Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Subscription services that are worth it

Spaceman Spiff

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The issue moving forward is if/when companies start providing content only on their streaming channel counterpart or vice versa.

Current example is CBS.  They reboot twilight zone, but only make it available on CBS all access. (I think they did that with the new Star Trek too, or was that a different network?).

Same with ESPN.  They sign a huge deal with UFC but 90% of the fight cards you have to subscribe to their streaming channel ESPN + to get them.

10 years ago, if you had a cable/satellite subscription and ESPN was in your paid subscription, it would include access to their streaming version at no extra charge.

The golden age of paying less for streaming content is rapidly coming to a close, and sooner than later you are either going to be subscribing to 20+ different streaming services, costing you close to what you were paying for cable/satellite in the first place, or you are going to be constantly playing streaming channel roulette at the end of every month trying to figure out which ones you can cancel and/or re-subscribe to based on which specific shows are premiering that upcoming month.

Now the double-whammy in all of this is that this doesn't take into account the cost of the internet itself, because as mainstream consumers start converting more and more to a majority of content through their internet, you better believe these ISPs are going to get more creative (devious) in how they price structure and set data caps and all that kind of stuff in order to maximize profits.  

I am a bit lucky at the moment because I am grandfathered into a plan with U-verse, bundled with DTV that includes unlimited amounts of data. The plan is no longer even offered, and as soon as I decide to upgrade or modify my plan, I know they are going to tell me that it will take the unlimited data part of it out of the equation.  I have been on the cusp of just cancelling DTV all together and just bite the bullet on the willingness to pay more for the best internet connection possible, but I am holding off until I see where the landscape of all this goes in the next handful of years.

I think you’re right.

I also think that this will lead to people getting back into pirating their content again.  It’s probably even easier these days to pirate stuff with Kodi and the like out there.

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

They publish really good articles, but it's not worth it at this point. Most of the higher ups at NYT are chuds, take the recent case of Jonathan Weisman who was just demoted: https://jezebel.com/new-york-times-demotes-bad-tweet-machine-jonathan-weism-1837225569

Their op-ed section is also just awful. It's just bad, expanded twitter hot takes from the least critically thinking people they can find.

Ya, Steve is checking out their 1619 project as we speak, stuff like that keeps me on the fence.  Actually saw about this guy you mention in WaPo article this morning.  I cant tell if NYT goes after WaPo, but this is not the first time I've seen WaPo put NYT on blast, always found that interesting considering how many consider WaPo impartial or Trump keeps lumping the two together.

I'm actually thinking about getting Deer Park water delivered.  Sorry to take it away from Netflix/Prime/Hulu answers which seem to be the obvious ones.

The public water where I live tastes like ass, and I work from home.  I've got a Brita pitcher which takes some of the stuff out of it but not all (lead) as I found out later on.  Sooo...

7.99 for one of those 5 gallon tanks delivered weekly with a 2.99 rental fee for the dispenser.  10-11 bucks a week for water.  Then I can have the water cooler AT the home office and talk to absolutely no one.  Which is awesome.

Anyone get water delivered?  If so, worth it?

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I thought about getting Shudder a long time ago, but held off.  Glad to hear it's worth it, I might just add it right now.

@NoCalMike  Question, does the subscription to Shudder include ShudderTV?  Or is that a higher tier sub or more money?

Shudder TV is included.  So Shudder TV is basically 3 live streaming channels where they play movies on a rotation. There are three right now with specific categories. Slasher, Psychological, and......I forgot the other one.  I know for August they added the first 6 Nightmare on Elm Street flicks, and they were playing them in order on a loop on one of the shudder tv channels.   Shudder TV is also what they will throw their live specials on, like the Joe Bob Briggs marathon. 

I got the usual Netflix, Amazon, yadda yadda. 

I'm intrigued by the Hulu/Disney/ESPN combo. I'll wait that one out and see if it's worth it and maybe do a semi-cord cutting from the ridiculous FIOS package. 

I was expecting someone to step up with their Mofos or Brazzers account by now!  :ols: 

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think you’re right.

I also think that this will lead to people getting back into pirating their content again.  It’s probably even easier these days to pirate stuff with Kodi and the like out there.

I have a firestick, and let me tell you, Kodi is not even needed anymore.  Now you can literally just add streaming apps to your library and use them.  Morpheus & Cinema HD & Modpro are heaven. :)

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm actually thinking about getting Deer Park water delivered.  Sorry to take it away from Netflix/Prime/Hulu answers which seem to be the obvious ones.

The public water where I live tastes like ass, and I work from home.  I've got a Brita pitcher which takes some of the stuff out of it but not all (lead) as I found out later on.  Sooo...

Anyone get water delivered?  If so, worth it?

I have a Pur water filter on my faucet and fill Deer Park bottles. I use it for all cooking, coffee, cats, etc. 

29 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

What's audible?  streaming music?  and the cost?

Audio books.  It is an Amazon company where, for about $15 per month you get to stream or download books being read to you.  

https://www.audible.com/

I've had it for about 5 years and just crush books.  1000x better than listening to ****ing Chad Dukes on my commute.  

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Shudder TV is included.  So Shudder TV is basically 3 live streaming channels where they play movies on a rotation. There are three right now with specific categories. Slasher, Psychological, and......I forgot the other one.  I know for August they added the first 6 Nightmare on Elm Street flicks, and they were playing them in order on a loop on one of the shudder tv channels.   Shudder TV is also what they will throw their live specials on, like the Joe Bob Briggs marathon. 

Cool, so I can pick and choose what I want to watch with the subscription and the live TV is included with the programming on a loop?  

Image result for put me in coach animated gif

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Cool, so I can pick and choose what I want to watch with the subscription and the live TV is included with the programming on a loop?  

Image result for put me in coach animated gif

Correct.  The live streaming channel(s) for me, are mostly something I will throw on for specials or marathons or if I know they have some type of event going on (like, the Joe Bob Briggs Drive in), but I will always check what is playing on them when I first open the app, out of curiosity.  

Also, all the previous Joe Bob Briggs "The Last Drive-In" specials have been archived on the app so you can check them out in prep for season 2.  Not sure if you are familiar with his old Monstervision show on TNT or even the previous similar show he had on The Movie Channel before that, but it is very similar. 

30 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Correct.  The live streaming channel(s) for me, are mostly something I will throw on for specials or marathons or if I know they have some type of event going on (like, the Joe Bob Briggs Drive in), but I will always check what is playing on them when I first open the app, out of curiosity.  

Also, all the previous Joe Bob Briggs "The Last Drive-In" specials have been archived on the app so you can check them out in prep for season 2.  Not sure if you are familiar with his old Monstervision show on TNT or even the previous similar show he had on The Movie Channel before that, but it is very similar. 

Cool, just signed up.  Looking through the library and it's packed.  

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Cool, just signed up.  Looking through the library and it's packed.  

Yep. I actually held off on Shudder way longer than I wish I would have.  I was just skeptical of it for so long because other similar horror-based services had come and gone or were just sort of lingering around without much growth.  Shudder survived "the war" of those and is clearly the current best option.   Hope you enjoy and find some good stuff on there.  I recommend Horror Noire documentary.  I also read they just added "Why Horror?" Doc.  

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Apple Music

Gym

Wapo

Tivo Service 

I cut my gym membership. Trying to do it using bodyweight fitness now and enjoying it. 

Amazon Prime

Hulu (I cut HBO and Netflix, I switch on/off as needed), plus I can ramp up Hulu for college football

NYT: I switch between that and WaPo whichever is giving me a better price

I'm pretty sure that's about all the subscriptions I have. I used to have audible but it was getting expensive. 

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Also tried a few different cooking subscriptions a while back: blue apron and hello fresh. 

Both sucked.

I tried Blue Apron, agree that it sucked.  I can actually cook pretty well.  Blue Apron is for people that can't but want to pretend they can. 

A good one that I've used in the past is Territory Foods.  This is not: we send you a box of groceries and direction on how to cook it.  Territory sends you prepared, healthy, delicious meals, delivered to your door once or twice a week.  The only downside is the price, it's like $15 per meal.  We loved this when we had an infant and had very little time or energy to shop or eat.  

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

For people looking to cook, just use youtube.  The tutorials on there beat any cookbook or subscription service where the food you are buying is on incredibly inflated costs. 

youtube teaches me everything: from car repair to home repair. Why not cooking? I've never used it for cooking. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I have a firestick, and let me tell you, Kodi is not even needed anymore.  Now you can literally just add streaming apps to your library and use them.  Morpheus & Cinema HD & Modpro are heaven. :)

Could you recommend a good VPN app?

Do any of those carry live sports?

10 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Could you recommend a good VPN app?

Do any of those carry live sports?

ModPro is a sports app.  UFC, Bellator, etc etc...it is all on there.  I had NFL ticket last year, but out of curiosity I browsed around the sports channels on ModPro app and yeah, all the NFL games. 

31 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I cut my gym membership. Trying to do it using bodyweight fitness now and enjoying it. 

Amazon Prime

Hulu (I cut HBO and Netflix, I switch on/off as needed), plus I can ramp up Hulu for college football

NYT: I switch between that and WaPo whichever is giving me a better price

I'm pretty sure that's about all the subscriptions I have. I used to have audible but it was getting expensive. 

That $10 a month Planet Fatness membership is not bad for me.

Archived