Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

One of the MNF pbp guys made the great point that Defense & Running Games travel in the NFL.  Regardless of weather, regardless of playing on the road, regardless of crowd noise in opposing stadiums.   

Right now they look like a carbon copy of the team that was in the playoffs and superbowl (and arguably a PI non-call away from their 6th SB win).  I still think Jimmy G is their Achilles heel for 2019, but I am not ruling out that he will develop into a better QB eventually, just hard to say either way right now because that running game is so good that he mostly just needs to convert 3rd & short passes.  Not to mention the play action in that offense is a thing of beauty to watch.

The 49ers are a great example of how if a front office can accept being mediocre for a couple seasons, instead of using 7-9/8-8 seasons to justify to the fans that they're "really close" you can actually build the team properly.  Also, do not trade away draft picks for free agents that aren't going to make a difference on an overall bad team.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Throw fuel over there all you want bro, ours is still the superior dumpster fire.

Ours was never the Super Bowl favorite. They took the time to string up festive lights over their dumpster, so I'll oblige them and enjoy it.

When were the Browns ever crowned Super Bowl favorites?  Vegas sure wasn’t listening.  Sure, the Browns had hype but not Super Bowl hype, that I can recall.  I don’t consider degenerate gamblers betting on them to mean there was ever legit hype by anyone worth their salt that they were actually going to win the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

When were the Browns ever crowned Super Bowl favorites?  Vegas sure wasn’t listening.  Sure, the Browns had hype but not Super Bowl hype, that I can recall.  I don’t consider degenerate gamblers betting on them to mean there was ever legit hype by anyone worth their salt that they were actually going to win the Super Bowl.

Forgive me, they were only FIFTH favorites. I'm sure Redskins get fifth best odds all the time.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/cleveland-browns-super-bowl-odds-drop-to-25-1-after-loss-to-tennessee-titans/95-bffc75bc-0dd2-436b-8af0-d0ad2b210e31

"entering the season with the fifth-best odds of winning this season's title at 14-1"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/19/browns-bears-gambling-odds-super-bowl-favorites\

"The Browns, who haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years, are 10-1 at Caesars and 18-1 at Westgate."

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6325623-cleveland-browns-odds-to-win-super-bowl-are-shocking

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2019/09/06/nfl-cleveland-browns-popular-super-bowl-pick/2212857001/

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Pfft..I see this allll the time with the Redskins.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Forgive me, they were only FIFTH favorites. I'm sure Redskins get fifth best odds all the time.

I'll give you that, it seems wild to me that they were 5th, but there could be mind tricks going on in Vegas on that as well.  Get the public believing in something they are absolutely certain cannot happen. 

I get the hype on the Browns not being what they've historically been and being sort of like what Bruce aspires our team to be, a fringe playoff team - could get in, might not, but not the dregs of the league.  But Super Bowl hype is just ridiculous.  Mayfield still has a ton to prove and they haven't yet invested in truly trying to protect him either.  They are so ripe for a Trent Williams trade.

The Pats offense has been pretty bad in several games this year.  It almost makes them look vulnerable.  But I wonder if this is another Brady/ Belichick trick to get the team to believe the rest of the NFL is saying they suck.  They are the ultimate dynasty in he NFL, but they seem to view themselves as the scrappy underdogs all the time.  They look rough right now, but I'm not buying it.  If they lose at some point in the next few weeks, I expect Gronk to un-retire, AB to resume his contract, and then see them trade a 4th round pick for Stephon Diggs.  Then, they dominate while playing the rest of the season enraged that someone on the internet said they they weren't good anymore.

7 minutes ago, Nerm said:

The Pats offense has been pretty bad in several games this year.  It almost makes them look vulnerable.  But I wonder if this is another Brady/ Belichick trick to get the team to believe the rest of the NFL is saying they suck.  They are the ultimate dynasty in he NFL, but they seem to view themselves as the scrappy underdogs all the time.  They look rough right now, but I'm not buying it.  If they lose at some point in the next few weeks, I expect Gronk to un-retire, AB to resume his contract, and then see them trade a 4th round pick for Stephon Diggs.  Then, they dominate while playing the rest of the season enraged that someone on the internet said they they weren't good anymore.

I don't think they're intentionally looking rough, but I think they're some of the best adapters in the game. They might look vulnerable, but they don't just lay back and accept that; they'll find a way to innovate.

The whole pass interference challenge thing is still the stupidest rule change I've ever seen. There's plenty of clear pass interference calls that are missed, and the NFL is still choosing to not call it. Why are they bothering with this? Do they really think the fans are stupid enough to believe this is different? The teams that spend timeouts on this are getting ripped off.

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Giants lose to the Pats 14-35

Skins lose to the Pats 7-33

Giants were one TD better than us. 

Yep. And we were two points better than them on defense :P sign Manusky to a 5 year extension!!! 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

OMFG! Does Bellicheat hate the Giants or what? They just cant beat that team. Hilarious.

Didn’t they (patriots) win in 2015? And 2007? 2011 they lost to the giants. And then won tonight. That’s 3-1 since 2007. In the super bowl they can’t seem to beat them. That’s fair to say. But Regular season, no problem, as it looks 😂

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The whole pass interference challenge thing is still the stupidest rule change I've ever seen. There's plenty of clear pass interference calls that are missed, and the NFL is still choosing to not call it. Why are they bothering with this? Do they really think the fans are stupid enough to believe this is different? The teams that spend timeouts on this are getting ripped off.

I hate that they do not even overturn when it is clear and obvious.  I would much rather see teams only get two or three challenges in a season, than to not acknowledge calls that should be obvious.  Make the replay rare, but accurate. If it doesn't define your season, do not challenge the call.

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The rule change seems reserved for end of games grossly missed calls.

If a coach wanted to push the envelope, they would use the challenge on a hail mary, when PI has been never called for decades.  Despite the most obvious infractions happening, usually a defender jumping up over the back of the receiver. Mob style mugging.

Archived