Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: A federal program says you should keep your home above 78 degrees

Destino

(CNN)A federal program recommends people keep their homes between 78 and 85 degrees, and the internet is freaking out.

The guidelines come from Energy Star, a government-backed program to promote energy efficiency, and they've sparked a fiery debate on social media.

The program suggests different settings to automate at various times: 78 degrees when you wake up, 85 degrees during the day and 82 degrees when you're sleeping.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/20/health/thermostat-recommendations-energy-star-trnd/index.html

I question the very humanity of anyone intentionally making the house 82 degrees for sleeping.  

With regard to air conditioning the younger generation is soft.  My daughter (13) has on occasion put the A/C down to 70 upstairs.  When I come upstairs to go to bed it's freezing. and I have to turn it up.  This is the same girl who is supposedly concerned about the environment.  I have had to explain to her the energy costs and effects on the environment of turning the A/C that low.  On the other hand, my wife's mother and other people of her generation that grew up without A/C still keep it set at 78 or above and often turn it off altogether.  It was 78 in my house growing up.  Frankly, if you don't have it on all the time your body adjusts.  The most important factor is probably the humidity moreso than the temp.  That being said I still turn it down to 75 or 76 in this area, especially with the humidity.  

We were never allowed to touch the thermostat growing up. 

78-80 during the day in summer. Moms line was it will be cold tomorrow. Or cold at night open your windows. 

I traditionally do 77-78 at night. Recently we turned it down with a baby 75-76. During the summer. When not at home on eco mode to 84. 

I saw this on twitter and everyone it seemed was under 70. Their utility bills must be through the roof. 

You adjust to your temp. 

Out here the summers are dreadful. We will have weeks where it's in the triple digits for a week straight or longer.  I am very much a proponent of shutting the AC off at night and opening the windows, but some of these nights during summer it doesn't even cool off enough at night to really chill the house down.

Every home should have a whole house fan.  Those things will save you a lot of money.  As soon as the air outside cools off, turn that sucker on for about an hour and the temperature in your home will drop quick. 

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Unintended consequences.... the spousal murder rate would skyrocket.

No doubt in my house.

I say 78 ain't too bad, she says 68 is much better.....wanna make it 65?

i go about 78 in the summer, and about 68 in the winter (around 62 during sleep in the winter).

Really the humidity is  what you REALLY need the AC for!  inthe summer.. if it isn't hot enough for the AC to kick on, i edge it down sometimes, to make sure it is draining the swamp.

Archived