Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The 49ers front 7 is dominant but I don't think their secondary skill-wise is the same level.  The question is whether Cousins find something in himself to get the ball out there.  Going to be tough against this pass rush.   It is a tough pass rush to go against when you are simply dropping back.  I think you almost need to have some kind of x-factor as a QB to turn the tables on the pass rush.  Russell Wilson's mobility,  Aaron Rodgers's magic.  Not sure if Cousins has that type of dynamic element to his game.

VIkes O line can't hold up to dominant fronts. They just aren't good enough. And it looks like the VIkes suspect D came to SF today.  So Vikes will have to pass and its open season on Kirk.

The plan is there and the Vikings aren't doing it.  Stop being cute with run plays, just slam it in the middle on first and second (which we hate), then force San Fran into single man coverage on the third down and throw to one of your great receivers.  Or play action which is Cousins' strength.  In other words, expect to play on 3rd down, don't be a hero.  The Vikings aren't going to win with long clock eating drives, they need the big play and the big play happens on 3rd and 5 or less vs San Fran.

1 minute ago, Dirt said:

The plan is there and the Vikings aren't doing it.  Stop being cute with run plays, just slam it in the middle on first and second (which we hate), then force San Fran into single man coverage on the third down and throw to one of your great receivers.  Or play action which is Cousins' strength.  In other words, expect to play on 3rd down, don't be a hero.  The Vikings aren't going to win with long clock eating drives, they need the big play and the big play happens on 3rd and 5 or less vs San Fran.

Even the stupid color guy called it. And yes, Collinsworth is stupid.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kyle knows something:  if you show Kirk pressure he’s going to check that ball down 100% of the .......

Strong point. Quote shortened to save space.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kyle knows something:  if you show Kirk pressure he’s going to check that ball down 100% of the time.  

In that drive they pressured Kirk and the ball went exactly where they expected it to, and e 49ers are a good tackling team. 

Kirk has got to get the ball deep. 

Bingo.  Which is why they should skip all that and just hand the ball off right up the middle.  Probably the same result in yards without the risk of the ball flying around.

Vikes could do a lot worse than down 4 at the half.  I can see Kirk having a youlikethat moment today.  Gonna take a mistake or two by San Fran but it's there.  

I think they need to simplify in the second half.  Stop panicking and running sideways because you're in the playoffs.  Kirk does great on the move with play action.  His receivers can haul the tough passes in and there's always the pass interference flag that puts you in the redzone.  Go deep, or let diggs work.  Can't have that diggs play be the only diggs play of the day.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kyle knows something:  if you show Kirk pressure he’s going to check that ball down 100% of the time.  

In that drive they pressured Kirk and the ball went exactly where they expected it to, and e 49ers are a good tackling team. 

This is true for almost every QB.  If the pressure reaches slow developing pass plays pretty much vanish.  They start throwing quickly, which often means a quick decisions to check down.  Some rare QBs can easily buy a lot of time, but most are drastically worse if pressured well.  

Vikings relying on the screen play way too much. It is making it a short field for the 49ers defense and they are feasting.  They haven't really done much of anything in the passing game besides Diggs going superman on the TD play.

I have a feeling the 49ers come out in the 2nd half with a style of offense much closer to what was expected going into the game.  Heavy running game, play action passes to Kittle.   Looks like they purposely went away from that design to catch the Vikings defense off guard out of the gate.

Really, this is one of those games Cousins is going to have to show he can "make it happen" because overall the 49ers are just a better team.   The 49ers are the most complete team remaining in the NFC, it is a situation where the opposing QB has to put things on his shoulders.  Not a dig on Cousins and/or his abilities, just saying that when you are up against an opponent that overall is flat out the better team, the only real equalizer is when a QB defies those match ups.  We know Wilson/Rodgers have the ability to do it. 

The only way the Vikings play calling makes any sense is if they have zero confidence in Kirk or they are just incompetent. No other conclusion really. And I hate it cause they have a good team. They should be more aggressive imo. And while I have my doubts about Kirk, he CAN do it 

Archived