Sign in to follow this  
Larry

Apollo 11 50th anniversary

Part of me is surprised there's not already a thread on this. 

The depressed, Eeyore, part of me says I should expect it. 

For a long time, I used to get depressed thinking about this day. My thoughts would fixate of the fact that it took us around a decade to go from creating a space program, to that huge achievement. And that in the 10 (then 20, then 30, and so on) years since then, we've gone from putting a man on the Moon, to literally not being able to put a man in orbit again. 

I keep remembering probably the only poem I've ever remembered, published in Analog magazine's 10th anniversary issue. 

They made it. We all made it, just a bit. 

Like vikings, leaving runes and little more. 

Taking the Lesser Light where God placed it, 

to show ourselves just what a Heaven's for. 

They loped like diving suited kangaroos

over that sterile world of one night stands. 

Driving moon bugs and golf balls to amuse 

the children, while the stars slipped through our hands. 

They're gone now, to their shrinks and shrunken space. 

The praise is theirs. It's ours to wonder why 

the world's still flat, and dreams are out of grace. 

So I, believing less each summer, pry 

open that lost, last, year, to see Earth bright 

and cool and blue in velvet night. 

Posted (edited)

Humanity made incredible leaps in WW2 and the Cold War.

We put a man on the moon. Then we collectively said “good enough.” Like we finally stepped foot outside the home that is our planet and decided that the front porch was far enough for us. 

We figured out how to harness the power of our universe, atomic energy, then spent the next 50 years discouraging the discovery of its uses because our species was only interested in using it to build weapons that would destroy us all. 

The day we cease the exploration of the cosmos is the day we threaten the continuing of our species.

In that bleak world, arms-bearing, 
resource-hungry people & nations would be prone to act on their low-contracted prejudices, and would have seen the last gasp of human enlightenment. 

Until the rise of a visionary new culture that once again embraces the cosmic perspective; 
a perspective in which we are one, fitting neither above nor below, but within.” -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I was going to wait until tomorrow to start it, I've said before we always knew it was unsubstainable without it generating its own income somehow, we shoulda got private sector involved sooner.

Anyway, this is the mountument in DC at night lately, I'll be there tomorrow night for the "launch"

12649.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Besides generally satellite technology.... What else has anyone gained from going to space? 

Seems a waste of money usually. 

15 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Besides generally satellite technology.... What else has anyone gained from going to space? 

1)  You do realize that "satellite technology" means "literally anything that's done in space"?

2)  And do you really intend to claim that there were no benefits whatsoever in the form of tech?  

Have we found a an energy source?, a habitable planet?, a cure for cancer? Nope. 

And yes I realize those things. 

4 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Have we found a an energy source?

Actually, yes.  It's called "solar".  :) 

That's one of the funny things about space.  Once you get there, transportation costs very little (as long as you aren't going up or down to/from a planet), and (once you put the appropriate collector in place), energy is virtually free.  

At one time, there was quite a movement going to try to get the US to commit to colonizing spece, for the purpose of collecting solar energy, and beaming that power to Earth.  The basic level calculations that could be done said that the plan would actually pay for itself, with interest, in 18 years.  

(Although I note that I haven't heard a thing about the idea for like 30 years.  I don't know if that's because the enthusiasts decided to aim considerably less grand, or if they found some problems with the idea that I haven't heard of.)  

And the whole rationale behind space colonization is that space is a much more desirable location than any planet is.  (Because of the incredible shipping costs associated with getting things up/down from planets.)  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Have we found a an energy source?, a habitable planet?, a cure for cancer? Nope. 

And yes I realize those things. 

Maybe we need all our satellites wiped out to appreciate how our society depends on them for so much now.  Was not expecting this post, it's taking our space program for granted. I mean, how are we supposed to find a habitable planet if we dont look? We have found potentials with only looking at a fraction of what's out there.  I'd argue it being so hard has put into perspective how important protecting this one really is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/pdf/spinoff2008.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiq5OyUzcTjAhWBdt8KHc4cBbcQFjALegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3NmhmsKk93vF1TKdeyGDC4&cshid=1563663712379

https://www.thrillist.com/tech/12-things-nasa-invented-that-you-use-everyday

11358.jpg

• Like 1

I'll look at that later, blurry on my phone. I have a feeling most of it is not too big of a deal. 

Posted (edited)

It was crowded today at Kennedy Space Center.     I'll post some pics later. 

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Think of the space program as a long term investment.  Eventually, we are going to have to get off this rock and/or protect ourselves from something from space (comet, meteor, etc).

Funding the space program today, helps us prepare to do that sometime in the future.

You can't go from A to C without going through B.  I won't have enough money to retire in a year, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't save for retirement today.  The space program is the same on the level of the human species.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My best friend from HS and I went camping at Oregon Inlet just south of Nags Head for two weeks after graduation. The rangers came around and said the Kitty Hawk site was going to have TVs set up to view the moon walk. So I got to watch the moon walk on the site of the Wright Brothers first flight. Very humbling and exciting!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe we need all our satellites wiped out to appreciate how our society depends on them for so much now.  Was not expecting this post, it's taking our space program for granted. I mean, how are we supposed to find a habitable planet if we dont look? We have found potentials with only looking at a fraction of what's out there.  I'd argue it being so hard has put into perspective how important protecting this one really is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/pdf/spinoff2008.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiq5OyUzcTjAhWBdt8KHc4cBbcQFjALegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3NmhmsKk93vF1TKdeyGDC4&cshid=1563663712379

https://www.thrillist.com/tech/12-things-nasa-invented-that-you-use-everyday

Your picture failed to include the most important invention of all: pens that can write upside-down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Your picture failed to include the most important invention of all: pens that can write upside-down.

Tang. 

Posted (edited)

Wine in a box. Not that they had wine in space, for liquids.

There's no underwear is space either, according to George Lucas via Carrie Fisher. BTW, this is probably NSFW, because Carrie Fisher!

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Zero gravity toilets.  In which the feces literally hits the rotary air circulatory device.  

Here's some pics I took at the Kennedy Space Center Saturn V exhibit, yesterday.

67165108_10217463190563570_4922935048463

67349126_10217463192043607_8708178176985

67104107_10217463195363690_7959503340784

Here's Neil Armstrong's Corvette:

67471755_10217463207523994_4626186635472

67281421_10217463208044007_1052355893343

67261118_10217463208644022_5991752958746

• Like 1