Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extending Season to 18 games

I just saw that the Players Association said the expansion to 18 games would be bad for players. I started to think about that and came up with some reasons as to why the Players Union should embrace that IF:

1) Rosters are expanded from 53 players to X number (63?)

2) Limits on quarters a player can play (say 16 games). That would allow some playing time fro 2nd tier and coaches to prove themselves

3) Keep players from playing hurt with #1 being said

Seems the union has some leverage to get concessions and expand it's membership

What am I missing?? Allot more money and 2 less preseason games to risk injury

I'd support it if I was a player if they get something in return beside game checks

I agree that expanding both the overall roster and game day roster (the amount of guys that can dress for a game) would be necessary if they expanded to 18 games.  Plus, I think they should add a second bye week for every team, with each team getting a bye within the first half of the season and another within the second half of the season, and at least four weeks apart.   It would be a must prior to a Thursday Night game.  This would not only help with player safety and recovery, but would allow for more roster spots, both of which the NFLPA are pushing for, which would make it a win-win.

12 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I would love more football!!!!

If they expand the roster, will they increase the salary cap even more than the normal increase?  Because if they don't a lot of teams will be squeezed!!!

I would think they would have to increase the salary cap to support larger rosters.  

No.

17 games with 2 byes and expanded playoff field to 14 teams is the way to go.

Since the NFL insists on overseas games; you will now have a 17th game at a neutral site.  The NFL can even sell another TV package on that,  Taking a home game from the home team isn't right. Especially, since many cities pay for their teams stadiums.  

A second bye is a must.   With the 17th game and a second bye; that gives the NFL 2 more weeks of football. 

Might as well, expand the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams. 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

No.

17 games with 2 byes and expanded playoff field to 14 teams is the way to go.

Since the NFL insists on overseas games; you will now have a 17th game at a neutral site.  The NFL can even sell another TV package on that,  Taking a home game from the home team isn't right. Especially, since many cities pay for their teams stadiums.  

A second bye is a must.   With the 17th game and a second bye; that gives the NFL 2 more weeks of football. 

Might as well, expand the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams. 

I don't mind this at all. So, would every team play 1 neutral-site game? I suppose you do overseas games, potential new markets, etc. 

It would be cool if some regional games were played in random places. For example, if the Skins played the Ravens...it would be cool to play that in Annapolis or Richmond or something. 

On 7/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't mind this at all. So, would every team play 1 neutral-site game? I suppose you do overseas games, potential new markets, etc. 

It would be cool if some regional games were played in random places. For example, if the Skins played the Ravens...it would be cool to play that in Annapolis or Richmond or something. 

That 17th game can be regional rivalry.  IE  Skins- Ravens, Cowboys-Texans, etc..  For most teams, they already have a natural regional rival.  Obviously for the handful of teams that don't; you'd have to create one.

Teams with natural regional rivals:

Giants- Jets

Skins- Ravens

Boys- Texans

Eagles- Steelers

Bears- Colts

Lions- Browns

Bucs- Dolphins

Panthers- Jaguars: 95 Expansion Rivals

Falcons- Titans

Rams- Chargers

49ers- Raiders

Seahawks- Broncos

The rest  aren't really natural; so you would have to create rivals. 

Packers

Vikings

Saints

Cardinals

Patriots

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

It seems you were trying to create additional NFC/AFC matchup, but What about former division rivals?

Ex: Arizona used to play NYG, WAS, DAL, PHI
Ex: TItans used to play AFC North
Ex: Tampa Bay Used to play NFC North
Ex: Saints and Falcons used to play NFC West
Ex: Colts used to play AFC West
Ex: (Jaguars used to be in central too I think?)
Ex: Ravens were Browns so that doesn't help them.
Ex: Texans were always in South
Ex: Seattle Used to be in AFC West (KC, DEN, OAK, LAC)

Could create a pod system where teams that used to play former division rivals rotate through them, and then in the year that game isn't available, Would be free for another matchup.

So Like, Arizon could may NYG, WAS, DAL, PHI Home/Away  In back to back years.   New Orleans and Atlanta get a game against San Fran, Rams)  Catch is Ravens are already in former division.  Only team that's moved is Houston, but houston needs games with PIT, CLE/BAL, JAX, CIN

• 2 weeks later...

Would they extend the season into the summer or winter?

Maybe expand the draft a another round or two?

They may not need to add more cap if they just roll the 8-person practice squad into the roster.  Although, I’m not sure how the practice squad counts against the cap now. 

• 2 months later...

18 games is out, they are now pushing 17 games.

PFT: How would the schedule reflect a 17th game?

Since they insist on having neutral site games overseas; 17 games makes sense.

2 or 3 preseason games. 17 games over 19 weeks, with 2 byes.  Superbowl probably on President's Day Weekend.  Probable expansion of playoffs to 14 teams. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Does anybody here really want to see 2 extra games of the 2019 Redskins?  I can't say I do but I might if Haskins finished the season strong, let's hope.

18 games isn't happening.

I am all for 17 games, because the NFL insists on having international regular season games.   To make that happen, the NFL will have to make a major concessions.

I think changing Goodell's role in player discipline will be one concession.  Some major change to free agency also.  Maybe getting rid of the franchise or transition tag. Maybe making players eligible for free agency after 3 years.

You'd have 2 preseason games.  To replace the 2 games cut, you will get the 17th game and you will have a 2nd bye week. That 2nd bye week gives 19 weeks of football. Also, playoffs probably expanded to 14 teams with the team getting home field, the only team with a bye.

They could also say, players only have to play 16 games but I don't see that working because the NFL wouldn't want expanded rosters. I think you'd have to do that.

Well, whatever happens isn't happening for a couple of years. 

It seems like teams already have an impossible time getting through the season without a long list of injuries.  More games will just make the problem worse.  I'd keep it at 16 games but add more bye weeks.  I'd also eliminate short weeks caused by Thursday night football.  if they want to keep football on that night, than make it so only teams coming off a bye week can play on that night. 

Player health should be the absolute priority.

23 hours ago, Destino said:

It seems like teams already have an impossible time getting through the season without a long list of injuries.  More games will just make the problem worse.  I'd keep it at 16 games but add more bye weeks.  I'd also eliminate short weeks caused by Thursday night football.  if they want to keep football on that night, than make it so only teams coming off a bye week can play on that night. 

Player health should be the absolute priority.

😄😄

$$$$$$ is the absolute priority and if the players agree to 17 games, $$$$$$$$ will play a big role.

I keep reading that players and the nfl are close to a new deal. Current one expires in the 2021 offseason.   I personally think there will be a labor standoff- either lockout or strike.

If I were the players, I wouldn't agree to anything until after the contract expires in the 2021 offseason.

• 2 months later...

Poll shows strong fan opposition to 17-game season

I'm with Florio on this one, 17 game season is inevitable.  If the players union didn't want 17 game season; then that should've been the first point in negotiating that 17 games was a non-starter.  Why negotiate  for a deal with a 17 game season; when your membership opposes it. 

17 games with only 1 bye, is stupid.  If you're going to insist on 17 games games, 2 byes is at minimum.  I like the idea the guy Florio is talking to about the 2nd bye.  Have one week off for the entire NFL.  His 2nd idea was giving them Christmas off. 

My guess we are headed for a shutdown until the players give in, when they don't get their paychecks in 2021.

Archived