Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: A federal program says you should keep your home above 78 degrees

Destino

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a literal first world problem.  Actually not even the whole first world, more of just an American, Japanese, and Chinese problem.  I read an article once that said that only something like 4% of African households have air conditioning.  And even though over a billion people live in the region and it's equatorial and hot year round, their per capita kilowat hour consumption of energy for air conditioning is miniscule.

It's not about toughness, although if anyone thinks 80 degree air temperature with 40% humidity is actually uncomfortable, then yes they are absolutely soft.  The reason recommendations like this come out is conservation.  We over-consume energy for air conditioning in this country because we are super pampered and short-sighted and it's unsustainable.  And we're going to be in a lot of trouble when the hot places of the world like India and Indonesia and Africa start getting AC and consume it like we do.  The recommendations of this agency were reasonable and require minimal adjustment.

Being acclimated to something because you're used it, by virtue of being from an area of the world extremely hot and humid areas of the world, isn't a valid argument.  There are people that live in cold areas that would enjoy a laugh at how we dress in balmy 40 degree weather.  Swap either of those people to the opposite climate and see how tough they seem then. 

It's also pointless to compare what people with air conditioning choose to what those without air conditioning endure.  That's like saying we're weak for eating only select cuts of beef, while people in other places resign themselves whatever they can catch.  It's only by having an option that we see what people actually prefer. 

7 hours ago, Chachie said:

While I generally agree with this, I sure would hate to see how we behave if the "grid" goes down.  🙂

Happens every September in Los Angeles when the grid gets overloaded. The neighbors go outside and complain to each other in Spanish until the lights come back on. If it's early enough in the day, someone breaks out the grill.

If it went on longer than a few hours? Everyone would die.

13 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I got the AC set on 60 during the winter. I run hot as a mother****er

Sounds like me.  I am totally "that guy" who tends to sweat on a relatively cool day.

My wife really gets annoyed by it.  I'll be sitting in the car, she gets in and looks at me, shakes her head, and says "Really?" In a frustrated tone.  Like I am stubbornly sweating on purpose to win an argument about keeping the car running with the AC on.

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

Being acclimated to something because you're used it, by virtue of being from an area of the world extremely hot and humid areas of the world, isn't a valid argument.  There are people that live in cold areas that would enjoy a laugh at how we dress in balmy 40 degree weather.  Swap either of those people to the opposite climate and see how tough they seem then.

I, for one, have been known to traverse the snow-clad winter wonderland in a t-shirt and shorts.

Pro-tip: Don't explain your choice of attire to your professor by stating you play ice hockey; they may also play said sport and call out your explanation as the BS it is.

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So what do you set yours to during the peak of summer.  If it's less than 80 degrees, regardless of the month and outdoor temperature, then you are a hypocrite.

I'm not a hypocrite, I only run my AC for a couple days a year, if at all.  Most people would not find that tolerable, but I've lived in apartments without AC for most of my adult life and I work outside so I'm used to heat and cold.  When I use AC, I just set it to 80-82.  mcsluggo is right that the primary benefit of AC to comfort is dehumidifying, and I've got a dehumidifier that I run instead because it's vastly cheaper.  The payoff is that my power bills are 30 bucks a month.

9 hours ago, Destino said:

It's also pointless to compare what people with air conditioning choose to what those without air conditioning endure.  That's like saying we're weak for eating only select cuts of beef, while people in other places resign themselves whatever they can catch.  It's only by having an option that we see what people actually prefer. 

The recommendations are reasonable, not extremes.  82 degrees with 40% humidity is a gorgeous day to the majority of the world outside of the Arctic.  We're not soft because we refuse to rough it in developing world conditions, we're soft because we refuse to be reasonable to be sustainable.  And it pains me to admit it, but the old fogeys are right that we are selfish and soft because this extreme demand for constant 70 degree air temperatures and ideal humidity is something that developed in the last 40 years.  My silent generation grandfather never lived in a house with air conditioning beyond window units.  His life was enviable, not miserable.  Our level of consumption dwarfs the level of the fogeys when we need to be getting better about conservation, not worse.

Before my husband lost almost 100 pounds, he kept the house freezing cold & used to laugh at what he called my "snow bunny suit" of pajamas. 

Now we keep it around 70 at night. I get up first & turn it up to 75...it usually doesn't kick on till at least noon...and our house is in constant direct sunlight. Our electric bills were under $70/month this summer.🙂

39 minutes ago, tshile said:

The best part about this, and @stevemcqueen1's ridiculous and dumb rant, is that health officials are coming out and saying sleeping in 80 degree or higher temperatures is actually terrible for your health. it ruins your ability to sleep correctly and get the rest you need.

Touched a nerve eh?

Who are making these health claims and what are they basing their claims on?  The world didn't begin in 1980 with everyone living in air conditioned homes.  So what did everyone do to sleep correctly before then?  How do a billion Indians sleep correctly every night from March to December?

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Touched a nerve eh?

Who are making these health claims and what are they basing their claims on?  The world didn't begin in 1980 with everyone living in air conditioned homes.  So what did everyone do to sleep correctly before then?  How do a billion Indians sleep correctly every night from March to December?

Didn't touch a nerve. Your ranting was just dumb.

They were guests on NPR. Their credentials sounded great, but I do not recall who they were.

I'm glad you felt the need to point out the world didn't begin in 1980. Not sure what we'd do without you.

Your argument is that everyone did sleep correctly? interesting.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, twa said:

It is 86 and 70% humidity right now , my wife says **** you. :ols:

That Houston weather sounds like what Hampton Roads had last week.  Thursday it was 82 at eight in the morning and the humidity stayed between 80 and 88% the whole day.  We had tropical conditions for about a week and then suddenly over the weekend they disappeared because we started getting a strong New England wind.  It feels like fall now.  This is where living on the Atlantic coast beats living on the Gulf.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Didn't touch a nerve. Your ranting was just dumb.

They were guests on NPR. Their credentials sounded great, but I do not recall who they were.

I'm glad you felt the need to point out the world didn't begin in 1980. Not sure what we'd do without you.

Your argument is that everyone did sleep correctly? interesting.

Sorry that it triggered you.  What are you claiming right now, that there was some sort of massive improvement in public health in the last 40 years measurable in our population due to the spread of air conditioning?

If it were true that sleeping in cold temperatures is better for you and excessive air conditioning is beneficial to your sleep and health, then we could presume an increase in the average sleep total of the American population over the last 40 years, as well as a decline in sleep related health issues today, and a decline in the usage of sleep aids right?

On 8/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, NoCalMike said:

Out here the summers are dreadful. We will have weeks where it's in the triple digits for a week straight or longer.  I am very much a proponent of shutting the AC off at night and opening the windows, but some of these nights during summer it doesn't even cool off enough at night to really chill the house down.

Every home should have a whole house fan.  Those things will save you a lot of money.  As soon as the air outside cools off, turn that sucker on for about an hour and the temperature in your home will drop quick. 

That works in a dry environment. On the east coast, when its 75 with 65% humidity at night the real feel is still 80+. Whole hose fans won't work.  Friends NE of Sac have a whole house fan. AC on during the day at 78, whole house fan for 2 hours at like 10pm and the house drops to 68. But it's also a dry environment.

Archived