Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mason Foster released

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, moondog said:

I’m not concerned at all about the level of play. I think there is almost no dropoff from him to Boston or SDH. 

My issue is that we’ll know SDH injury history and this team’s injury history with injury prone players. IMO it’s pretty much a guarantee that either

holcomb or JHC will see starter snaps this year, likely a chunk of them because I seriously doubt SDH ability to make it through an entire season. I’ll give Foster that, he rarely missed any time. 

In effect, this means our ILB will be SDH Bostic JHC and Holcomb with Anderson as a utility type player but I don’t see them bringing Foster back even if he’s available and someone else goes down. 

I like the move in that it continues the youth trend as well as cheaper rookie contracts on the books, regardless of new deals or not for Trent and Scherff. It’s a good move but one that carries significant risk given SDH’s knee issues. 

I generally agree with your comment but not about Foster rarely missing time. He was injured a lot which I am guessing is why they felt they could do this. Here are his games played over his 8 yr career starting with 2011: 16, 16, 15, 10, 13, 16, 5, 16. He missed 22% (14 of 64) of the Redskins games over 4 seasons. And he missed 7 for the Bucs. So since 2013 he has missed 21 games in total. That is a lot to me, especially when 14 of those are the last 4 yrs.  

I agree we could be jumping from the pan to the fire. I like SDH a lot but he has yet to show he can make a full season. Bostic has had his own injury issues. But they get those guys much cheaper than Foster - so I can see the move. 

Don't mind the move at all.Between Holcomb, SDH, JHC and Bostic at the very least we can get similar production from our middle linebackers position that we had last year at a fraction of the cost.I really hope that Holcomb's development is behind this move.His physical traits could be a huge benefit to this defense. Speed kills and we really need some in the middle of this defense.

They have been trying to replace Foster for awhile, I guess they finally got the incentive to get it done.  Whether because they like other guys better or need cash for other priorities I think we are moving the right direction.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

i think they've been ready to move on from Mason for a while now.. even with Reubens injury. They must like what they see from the other linebackers. 

I'm all for liking what they see, but they're a couple days from camp opening, why not see what happens with competition?  They already are thin there.  God forbid, one of these guys comes up lame in camp with an injury.

I was curious to see how Foster looked after dropping some weight.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like it actually gives him plenty of time to hook up with another team, if someone wants him.

An entire TC to acclimate.

But he also missed the meat of the FA period when slots were readily available. Presumably better money too.  He's now gotta hope he gets a break.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm all for liking what they see, but they're a couple days from camp opening, why not see what happens with competition?  They already are thin there.  God forbid, one of these guys comes up lame in camp with an injury.

i doubt Foster will get scooped up for anything over a vet min contract by any other team. If something happens, i am sure we could bring him back for much cheaper. In any case his level of production can be had with any number of FA linebackers at a discount 

1 hour ago, Mr.Will said:

Making more room on the books for Trent-Jordan reeds,Sprinkle and maybe even Norman expendable

Yes, let's cut Vernon Davis too.  Tight End is an outdated position.  It's gone the way of the Fullback.  To everyone saying otherwise, name one "great" TE that's won a championship that's currently still in the league.  Thought not.  Gronk retired such a long time ago it might as well be a different era.

We'll utilize our deep and talented group of wide receivers to spread them out!  Elite talent such as Josh Doctson, Mr. Irrelevant, and somebody who played for Nick Saban at Alabama.

It's unparalleled really.  When Bill Belichick retires and writes his memoirs, he'll write about how he regrets not thinking of the TE-less strategy first.  His swan song will be that of regret, as he sees the Redskins become the true innovators he never could.

If they are looking for another player to cut based on their contract then they could be looking at Davis the tight end.  He had a lot of drops last year.

Another possible cut should be Colt McCoy.  You can always stash a young quarterback on injured reserve or some other non 53 man squad.  I wish

we had kept the backup quarterback that the Eagles stole from us last year.

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If they are looking for another player to cut based on their contract then they could be looking at Davis the tight end.  He had a lot of drops last year.

Another possible cut should be Colt McCoy.  You can always stash a young quarterback on injured reserve or some other non 53 man squad.  I wish

we had kept the backup quarterback that the Eagles stole from us last year.

Could be...

Because I'm really curious to see what Josh Woodrum has to show, and if he can be a capable backup in the league, and maybe take Colt's spot.

Foster was one of those players who was solid until coordinators found a weakness in his game, and it was exposed over and over.  Nothing scheme-wise was able to mask how awful Foster was at covering sideline to sideline, it seemed like just about every run to the outside would feature Foster trying to desperately run the ball carrier down from behind. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just wondering what we have in mind with the extra 4 mill.  Could we be looking at signing a FA OT or is the money going to be used to give to Brandon in resigning him?  I surely hope the Skins don't give more money to TW.

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just wondering what we have in mind with the extra 4 mill.  Could we be looking at signing a FA OT or is the money going to be used to give to Brandon in resigning him?  I surely hope the Skins don't give more money to TW.

They may need money for Scherff. Could be considered emergency money. Who knows. Maybe they just want rid of him..  🙂  

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could be...

Because I'm really curious to see what Josh Woodrum has to show, and if he can be a capable backup in the league, and maybe take Colt's spot.

I watched Woodrum play on the Salt Lake Stallions. Don’t hold your breath, he’s not good.

Archived