only played in the first half?  If that is the case wouldn't that indicate he is now in the top 4 rotation at CB on the team?

I don't remember seeing him in the second half.

But keep in mind he mainly played early last night because Fabian Morneau sat out with an injury (just as a precaution).

But them starting Moreland like that shows you how much they like him. Moreso than Stroman, who played with the second team, I believe.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Second pre season game I've been impresses with 62 Ryan Bee.

Awful hit on Reed. Fear the worst with that.

Got to a think Haskins starts sooner rather than later.

Such a dirty and avoidable play.  This is where I wouldn't mind the NCAA targeting rule being implemented in the NFL.

Randy Randoms

Where's the love for Cassanova 😉. Galdi thinks he is a lock for the 53.

That Reed hit... yikes. Cross your fingers.  I still want the leather helmets dammit the hard plastic shells make defenders fly head first like superman.

Perine had some wiggle. He had holes last game - no wiggle at all. Yes he has vision. I wonder if Jay unleashed him and told him to ignore the play call and go find the hole. He went from no cut behind the line in week 2 to cuts behind the line. Tiny sample size but he looked like a different back.  It's all for naught as I think both he and Marshall get the axe, since Guice had a healthy showing.

Doctson with the 1s - he ain't going anywhere.  But dare I think with a top 5 run game we can live off of play action, and not miss him.

It was interesting to see JoeT in the booth and the starting lineup graphic had Geron in with the 1s, but it was Penn. Nice try Joe. It's Penn. Geron at RT later confirmed he is our swing.

I think we saw a peak at what our D will do. Rush 4 and then bring a 5th on a slight delay.  I kind of like that approach - playing defense is not sprinting at the QB full force on every play as much as I would like it to be. Find the gap and go.  That may be our standard "blitz", and my hope is bring it a little earlier in games. We won't be doing the Haslet maniac cover 0 but with our front shouldn't have to. I still think it would foolish of Jay to play a soft shell D all year. Maybe bring 5 and shell on the back will be our base pass D, short of full on prevent / 3 man rush.

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I swear it seems like he took a similar vicious shot to the head last year, too.

I remember because he got super pissed about it, that I think even he was penalized for how he reacted.

But it really seems like teams are tryin to take him out

That was in the Dallas game.  He got mad because it happened right in front of an official and they didn't call helmet to helmet.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/22/jordan-reed-hit-helmet-redskins-cowboys-video

So, i was at the game and cannot for the life of me understand the connection to some of the these comments to the actual game that again I saw in person. 

Offense - 

- It was clear they were working on the run game - something they have needed to do desperately for a long time. And they got Guice a lot of great work. More on that later.

- Oline was what I expected - Ok at times but gets blown up on key pass plays. However, they actually held together a little better than i thought. Case helped them a few times but then he hurt them too. That fumble/int was just a poor decision. Having said that, it was nice to see someone fighting for plays - more on that shortly.. Flowers is an enigma. He can look amazing one play and like total **** the next. It is early fro him as a LG. He has the physical ability. Having said that, Martin looked pretty good - albeit against the 2s and 3s. They will star slow but could grow into a decent unit by mid to late season. 

- QBs - Case looked decent. Not great - made some head scratcher plays (see the fumble/int) but he made some nice plays too. He is more elusive than some of th QBS we have had recently. He get let down by Reed on a really nice drive they had going. Once drive in particular Reed let a ball go right through his hands for a 1st down on a really nice drive. There was also a miscommunication on an RZ play. Clearly he and th WR were nto on the same page. Those are to be expected in preseason. Still, overall he was no horrible. Had a decent command of the offense and they generally moved. Not sure what game some of you were watching. 

Haskins - I left after the 3rd Q so I do not know what happened after. Bit the Q I saw was again as I expected - he made some really nice plays but in fairness Jay was really working on the running game. He missed that out on the TD but it was close. The WR (did not see the player) could have stretched a little better but he saw the play and made the correct read. That was encouraging. 

RBs - Guice is the real deal. He looked very good. He made some very nice reads and cuts. He is shiftier real time than it appears on video. He did make a few mistakes but he is still in fact a rookie. Glad to see him get a catch too. I think that is an underrated part of his game. They did not throw to him a lot in college but it's because they did not need to. When they did (for example the 2018 Citrus Bowl where he caught 2 TD passes) he was effective. Good first outing for him.  

Perine - Looked the best I have seen him but against the 2s/3s. But he showed some vision, broke some tackles and overall had one of his best outings as a Redskin. Still not sure he makes the 53. This may have been a way to develop trade capitol? Or maybe he makes the team but he will be buried in the depth chart. But good outing for him. 

Thompson - Well he was Chris Thomopson. He just is so much faster than everyone else. They need to give Jimmy Moreland a new number. I kept thinking Thompson wsa on D and then I thought I saw Moreland on Off. Same number!  LOL

TEs - That hit on Reed was straight out dirty. Keano Neal should miss game time for that garbage. If Reed has a concussion, he should retire immediately. It's still just a game. He needs to protect himself. I hope he is healthy. In terms of football - he looked OK. He let a sure 1st down from Keenum go right through his hands though. I am much more interested in his health though. Hope he is OK. garbage cheap shot by Neal. 

The rest- MEH. Sprinkle had a nice catch and the blocking by all was fair. But no one outside Reed really scares anyone. 

Defense -

Dline - Good but not as good as i had hoped. But Matt Ryan is a very good QB. I had hoped they would get to him more often. They started slow and did not get much pressure. However, Atl came out throwing the ball all over. In then end they made the plays to stop them. After that first drive, they tightened up. Still I was hoping to see at least a few sacks. And they let Ryan out a few times to run for yards. They need to clean that up. All in all not bad but not as dominating as i had hoped to see - like they were against Cinn. But it's just preseason. They were mostly just rushing 4 with a trailer from time to time. 

LBs - Sweat was the real deal. He looked great. Kerrigan did his thing. The ILBs were OK. Nothing special but nothing really bad either - yes you may be able to pick a play or two but overall they did Ok but nothing special at all. Although, Bostic was in on some nice plays. So there is hope for this unit that I expected to be the weakest and they were. 

Secondary - The two that stood out were Moreland - that kid is fearless and made some really nice plays, not just on pass plays but great support in the run game. I worry about his health. He is a pretty small guy. But seems study enough. Landon Collins made his presence know. He made some really nice plays - both in the run game which we expected but also in pass coverage. He saw what looked like a slot guy in motion and followed out and broke up a pass play that no one else had covered (Not entirely sure that wsa his guy, but he made the play). Ryan threw a couple of really nice passes but overall yds were tough for him to find. 

Overall D did a pretty good job. They held the 4th best passing Off from last (6th overall) to 7 pts and that was from a very short field. 

ST - The fake punt was silly on Atl parts. Ok, 1st drive of the 3rd preseason game and you fake punt. Of course it's going to work. Karma is a **** - 2 fumbles in the 2nd half! The best part was we recovered them both. How many times has the other team fumbled and we just stand around admiring the ball. Hopkins was 100% I believe. Tres Way was booming that ball- although what was that touch back from his 37? It was 8 yds deep, Nice kick but should not a be TB. Try to pin them. Cover teams did nto get much work as Hopkins keep kicking out of bounds. Overall STs was pretty good. 

Coaching - now this is where many of you will disagree - but I do not care. Agian, it's clear they came in wanting to work on the run game. And they did work on it and it looked pretty good. Got Guice lot's of work. Yea, the last 43 seconds of the 1st half were annoying as hell. That was at least some on Keenum. But overall the play calling was decent despite what some of you have said. They were moving the ball. We are still stalling in the RZ. 1st and goal at the 1 and get a Fg is annoying. Also, the penalties were way down. I did not see the final count but there were very few in the 3 Qs I saw. 

I would have liked to see him be more aggressive with Haskins but I get they are letting him work in slowly. I think that's a good plan. Those calling him chicken and a coward for playing Case - get over it. It's the right move to really develop Haskins. He is just not ready. Let him get some more snaps and watch a few regular season games. It will not hurt him. 

Overall not a bad game - not spectacular either. But not bad. Atl is being picked as a dark horse SB contender. And their Off is always really good. Redskins held up to them and the offense was good enough. The best news is that outside Reed there were no other injuries that i know of. I get Reed is a big one. But it's just one. Typically have been multiple injuries per game. 

In the end, it was a preseason game. Anyone drawing too many conclusions from one dress rehearsal is asking to be wrong. They did some nice things and made some mistakes. It's exactly what you expect.

One last thing - people have been trashing Jay for not playing many starters. Look around the NFL, that is the new approach by most all teams. The 1s are getting less and less playing time in gms 1 and 2. All teams are trying to protect from losing guys in preseason. I don;t blame them. Would I like to see the starters play more? Of course. But I get the reluctance. 

So when the falcons faked the punt in the first drive, i heard all of y'all laughing at me over ben Kotwica and my ****ing about special teams last week.

yeah yeah yeah :D

Anyway, MUCH better performance on our special teams tonight. No matter what, getting two turnovers are HUGE. it doesn't matter if they were due to falcon mistakes (especially the 2nd one.. woof! what was he thinking?). .  being Johnny-on-the-spot to grab the muffed ball is big.

Good hustle, good awareness, and two massive huge plays. In the reg. season those plays win games. no other way to put it. WIN GAMES.

As far as I'm concerned, the WR question may be very crowded, but Robert Davis made the team on special teams last night.  He was right there for the first fumble (I don't think he got the ball in the end, but he was on it), and he was right there on the second one and made a difficult recovery on the sidelines. he has shown his value in the passing game, and on teams he's shining.

returns have been Ok for the most part during the preseason, and last night they tightened up considerably on coverage...   obviously helped by a Falcon return man working hard on getting cut.

so here we go, coach whoever!

~Bang

My hot takes:

-Mannn I miss Flowers being on the Giants,. Never in my life thought I'd say this, but I miss Luavao. Flowers stood out as the worst lineman in the game by a longshot. How can a guy with 1st round pedigree really be this bad. I saw some good out of him in the previous games and was just starting to buy into "Callahan worked another miracle." I could go on and on but watching him hurts my feelings.

-Donald Penn had a nice rebound game.

-Overall the D was very solid.

-Alright, I'm buying Moreland. I'm not calling for the next Deion Sanders, but he can play at this level.

-I asked teenage jesus for no catastrophic injuries and it pretty much worked out. I pretty much assume Jordan Reed will be injured, so this was about the least surprising thing of the night. I hope he has a mentor who is discussing the idea of retirement with him, it's getting sad.

-Guice looked good. 

-Sweat made an appearance in pass rush, but didn't set the edge on a couple of rushes. Still, I'm very high on this kid.

-Kidsy with the 1s? I've liked what I've seen out of him so far, but does he have a real chance to make the team. PS with Steve Sims.

-I watched the first couple of drives of the 2nd half and Haskins looked fine. Made some nice passes, missed some passes, but man I love his toughness and pocket awareness/movement. This is a key trait for a successful qb... especially one with a make**** OL.

-McKinzy should make this team.

-It's preseason, I understand that we're trying things and all, but the 1st half is a dress rehearsal. We ran it on 1st and 15. Manusky had Anderson kicked out way outside on a pass rush. I guess these types of ill-advised plays and personnel will always exist here...

-Special Teams looked like they've practiced. I'm very grateful to have Hopkins. 

Overall, this is about exactly what team ES thought would happen. Strong D, questionable O.

Flowers just looks sooooo slow.  He is massive, but he's got no twitch or burst off the snap and he doesn't want to move his feet.

He's not nasty either.

He's just not a good player.  IMO #78 should definitely be starting over him.  Martin's got a freaking punch and he only had one bad rep in pass pro that I saw (failed blitz pick up--didn't recover to it fast enough after the combo block).

Archived