Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Quick question.  Why do the Redskins give a guy like Jimmy Moreland #25 when Chris Thompson already has the number?  I could see if there were no more available numbers left in preseason but nobody wears #27 and to my knowledge it isn’t unofficially retired.  They better not be holding off on giving it out because of Fred Smoot LOL

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This explains why Manusky was playing prevent defense.  

30 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Yes, but we had second and third teamer’s out there other than Bostic.

And Bostic missed a tackle on the RB allowing him to get out of bounds.  

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Yes, but we had second and third teamer’s out there other than Bostic.

The question is WHY? If jay knew what was coming why not put the starters in and overload blitz them and force Baker to do it with some pressure in his face just to show you have some hutzpah? Instead of just bumbling around like nothing even matters?

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah who cares if the Browns told Redkind of their plans... this is preseason... no need to us to change what we do in preseason just to accommodate what Browns want to do...  remember Osaka!

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is WHY? If jay knew what was coming why not put the starters in and overload blitz them and force Baker to do it with some pressure in his face just to show you have some hutzpah? Instead of just bumbling around like nothing even matters?

Question is why risk our players for Browns benefit?  Its just first preseason game...

19 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Question is why risk our players for Browns benefit?  Its just first preseason game...

It's not to the 'Skins benefit, it's good practice reps against what looks to be a top offense in a special situation.  I don't care about benefiting the Browns, I want the 'Skins to prepare for the season so they have some shot of not being 1-4 at best after 5 games. If the Browns TELL you what they are going to do, then use it to your advantage.  It's like the 'Skins just passed up an opportunity to work on a 2 minute situation because ... they're scared.  

It's one of my criticisms overall of this entire organization: they come across as playing not to lose, not playing to win.  That's in game strategy to how they approach the pre-season.  Instead of using it as an opportunity to get better, we just try and gt through it.

And as the adage goes, if you play not to lose, you'll never win.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because it's preseason and nobody cares...

13 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Because it's preseason and nobody cares...

And if we started out somewhat well every year, I’d be ok with that.  But it seems as though we are lackadaisical in the preseason and that almost always carries over to the regular season, so maybe if you juice up the preseason and don’t let yourself be posterized it will also carry forward?  Maybe not (Osaka?) But it’s at least worth a try, I think.

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's not to the 'Skins benefit, it's good practice reps against what looks to be a top offense in a special situation.  I don't care about benefiting the Browns, I want the 'Skins to prepare for the season so they have some shot of not being 1-4 at best after 5 games. If the Browns TELL you what they are going to do, then use it to your advantage.  It's like the 'Skins just passed up an opportunity to work on a 2 minute situation because ... they're scared.  

It's one of my criticisms overall of this entire organization: they come across as playing not to lose, not playing to win.  That's in game strategy to how they approach the pre-season.  Instead of using it as an opportunity to get better, we just try and gt through it.

And as the adage goes, if you play not to lose, you'll never win.

Yeah, Jay's philosophy towards preseason sitting vets often multiple games bleeds into the team. They come out thinking the game is not important and come out flat. I'm not sure why second and third stringers catch that bug, but they seem too.

From a distance, Jay treats the preseason like a waste of time.

Bit late (time zone in Netherlands and work) but about the game. 

Haskins: you see the talent. You also see that he needs to grow a lot but I saw a lot of things I could work with as a coach. 

Moreland: ball'er. Everybody loves this kid, me too. But don't put him in the ring of fame yet. He made plays but was also beaten 4 times in a row by a Browns 4th string receiver. 

ILB: first half was just to cry for. Holcomb showed some stuff but he needs to improve his hamer. He got the tackle but O player always could fall forward. 

Oline: panic mode should get on. The second half we had our starting left side and it looked meh against there 3th string. Martin looked good on some second level run block but also got blown up a couple of times. 

Pass rush nothing special. WRs didn't had a lot to work with. Was a so so opener. 

I believe the Skins are off on Monday.

So enjoy today's practice, if and while you can.

31 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Moreland: ball'er. Everybody loves this kid, me too. But don't put him in the ring of fame yet. He made plays but was also beaten 4 times in a row by a Browns 4th string receiver. 

The guy that beat him 4 times, is that the same one who's his ex-teammate at JMU ?

If so, that's an even worse sign.

He should be very familiar with that guy's tendencies.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And if we started out somewhat well every year, I’d be ok with that.  But it seems as though we are lackadaisical in the preseason and that almost always carries over to the regular season, so maybe if you juice up the preseason and don’t let yourself be posterized it will also carry forward?  Maybe not (Osaka?) But it’s at least worth a try, I think.

At the same time you have to wonder why the Browns need to work their 2 minute offense live during preseason when you know guys like Gruden loves to rest sure starter on first and last games out of it.

Most of the NFL never gameplan for preseason and use these games to test player's depth, test a few plays and that's it.

The single fact that the Browns needed to do it with their first stringers is kinda weird in itself.

So you can complain that we didn't put up our first stringers to see how they do against those Browns. But sending second or third stringers in this situation is way more interesting for coaches than not.

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe the Skins are off on Monday.

So enjoy today's practice, if and while you can.

The guy that beat him 4 times, is that the same one who's his ex-teammate at JMU ?

If so, that's an even worse sign.

He should be very familiar with that guy's tendencies.

He wasn't beat for td's so who cares.Get those turnovers Jimmy Moreland.Turnovers out weigh firstdowns all day.This guy is a ball magnet.If teams test him they will get burned.

58 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At the same time you have to wonder why the Browns need to work their 2 minute offense live during preseason when you know guys like Gruden loves to rest sure starter on first and last games out of it.

Most of the NFL never gameplan for preseason and use these games to test player's depth, test a few plays and that's it.

The single fact that the Browns needed to do it with their first stringers is kinda weird in itself.

So you can complain that we didn't put up our first stringers to see how they do against those Browns. But sending second or third stringers in this situation is way more interesting for coaches than not.

It really feels like other teams do that to us every year in preseason.

Like, treat it much like a regular season game. Like, leaving their starters in much longer than us, and thing things like this 2 minute drill.

Archived