Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD: BENGALS@REDSKINS

SkinsGuy

Maybe I missed it but has anyone heard an explanation yet from the league on the OPI call?  Since it was held up after challenge/review there must some sort of explanation coming right?

Wanting to hear how a receiver making a play on a ball where the defender doesn't turn around is OPI

I just cant believe how bad of a call that was.  

1.) Harmon is a rookie trying to make a play.  To make that call is just a travesty.  They actually made the worst call i have ever seen TWICE. (review)

2.) How can a QB fumble a ball forward for 12 yards?  Clearly that was a incomplete pass.  These 2 play constitute the absolute worst calls I HAVE EVER SEEN.  

3.) The OPI on Simms on the TD pass to the other Simms was more trash.  I have watched other teams do this crap to us and others for YEARS without it being called.  AS soon as we run it we get called though.  Its very strange, the refs want us to know that this type of offensive efficiency is unacceptable.  

4.) Its preseason and I dont care about wins or losses but In not sure why the refs just pissed me off to no end.  

5.) DH made some strides.  You can look at the way he played tonight and see that he is processing things better.  That is the ONLY thing that makes me smile. 

6. ) That D could be legit this year. 

One of the reasons so many officials have been retiring, including some damn good ones, is that they didn't want to continue working under Riveron. He's terrible, and the officiating - especially the reviews from New York - has been dreadful under his watch. Can't wait to hear how he tries to explain away the OPI call from last night; or maybe the league will say "oops".

12 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

It's been almost 30 years of bad bud. I have a hard time believing anything is going to turn good with this team. I hope something will change every year, but it never does. 

The two positives from the Skins I can remember. One got murdered and the other blew out his knee in a playoff game. 

Oh I'm aware. They've been bad my whole life but eventually things do change. The bucs, saints, and patriots were the worst teams when I was growing up. The bucs had a good run and the saints and patriots are powerhouses. 

Heck even the Browns are looking up. 

What I'm saying is that eventually things turn around and we are positioned better now than we have been for a couple decades. 

Haskins took steps forward in his development, no doubt he is starting to feel more comfortable. The pass was a thing of beauty. Only one guy on the team can make that throw w/ someone hanging on him. 

He still needs to get his feet in better position on some throws, work on his internal clock and vision to see when his OL is getting beat and get it out.

Overall though he’s coming along. And may be another solid performance from starting week one.  I’d be fine with however they decide to play it. 

Wow Special Teams seems like a disaster. This new coach is unimpressive to say the least. We will need this unit to be good if we have any hope of winning with defense.

Guys who stood out:

-Marcus Smith flashed and should be the 4th or 5th OLB.

-Harmon was underthrown on 3 different balls, may be one of these guys that plays much faster than his timed speed, he should be on the roster

-Robert Davis has earned a Roster spot, no doubt.

-Guys who have not shown much till now: Apke, Perine, Marshall, Penn...

-JHC looked better than Bostic, maybe the ILB’s should be JHC and Holcomb

-Our first team D looks ready. 

-2nd team did not fair so well.

2 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

What I'm saying is that eventually things turn around and we are positioned better now than we have been for a couple decades. 

Not that I disagree with anything you are saying... Ive been just telling myself this same thing for many years.  Ive been a fan since the late 80s.  My son who I raised as Skins fan is now 24.  He is diehard but I actually feel like I should apologize to him every year.  He helps keep me interested while I keep fighting against the indifference that creeps in.  We have tickets to the Giants game this year and will keep on keeping on as long as I can.

20 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Oh I'm aware. They've been bad my whole life but eventually things do change. The bucs, saints, and patriots were the worst teams when I was growing up. The bucs had a good run and the saints and patriots are powerhouses. 

Heck even the Browns are looking up. 

The only way we're positioned better is if Haskins is a franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The Falcons special teams stinks?

For someone with the special teams coach forever in his crosshairs, you gotta update that file my man.

Forgot he left.

So

INSERT NAME HERE best get your **** straight quick!

It may seem like it's eternally  in my crosshairs, but no more than anything else.. it's just it is base level football. When it's as bad as it's been, i can't find too many acceptable excuses, so i harp on it.

~Bang

It really hurts to see the terrible special teams performances year after year for a guy like me who grew up in an era when the Redskins were SYNONYMOUS with incredible special teams year in and year out. I remember taking a lot of pride in that as a fan. Last two weeks make it look like this season could be the worst that unit has ever been. Which is saying quite a lot. 

9 minutes ago, Bang said:

Forgot he left.

So

INSERT NAME HERE best get your **** straight quick!

It may seem like it's eternally  in my crosshairs, but no more than anything else.. it's just it is base level football. When it's as bad as it's been, i can't find too many acceptable excuses, so i harp on it.

~Bang

I get it.  Don't take my post to be a defense of the Redskins special teams.  It's typically indefensible. 

14 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

It really hurts to see the terrible special teams performances year after year for a guy like me who grew up in an era when the Redskins were SYNONYMOUS with incredible special teams year in and year out. I remember taking a lot of pride in that as a fan. Last two weeks make it look like this season could be the worst that unit has ever been. Which is saying quite a lot. 

Man, we could be LeCharls McDaniel bad. Be thankful that it hasn't sunken that low......yet. 

30 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

The only way we're positioned better is if Haskins is a franchise QB. 

Maybe for sustained success. The bucs did it without a qb. 

Young qbs generally have a better shot at success if they get supported by other strong parts of the team. Having a defense that can carry a game when your rookie has 3 turnovers allows him to improve. See the Texans. 

My point is we are getting close to being there and the foundation on defense should be strong for a while. 

This is unlike past teams in that regard, which is why I think we are setup for success better than before. 

6 hours ago, Bang said:

Aside from everything else to be discussed.. 
BEN KOTWICA.
your special teams are HORRIBLE.

return coverage is awful. Snaps, missed kicks..  awful.

gotta pick it up. NOW.  It doesn't matter whether it's preseason. 
Bad special teams is bad special teams. PERIOD.

~Bang

I told y’all Kazcor is going to have Bang begging for Danny Smith back. That’s a special kind of bad. (No pun intended)

2 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Maybe I missed it but has anyone heard an explanation yet from the league on the OPI call?  Since it was held up after challenge/review there must some sort of explanation coming right?

Wanting to hear how a receiver making a play on a ball where the defender doesn't turn around is OPI

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

One of the reasons so many officials have been retiring, including some damn good ones, is that they didn't want to continue working under Riveron. He's terrible, and the officiating - especially the reviews from New York - has been dreadful under his watch. Can't wait to hear how he tries to explain away the OPI call from last night; or maybe the league will say "oops".

Here is an article from PFT about it (courtesy of Wildbunny's Breaking News Forum):

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/16/al-riveron-declines-to-explain-decision-to-uphold-controversial-opi-call/

NFL explains controversial pass interference review call that ruled against Redskins in Preseason Week 2

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-explains-controversial-pass-interference-review-call-that-ruled-against-redskins-in-preseason-week-2/

The NFL gave an explanation on the play Friday afternoon, one that probably adds more confusion than clarity. 

In #CINvsWAS, the on-field officials called OPI for a push off by WAS 13 at the 50-yard line, well before he jumped to catch the ball. There was no clear & obvious visual evidence from the available broadcast video that the ruling was incorrect, so the on-field ruling stands. pic.twitter.com/EhdAqFOc9Q

— NFL Officiating (@NFLOfficiating) August 16, 2019

Coaches video, not available on the game broadcast, showed that CIN 35 was off balance after contact by WAS 13, which is why offensive pass interference was called on the field.

Harmon was involved in a second offensive pass interference call, but wasn't initially flagged for the call. Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor challenged and the league ruled Harmon did commit offensive pass interference. 

"Everybody was just devastated. No body could believe it," Harmon said to JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington after the game. "I was just like 'Wow that's a PI?' It was just unfortunate. 

"I just got to be mindful of that as an aggressive receiver always going up for the ball. That's just the new PI rule, so I gotta be mindful of that. It could go in our favor next time." 

16 minutes ago, TK said:

NFL explains controversial pass interference review call that ruled against Redskins in Preseason Week 2

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-explains-controversial-pass-interference-review-call-that-ruled-against-redskins-in-preseason-week-2/

The NFL gave an explanation on the play Friday afternoon, one that probably adds more confusion than clarity. 

In #CINvsWAS, the on-field officials called OPI for a push off by WAS 13 at the 50-yard line, well before he jumped to catch the ball. There was no clear & obvious visual evidence from the available broadcast video that the ruling was incorrect, so the on-field ruling stands. pic.twitter.com/EhdAqFOc9Q

Coaches video, not available on the game broadcast, showed that CIN 35 was off balance after contact by WAS 13, which is why offensive pass interference was called on the field.

Harmon was involved in a second offensive pass interference call, but wasn't initially flagged for the call. Cincinnati Bengals head coach Zac Taylor challenged and the league ruled Harmon did commit offensive pass interference. 

"Everybody was just devastated. No body could believe it," Harmon said to JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington after the game. "I was just like 'Wow that's a PI?' It was just unfortunate. 

"I just got to be mindful of that as an aggressive receiver always going up for the ball. That's just the new PI rule, so I gotta be mindful of that. It could go in our favor next time." 

Bull. They know it. We know it. Kids who just finished their first game of touch football know it.

2 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

48 minutes ago, Hogs 1991 said:

I told y’all Kazcor is going to have Bang begging for Danny Smith back. That’s a special kind of bad. (No pun intended)

you would sooner see me begging to have my legs chopped off and mixed into his gameday bubble gum

no way no how. Chomper can stay away.

~Bang

7 hours ago, Bang said:

Aside from everything else to be discussed.. 
BEN KOTWICA.
your special teams are HORRIBLE.

return coverage is awful. Snaps, missed kicks..  awful.

gotta pick it up. NOW.  It doesn't matter whether it's preseason. 
Bad special teams is bad special teams. PERIOD.

~Bang

I remember once upon a time you were gung ho on running Danny Smith up out of here.  I’d say the man is doing quite well for himself now coaching the Steelers teams.

Ben Kotwica isn’t even the special teams coordinator now.  He left for greener pastures.  The guy in charge now is Nate Kaczor!

Alright fellas, looks like they don't want to hang a trainee out to dry. The laundry on that OPI was tossed by Frankie Steratore. He was replacing Tom Hill on that crew last night, and is part of the league's development program for college refs. The guy made a mistake, and as I'm told, acknowledged as much to Biceps, Jr. after the game. Let's just be glad it's preseason and this wasn't a regular season or playoff situation.

Archived