Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli - career win %

Nerm

It looks like Eli is expected to be the starter for the Giants to begin the season.  I reviewed his career stats, and I noticed that he is only 2 games above .500 as a starter in his regular season games.  So, I thought I would ask everyone....

Do you think Eli will end his career with a winning record, at .500, or with a loosing record?

and... Do you think it matters when it comes time for HOF votes?

I don't know if there are any QBs with loosing records in the HOF.  I think Warren Moon was 1 game over .500, and Dan Fouts was 2 games over, but they did not have SB wins.

He might be benched after the first game.... so I’m gonna say winning record... even if they are 6-7 and or something like that I bet they put they new toy in and see what happens. I don’t think he has a long enough rope to drop three games in a row.

there are too many better quarterbacks in his era for him to make into the hof 

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Eli was never even a top 10 QB. How could he possibly be a hofer? 2 games where his defense stopped Tom Brady and he put up 17 and 19 points?

If that gets him in then Jim Plunkett has been robbed for 3 decades.

Joe Thiesmann too.

Thiesmann went to two Super Bowls, won one of them, and was MVP of the league in 1983.

If Eli Manning is a HoFer, then a lot of other QBs need to get in.

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm a ring guy, it's a great way to measure QBs when comparing. But there is more to being a HOFer than rings. I can't believe there are so many who believe he is a lock.  That's just insane.  

His last name is Manning.

So that won't hurt him.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:22 AM, SkinsGuy said:

His last name is Manning.

So that won't hurt him.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no way Eli should get into the HOF but he's a Manning, played in New York, and won two Super Bowls, including knocking off an undefeated team in the Super Bowl. That might get him in.

If his name was something other than Manning, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. It’s still a travesty to me that Eli has the same number of SB rings a Peyton. No one in their right mind would put those 2 in the same class of NFL QB, but I feel like stupidity will win out and he will get in. 

As as far as his career percentage, I don’t think it will matter. Reporters won’t want to upset the Mannings.

I think winning % for a QB is similar to arguing a pitcher shouldn't be a Cy Young winner with a losing record. I don't think you can necessarily say a QB is not effective if he's playing on bad teams. Eli's number that WILL hget him into the HOF:

All Time Passing Yards

1 Drew Brees 74,437 2001-2018 2TM
2 Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015 2TM
3 Brett Favre+ 71,838 1991-2010 4TM
4 Tom Brady 70,514 2000-2018 nwe
5 Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999 mia
6 Ben Roethlisberger 56,194 2004-2018 pit
7 Eli Manning 55,981 2004-2018 nyg

All Time Passing TDs

Rank Player TD Years Tm
1 Peyton Manning 539 1998-2015 2TM
2 Drew Brees 520 2001-2018 2TM
3 Tom Brady 517 2000-2018 nwe
4 Brett Favre+ 508 1991-2010 4TM
5 Dan Marino+ 420 1983-1999 mia
6 Philip Rivers 374 2004-2018 sdg
7 Ben Roethlisberger 363 2004-2018 pit
8 Eli Manning 360 2004-2018 nyg

4th Quarter Comeback Wins

Rank Player 4QC Years Tm Link
1 Peyton Manning 43 1998-2015 2TM View Comebacks
2 Tom Brady 35 2000-2018 nwe View Comebacks
3 Drew Brees 34 2001-2018 2TM View Comebacks
  Johnny Unitas+ 34 1956-1973 2TM View Comebacks
5 Dan Marino+ 33 1983-1999 mia View Comebacks
6 John Elway+ 31 1983-1998 den View Comebacks
  Ben Roethlisberger 31 2004-2018 pit View Comebacks
8 Fran Tarkenton+ 29 1961-1978 2TM View Comebacks
  Vinny Testaverde 29 1987-2007 7TM View Comebacks
10 Brett Favre+ 28 1991-2010 4TM View Comebacks
11 Eli Manning 27 2004-2018 nyg

View Comeback

TWO Superbowl MVPs and wins!

Second Longest starting streak of all time. Never missing games, ever.....

On 8/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, Nerm said:

It looks like Eli is expected to be the starter for the Giants to begin the season.  I reviewed his career stats, and I noticed that he is only 2 games above .500 as a starter in his regular season games.  So, I thought I would ask everyone....

Do you think Eli will end his career with a winning record, at .500, or with a loosing record?

and... Do you think it matters when it comes time for HOF votes?

I don't know if there are any QBs with loosing records in the HOF.  I think Warren Moon was 1 game over .500, and Dan Fouts was 2 games over, but they did not have SB wins.

Joe Namath was 64-64-4 as a starter.  Threw more INTs then TDs, had a career completion% of 50% and a career QB rating of 65.5.  He's in the HOF because he guaranteed a SB win in what was considered the biggest upset in football history at the time, and he was the ultimate showman off the field which made him the toast of NY.

Namath's always been the outlier, but the Giants upset of the undefeated Pats is up there with the Jets unset of the Colts.  Oh yeah and Eli's family is the NFL's version of the Kennedy's.    

Giants are kind of my second team since my entire family was Giants fans. If you are going to talk winning % you have to factor in that there were dozens of games  where Eli had the Giants in a position to win with a late comeback drive that the defense subsequently squandered away allowing the opponent to score late.  IMHO winning % should not matter.  The consecutive games streak, plus 2 SB MVPs carries more weight. Also Eli had an outstanding 2008-09 season that was derailed when Plax shot himself.

3 hours ago, Blue Ridger said:

Giants are kind of my second team since my entire family was Giants fans. If you are going to talk winning % you have to factor in that there were dozens of games  where Eli had the Giants in a position to win with a late comeback drive that the defense subsequently squandered away allowing the opponent to score late.  IMHO winning % should not matter.  The consecutive games streak, plus 2 SB MVPs carries more weight. Also Eli had an outstanding 2008-09 season that was derailed when Plax shot himself.

You make some good points. That said, there are two other important points to consider:

1. Eli Manning

2. Giants

It is with a heavy heart that I must diagnose Eli with a terminal case of Suck.

I expect Eli to end up in the HOF.  Two Super Bowl MVPs, and top 10 counting stats should be enough for most voters to give him a vote.  I would certainly never describe him as elite, but I think he has done enough to get himself voted in.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:25 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He might be benched after the first game.... so I’m gonna say winning record... even if they are 6-7 and or something like that I bet they put they new toy in and see what happens. I don’t think he has a long enough rope to drop three games in a row.

there are too many better quarterbacks in his era for him to make into the hof 

Two Superbowl wins, both against a team that has punked the rest of the NFL for two decades. 

He'll get in.

Edit: Also the Lynn Swann "signature play" argument:

Everyone who was watching at the time remembers that scramble and throw to Tyree for the first down.

Edit2:  And New York

Eli had multiple seasons where he was a top 10 qb. 

He was never an elite qb though. Imo, the hall of fame is for elite players, that were elite for a while.

His stats look good due to the generation he was drafted in. 

He played well in the superbowl runs but was carried by the defense both times. He only won mvp because he was the qb of the winning team and that who they give it to. 

It is a little bit of a shame that better players will miss out on the hall of fame for a player like Eli but it will definitely happen. 

2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think it is very likely that he will benched before he has a losing record.

He is now one game above .500, though they play the Bills next.  Also, when Daniel Jones played the Giants final drive last week, he lost a fumble to Dallas.  So, that may extend Eli's grasp as the medium term starter.

Archived