Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Nerm said:

That is my initial reaction too.  My jaw dropped when I saw what was happening.  Imagine if that swing of the helmet connected more directly.  I feel a bit like after watching Mike Tyson bite off Holyfield's ear.  I'm still trying to process how things went so far off the rails.

I remember watching that.  I was hoping Tyson would win, though I knew he wouldn't.  What I got instead was certainly unexpected. 

To date the most spectacular bit of sporting event violence I have seen has to be Malice at the Palace.  I still watch the videos of it from time.  Sadly, it's not in HD.   

41 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Watching it more closely, Rudolph picked the fight by trying pull Garrett's helmet off from the back (1:20 mark). Garrett's got to be suspended, for the year or however long, I don't know. But Rudolph did something stupid. When picking a fight with a DLineman 40 pounds heavier than you, you should avoid picking a fight with a DLineman 40 pounds heavier than you. Stupid people, all of them.

I agree with you that they are all stupid. But if Garrett only pulls his helmet off, then we are talking about how Rudolph thought he could rip off a helmet and Garrett showed him how it was done. It's probably a fine for both and the next game between the two gets a little more exciting. As soon as he swings and hits him in the head with the helmet, he took it to a completely different and unexcusable level. 

30 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This might be my emotions speaking since this is a raw moment, but I wouldn't be upset if Garrett had charges pressed against him and got a lifetime ban. Absolutely no excuse for swinging a damn HELMET at someone's head like that, major life altering effects could've resulted from that.

One of the dirtiest things I've ever seen during a sporting event. 

I'm not saying it should factor into the suspension, but I kind of feel for Rudolph a little extra for the helmet-to-skull hit, considering only a few weeks ago, he suffered one of the worst-looking concussions I've ever seen. Just strange irony there.

I kind've think they are paid to be emotionally violent and this is part of it.  Stupid to be surprised that this could happen... and act like it is the worst thing in the world. 

4 games... seems reasonable...

So dumb if he is charged with crime... 11 men assaulting 11 men on every play.  

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

So dumb if he is charged with crime... 11 men assaulting 11 men on every play.  

But usually they have protection over their heads.

Helmet to head, is what makes this like no other incident.

52 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Watching it more closely, Rudolph picked the fight by trying pull Garrett's helmet off from the back (1:20 mark). Garrett's got to be suspended, for the year or however long, I don't know. But Rudolph did something stupid. When picking a fight with a DLineman 40 pounds heavier than you, you should avoid picking a fight with a DLineman 40 pounds heavier than you. Stupid people, all of them.

Rudolph isn't blameless of course, but what he did, could arguably be considered just an in-game penalty, and not deserving a suspension and/or fine.

If you try to imagine Rudolph's action all by itself in a game, with no response by the other player, I don't think people would be calling for him to be suspended or fined.

But because the other player chose to escalate it even more, it seems like a knee-jerk reaction by people to say that Rudolph deserves extra discipline.

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

well, like Garret said, a wins a win, he might as well cherish it since it’s the last win he’ll get to be a part of this season,

I wonder if one of his coaches told him something like that phrase "It's ok to win ugly"  and he took it too literally.

Another ironic thing about this, is it's the kind of thing that I would expect from a losing team that's been frustrated by an embarrassing loss.

I didn't watch the game, so I was surprised to find out that frustration was carried out by a player on the winning team.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I remember watching that.  I was hoping Tyson would win, though I knew he wouldn't.  What I got instead was certainly unexpected. 

To date the most spectacular bit of sporting event violence I have seen has to be Malice at the Palace.  I still watch the videos of it from time.  Sadly, it's not in HD.   

For me it’s some of the classic brawls of the 80s in hockey and even the 90s. The Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore, Marty Mcsorley smacking Brashear in his head with a stick, Claude Lemieux basically murdering Kris Draper etc

Garrett's a dirty player.  One of the dirtiest in the league.  He was racking up a Vontaze Burfict-like track record of penalties for cheap shots and dirty play.  This goes way beyond that.  This was a malicious intent to injure another player in a brawl and there is no place for that in the NFL.  The league needs to make an example of him.  And that dude clearly has issues.  He can't handle the game and play it in an acceptable way.

7 hours ago, NickyJ said:

You watched that and concluded Rudolph is the one who started the fight?  You didn't think it was the dirty takedown after Rudolph made the throw?

The “sack” was borderline late, at best.

Rudolph was definitely pulling Garrett’s helmet off while both were on the ground.

Garrett pulled back, got rushed by two other guys and snapped.

Not nearly as much intent or injury as the Haynesworth incident and that was 5 games.

I think 4 games or so will be the likely outcome.  Pouncey may get a game or two as well.

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Rudolph was definitely pulling Garrett’s helmet off while both were on the ground.

Not nearly as much intent or injury as the Haynesworth incident and that was 5 games.

I think 4 games or so will be the likely outcome.  Pouncey may get a game or two as well.

Rudolph threw the ball right by Garrett's face.  There is no way he missed the throw.  He hit Rudolph late, then he wrestled him to the ground.  It wasn't borderline at all, and it was intentional.  It's stuff he's been doing and getting flagged for all season.  And it absolutely would have been flagged as a roughing penalty if all Hell hadn't broken loose in the aftermath.  And it's absolutely what started the fight.  You think any quarterback would react like Rudolph did on that one if it were a normal hit?

Garrett's going to get a big suspension and fine.  And he's earned it.  He's demonstrated a clear pattern of not being able to handle the physicality and emotion of the game and it wouldn't shock me if the league gives him the Burfict treatment.

9 hours ago, Nerm said:

It is like if a baseball player was hit by a pitch, then charged the mound and started hitting a pitcher with the bat.  Goes beyond regular league punishment.

Juan Marichal, by the way.  Google his name plus John Roseboro (sp?) if you're unfamiliar with the story.

8 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

I agree with you that they are all stupid. But if Garrett only pulls his helmet off, then we are talking about how Rudolph thought he could rip off a helmet and Garrett showed him how it was done. It's probably a fine for both and the next game between the two gets a little more exciting. As soon as he swings and hits him in the head with the helmet, he took it to a completely different and unexcusable level. 

For Rudolph, it isn't only that he tried to pull off the helmet and failed. It's that when he got back up, he rushed up to Garrett and there's no way it was just to pat him on the back. At that point, Rudolph was mad and did a hot-headed thing. I get that, but the whole point of the NFL's rules is to stop players from continuing fights. A suspension probably isn't in Rudolph's future, but he should be fined at least. I'm not bothering to mention Garrett's suspension because it's as black and white as it gets.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rudolph isn't blameless of course, but what he did, could arguably be considered just an in-game penalty, and not deserving a suspension and/or fine.

If you try to imagine Rudolph's action all by itself in a game, with no response by the other player, I don't think people would be calling for him to be suspended or fined.

But because the other player chose to escalate it even more, it seems like a knee-jerk reaction by people to say that Rudolph deserves extra discipline.

I honestly don't know what it would be like without a response from the other players. I can't think of any a player has tried to pull off someone else's helmet and NOT started a fight. But knowing how the NFL penalizes players for taking off their own helmets on the field, I can't imagine anything other than extra discipline for trying to take off someone else's just so that you can fight him.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You watched that and concluded Rudolph is the one who started the fight?  You didn't think it was the dirty takedown after Rudolph made the throw?

Late hits happen all the time. The NFL has never said that getting hit late gives you a right to pull someone's helmet off. Garrett would have been penalized, fined and maybe even ejected for it if the tackle was focused on instead of the helmet. Even if you think that Rudolph didn't start the fight, you can't deny that the NFL penalizes everyone who fights after the play is over. It happens to WRs and DBs who shove at each other, and it should absolutely happen for someone trying to take off a helmet so they can presumably land a punch on an unprotected face.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not saying it should factor into the suspension, but I kind of feel for Rudolph a little extra for the helmet-to-skull hit, considering only a few weeks ago, he suffered one of the worst-looking concussions I've ever seen. Just strange irony there.

Its not irony its a direct correlation. I was thinking when my fiance told me about the fight that I bet this dude has a history of concussions or something. I dont have all the facts, but these guys' families and friends have been saying for a while now that they change after blows to the head. And the science shows that this happens as well. They have to be related. This anger and violence and the head trauma. 

Though some dudes are just jerks, and i bet football attracts more than a few of those guys. So its hard to blame it 100% on that. 

When he returns from suspension, how do you get through to this guy that he needs to change his style of play?  He always says the right things after the games but his apologies are worthless and he doesn't do what he says he's going to do.  Maybe the suspension will be a wake up call for him as this will probably end his season and that's a really bad footnote for what was supposed to be a break out season.  But if he doesn't change the way he plays, we've seen how getting the rep of a dirty player can contribute to turning stars into journeymen, like it did with Ndamukond Suh and Albert Haynesworth.

This guy was supposed to become a face of the league and the best player on a rising Browns team.  He could seriously undermine them with his dirty play.  Why the Hell aren't the Browns coaches reining him in?  That team is a circus, they need to get their house in order and find a coach who can be a sheriff or else they're just not going to be able to overtake the Ravens and Steelers.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I honestly don't know what it would be like without a response from the other players. I can't think of any a player has tried to pull off someone else's helmet and NOT started a fight.

I've seen it quite a few times. But it seems 90% of the time it happens, that refs and other plays are quickly in the middle of it, soon enough, to separate the players before it gets to the point of using helmets as weapons.

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Your 4 games projection is about as ridiculous as your apparent defense for Myles. And don’t try to justify it by saying “I’m not condoning Myles for what he did”... yes, yes you are. You are literally trying to explain why it makes sense that he smacked Mason. 

Archived