• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as head coach, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlanta Skins Fan

Spurrier to UNC in 2004: "Done deal"

The source for this is KevinMac @ CPND, a member with 1,278 posts. Here's his post in entirety:

http://mb9.theinsiders.com/fcpndhardcorefrm1.showMessage?topicID=25847.topic

Posted: 12/15/03 5:54:54 pm

ASSOCIATE AD TELLS ME THAT SPURRIER IS HEADED TO UNC

You can take this post for what it's worth. Only a few people on here know me, so I can understand the reluctance to accept what I am going to say. And I'm not even saying it is 100% accurate, either, but I believe it.

I am an alum of UNC, and I still stay in constant touch with people in the athletic department. During the past 4 days I have had 2 people that work in the AD and one football booster tell me, independant of each other, that Spurrier to Carolina is a done deal. The particulars have been worked out (unofficially since he can't negotiate obviously) and that Spurrier will quit within a few days of the Philly game and take the Tar Heel job.

I bring this up now because I just heard a local sportscaster say that he heard the same thing from someone down in Carolina. That makes 4 people on 4 different occasions saying the same story.

You can take it for what it's worth, but I can say that the two people in the athletic department have never lead me wrong and have always given the scoop several days ahead of time (re: coaching changes, etc). I will say that these are people involved with the basketball team, and this is the first time we've ever discussed anything regarding another sport. They very well may be regurgitating rumor from within the UNC Family, but they seemed convinced. After hearing it mentioned on the radio, I am now convinced as well.

We will have a new coach next season.

I still think Spurrier and Snyder are just engaged in a dance of lies and posturing to improve their legal position over Spurrier's remaining $15 million. Each is trying to push the other into pulling the trigger / jumping off the plane.

That's what "Absolutely" means in poker, by the way. :)

I don't see it. Why would he go to a below average college football program when he could have a school like LSU if Saban leaves?

That's even assuming he leaves here this year, which I doubt will happen. Oh well. Stranger things have happened.

I still find it hard to believe that this is going to happen... I mean, UNC? He could certainly find a higher-tone college job than that...

-s

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Lies, lies, lies.

And am I the only person who wants Spurrier back? I think something will finally happen in year three.

No, but it's down to three or four of ya:D

Lies, lies, lies.

And am I the only person who wants Spurrier back? I think something will finally happen in year three.

No, your'e not alone... I'm just tired of fighting the negativity. I'm spending more time in the Tailgate.

:cheers:

Lies, lies, lies.

Yeah, Spurrier will be looking for a new job in 2005; that's what will happen in year 3.

Spurrier will not be any better in year 3.

I don't know about this rumor, but if Spurrier resigns; that would be the best thing for us.

the owner gave Spurrier a vote of confidence on Wednesday and on Sunday the team played its worst game in 2 years. Do you think that is all coincidence? :)

also, is it a coincidence that everyone from Ron Jaworski to Sam Huff agrees that this staff is slow to adapt and make changes to remain competitive as game conditions warrant?

the people asking for Year 3 of this horror show are just masochists.

I'll take that bet though.

I fully believe that Spurrier will be returning for one more run. Snyder still wants him and Spurrier's ego sees guys like Vermeil taking 3 years with his 2 last teams to get them any good.

Bufford, you must be one of the guys that were still holding out hope that Turner was going to turn the proverbial corner after being head coach for almost a decade :)

It is NOT the record alone that has convinced me of the necessity of making a change, it is the trendline and character of the team.

This is not a club that is improving in any noticeable way.

In fact the team looks stuck in a rut where even with a 4 turnover gift from Dallas in game 1 can't pull out a victory.

I remember watching the Jaguar game when Phil Simms noted that importance of the quarterback/offensive coordinator relationship, and how a bad play-caller or coach can make a great QB look bad...They said that Bill Musgrave and Byron Leftwich are a good fit and will make Pro Bowls for the kid. All I could think of is how Ramsey is being held back by Spurrier and his lack of play design as well as protection. I'm sure looking at Spurrier's playbook is like looking at a Madden playbook, no coordination of the routes because he doesn't know that you need that in the pros.

Originally posted by SkinInsite

Other than maybe Jimmy Johnson, who can take this team and make them winners in year 1.

Deion Sanders...I hear he's in the coaching market. I just hope he'll settle for DC instead of Atlanta...:rolleyes:

that is in fact a good question...who WOULD want to come and coach here?

In mean Danny is a reputation/coach killer.

is it worth the money?

Ask Stevie, et al.

in my opinion, you could bring in another coach, keep most of the offensive personnel and have the makings of a very good offensive team next season.

first you shelve the pass first garbage. second, you give Ramsey a running game to back him up through free agency or the draft or by promoting from within.

you run the ball which suits the offensive line and use Ramsey's arm to get to Coles and Gardner down the field.

On defense the club is going to have to make more meaningful changes, but those are due in any event.

If you consider Spurrier being offered the UNC job as a thought experiment, what follows is a fascinating high-stakes poker game between Snyder and Spurrier.

The basic facts are that if Snyder fires Spurrier, Spurrier gets an extra $15 million payday to go along with his first $10 million. If Spurrier quits, he's "stuck" with only $10 million.

Each would be hoping the other would blink first. Spurrier knows that the pool of good NFL coaching candidates is slim, so every day that Snyder waits after the end of the season is a chance that the best candidate is gone. At the same time, if the UNC rumor is true, Spurrier has to take that job quickly in order to make up for lost time in the college recruiting season.

The wildcard in this poker game is Sonny Jurgenson's "big grin" after a conversation with Snyder. If I had to put money on the most likely scenario, it's that *both* Spurrier and Snyder have their options locked up (UNC for Spurrier, and a particular coach to be hired by Snyder). If true, this puts Snyder in a strong bargaining position -- he should be able to outlast Spurrier, who would need to accept the UNC position before the college recruiting season expires.

But how could Snyder have locked up a coaching prospect? It wouldn't be a highly coveted guy like Jimmy Johnson or Denny Green, who would hold out for open market and might not want to work for Snyder. The candidate who springs to mind is Joe Bugel, who never made it to the top in his two head coaching stints (Cardinals, Raiders), and who might be interested in one last hurrah for the Redskins.

Looking backward at the Bugel/Snyder meeting in midseason, this idea could have been discussed in broad parameters at that time. Bugel might have said, "Sure, I'd coach this team -- but I'm not taking over in midseason. If Spurrier's gone at the end of the season, I'll come back for the right deal."

A few conversations later comes the leak to Jurgenson by Snyder. And the big grin. :)

I do think Bugel is the kind of guy who could fix the Redskins. A smash-mouth devotee who, unlike Marty, can engage and be liked by the players. A back-to-basics, NFC East guy. A guy who might relish taking on Parcells one more time.

Bugel wouldn't be certain to succeed, based on his past track record as head coach. But one stint was with the impossible Cardinals, and the other was with the Raiders, where a 4-12 record in his only season (1997) was a bit misleading. Five losses were by three points or less, and the offense (Bugel's forte) was actually quite good most of the time. If Bugel can arrive with a defensive guru, he could be fine.