Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 College Football Thread

PleaseBlitz

College football starts in less than one month.  The AP and USA Today preseason polls have not yet been released, but you can bet that Clemson and Alabama will be 1 and 2 in some order.  

Favorites to win the Heisman are Tua Tagovailoa and Trevor Lawrence.

Season kicks off on 8/24 with a pretty good rivalry matchup of Miami v. Florida.

Been waiting for this year's iteration of this thread to pop up!

Yeah, Bama and Clemson in the top two without a doubt. Not really putting much stake in anything else until after the first week at least, and even then it's suspect as to who's really in any sort of contention. 

That time of year when all the CFB podcasts are starting to put out their preview episodes and I start eating it all up. At this point the season can't get here fast enough. 

Summing up the season...

Alabama, Clemson.  Some other teams are 3 and 4.  Someone ****ing incessantly that they didn't make the playoff.  Strength of schedule debate ensues.  Debate over whether or not to expand the playoffs which would still have someone ****ing incessantly that they still didn't make the playoffs.  Some big, fun upsets throughout the season.  Jim Harbaugh looking confused at some point and time.  Pageantry.  Memes and gifs galore.  A debate about the Heisman trophy.  

I'm not wrong.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not sure I see 7 wins this year for WVU. 😬

Nope, I don't either.  New coach, new QB, lost the most talent in one year that I can remember.  

I also think Neal Brown was the best coaching hire of any school last year and he's going to be awesome once he has 2-3 years and recruiting classes under his belt.  

13 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Penn State could be in for a world of hurt. First year without Trace McSorley or Saquon. OC Ricky Rahne yet to prove himself. 

Agreed. I think their schedule is going to be their best friend. Taking that into account I think the ceiling is about 10-2, I would expect around 8-4, and the floor is .500.

I'll try to keep the homerism minimal. But I can't lie, I'm legit excited about UVa this year. If Bryce Perkins stays healthy and Anae & co can find a way to compensate for losing Jordan Ellis and Olamide Zacchaeus this offense could be one of the best in the ACC. 

Some pundits are predicting us to take the Coastal and other big things which is cool. But I'm waiting until after the Pitt game to let myself buy too far into the hype yet.  But at this point it's hard not to feel pretty good going into Week 1.

39 minutes ago, jpage520 said:

I'll try to keep the homerism minimal. But I can't lie, I'm legit excited about UVa this year. If Bryce Perkins stays healthy and Anae & co can find a way to compensate for losing Jordan Ellis and Olamide Zacchaeus this offense could be one of the best in the ACC. 

Some pundits are predicting us to take the Coastal and other big things which is cool. But I'm waiting until after the Pitt game to let myself buy too far into the hype yet.  But at this point it's hard not to feel pretty good going into Week 1.

My many VT friends are legitimately down on their program because UVA is the favorite to win the Coastal.  They are struggling to process that, it is hilarious.  

17 hours ago, China said:

Projecting College Football Preseason Top 25 at the Start of Fall Camp

I see Michigan State doesn't make the projected top 25.  Looks like they're expected to do about the same as last year.  Not so great.  If their offense (including QB play) doesn't improve, then I would agree that they aren't going to do much.

I see that Wisconsin cracked the projected top 25, with only Jonathan Taylor and no QB or D. Makes no sense to me. (I will be at the Wisconsin/Michigan State game in Madison this year).

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My many VT friends are legitimately down on their program because UVA is the favorite to win the Coastal.  They are struggling to process that, it is hilarious.  

I'm sure the basketball and lacrosse Nattys UVa won this year haven't helped those feelings much TBH. Lol They DO NOT like it when we get nice things. Seeing a whole lot of Hokies really clinging hard to "The Streak" lately. Which, hey, I get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to absolutely lose my s**** whenever we finally end that damn thing and bring the Cup back to CVille. But I get it. If I was in their spot I would be holding onto that too.

On one hand, he's 60 and has had the same gig literally for my entire life (Got the job in 87) and as he stated in that business not everyone gets to go out on their own terms. So in that sense, good for him. Although I would love to see the end of his tenure end differently than Beamer's with a snapped streak. He'll be set for the rest of his life and likely get a nice (and frankly well deserved) kush gig somewhere within the VPI program.

On the other, I honestly can't help but believe that him not getting the HC gig after Beamer left plays SOME role in this. I've heard he and Fuente aren't always on the same page. But that's just speculation I've heard here and there and could be completely wrong. But at the same time, there's no question that had to have some effect. I know I wasn't the only one who basically assumed the job was his and was very surprised when they hired Fuente instead. 

On 7/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, Elessar78 said:

Penn State could be in for a world of hurt. First year without Trace McSorley or Saquon. OC Ricky Rahne yet to prove himself. 

I'm actually pretty excited right now.  I mean, they have to break in the new QB but this kid actually has an arm, whereas McSorley relied on his legs, guts, and a belief that he could throw the ball anywhere, despite the fact that his arm strength couldn't always back it up.  That's great and can take you a long way, but the new kid is a legit thrower.  And they have skill players.  The O-line is a question as usual.

Penn State's defense could be a monster this season.  They'll keep the tough games close, I'd think.  We'll see.

The one thing is, as much as his in game decisions are questionable, Franklin is a hell of a recruiter and speaking strictly by recruiting rankings, etc. this is the most overall talent Penn State has had in forever.  They still have to prove something on the field, but these teams the next few seasons "should" be more competitive with Ohio State, which is of course the current and likely future benchmark.

This story is amazing, I've been following it for weeks.

The original story:

According to the Saluda County Sheriff’s Office incident report, obtained by The New York Post, Werts — a quarterback on the Georgia Southern University football team — was arrested on Wednesday, July 31 after police pulled him over for speeding. As he was being stopped, police found a “white powder” on the hood of his car — a Dodge Charger — that tested positive for cocaine during a field test.

However, according to Werts, the substance was actually just “bird poop” that he failed to clean off days prior.

The kid was pilloried because, obviously the cops could not have ****ed up misidentifying BIRD **** and mistakenly thought it was cocaine.  THE KID IS CRAZY AND A DRUG ADDICT.

https://brobible.com/culture/article/georgia-southern-quarterback-cocaine-bird-poop/

And, like I said earlier, once you’re caught, it’s better to just shut the hell up and be as much of a kiss-ass as possible, as opposed to crafting a lie so preposterous that it insinuates you think the cop is a real Grade-A idiot.

And https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/watch-video-surfaces-of-college-qb-being-arrested-after-calling-cocaine-bird-poop/

Werts was pulled over and arrested for speeding. An officer saw a white powder on Werts’ roof though, and when asked about it, Werts claimed that it was bird poop.

Hint: It wasn’t bird poop.

It was in fact cocaine.

Guess what?  It was bird poop.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/08/09/young-black-football-player-was-arrested-after-claiming-cocaine-his-car-was-bird-poop-it-was-bird-poop/

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) tests were conducted on the substance samples collected from the hood of Werts’ 2016 Dodge Charger, but the results confirmed that no controlled substance was present in the samples.

“I have not seen (the SLED results) yet,” Eargle said on a phone call Thursday night. “But I was informed that the test did come back and that there was no controlled substance found.”

The football team has since lifted the suspension. Werts told the deputies who stopped him that the substance was probably bird poop. 

This is ridiculous. These field tests are notoriously unreliable. That hasn’t stopped police departments from using them, of course. And it also doesn’t mean we should just shrug it off when someone is falsely arrested, portrayed in the media as a drug user, and subjected to national ridicule because the police relied on tests known to have a high rate of false positives.

Even putting aside the reliability issue, I have questions.

• Do the officers who pulled Werts over really believe that cocaine would remain on the hood of a car after that car was driven at 80 miles per hour? What manner of consuming cocaine would cause the cocaine to stick to the hood? I’m having a difficult time imagine any interaction with the drug that would result in portions of it being stuck to the hood of a car in a manner that could withstand wind at 80 miles per hour.
  • Given all of that, why would these deputies see a white substance on the hood, and immediately assume it was cocaine, rather than the dozen or so other more likely explanations? Have they ever mistaken bird poop for cocaine before? Why would they decide that this was a substance that needed to be tested at all?
  • Is it possible that they were influenced by — and I’m just spit-balling here — the fact that Werts was a young black guy driving a sports car?
  • Even if it was cocaine, how did they plan to tie it to Werts? It would be one thing if that powder was inside the car. But were they prepared to hold the man liable for a substance on the outside of his car — and could have come from anywhere?

Archived