Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extending Season to 18 games

The NFL could still get the same results by adding extra bye weeks into the season and keep the teams at 16 games. They can increase TV revenue. I guess they want the ticket, parking, and concessions revenue too. There's an element that you gotta leave everyone wanting more. They have it about perfect now. Don't mess it up over money.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever the NFL adds that 17th game, what will it be?

Another interconference game.  I've suggested permanent rivalry game like Jets-Giants.  Most teams have a natural rival.

Another intraconference game?

It will be interesting to see what they do there.

I'm pretty sure that 17th game will be neutral site game. So, the NFL can play games overseas more than they do now.  Also, maybe some neutral sites here in the States or Canada/Mexico.  Though, if preseason goes to 3 games, that 3rd game will probably also be a neutral site game.  I can see the NFL create a new package for that 17th game. Maybe something online like Youtube or Amazon.  Stream that game online since in many cases it will be overseas.

17 games is so clunky. The schedule is so nice and symetrical as it is, why ruin things?

With that said, if they are to expand the schedule, it should be to 18. No other sports league has an odd number of games, it's just wacky.

Get rid of two preseason games. Add two regular season games and an extra bye week. Play Super Bowl Sunday the day before President's Day. Wham bam thank you ma'am. Gimme Goodell's job.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:17 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Was reading at PFT that the nfl will rotate 9 home games. One year one conference gets 9 home games and the other conference gets 9 home the next year.

Stupid if happens. Just make the 17th game a neutral site game.

Thinking about it, if they are hell bent on going to 17 instead of 18, I think the rotating home games would be the fairest way to do it. That way a team can't complain that another team in their division or conference got a competitive advantage by having more home games (although it happens to a minor extent with the London stuff).

Neutral site game? That is a lot easier said than done. Where would a Redskins vs (pick random opponent) neutral site game be held? Would it be at a place equidistant between the two cities? And you'd expect fans of both teams to travel to the place? No thanks. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am assuming the NFL is going to rotate the 9th home game.  Teams with get a 9th home game, every other year.

You know, why do that.   Tie that 9th home game; as a reward for finishing in the Top 16.  The Top 8 teams in each conference are rewarded with a Ninth home game; the following year.  That would be the 7 playoff teams, plus the one team that just missed out on the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I am assuming the NFL is going to rotate the 9th home game.  Teams with get a 9th home game, every other year.

You know, why do that.   Tie that 9th home game; as a reward for finishing in the Top 16.  The Top 8 teams in each conference are rewarded with a Ninth home game; the following year.  That would be the 7 playoff teams, plus the one team that just missed out on the playoffs. 

Yes, all of the AFC teams will be home one year and all of the NFC teams will be home the next.

39 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Grant Paulson said today that our 17th game would be against the Chiefs if we win Sunday.  I don’t think that’s correct as we are scheduled to play the AFC west (lookout Vegas!).  Anyone know which division our 17th game will come from?

The owners voted on a formula for that 17th game.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 12:10 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

FMIA: New Insight On NFL’s 17-Game Schedule  

In the Latest installment of PFT's Peter King FMIA; he spells out how the 17 game schedule will work out and how will they will handle the rotations of 9th home game. 

Rumor is, the schedule release will be mid-May this year, latest in league history. 17 game schedule is part of the reason for the late release 

Archived