Sign in to follow this  
The Hangman- C_Hanburger

Extending Season to 18 games

I just saw that the Players Association said the expansion to 18 games would be bad for players. I started to think about that and came up with some reasons as to why the Players Union should embrace that IF:

1) Rosters are expanded from 53 players to X number (63?)

2) Limits on quarters a player can play (say 16 games). That would allow some playing time fro 2nd tier and coaches to prove themselves

3) Keep players from playing hurt with #1 being said

Seems the union has some leverage to get concessions and expand it's membership

What am I missing?? Allot more money and 2 less preseason games to risk injury

I'd support it if I was a player if they get something in return beside game checks

• Like 1

I agree that expanding both the overall roster and game day roster (the amount of guys that can dress for a game) would be necessary if they expanded to 18 games.  Plus, I think they should add a second bye week for every team, with each team getting a bye within the first half of the season and another within the second half of the season, and at least four weeks apart.   It would be a must prior to a Thursday Night game.  This would not only help with player safety and recovery, but would allow for more roster spots, both of which the NFLPA are pushing for, which would make it a win-win.

• Like 2

I would love more football!!!!

If they expand the roster, will they increase the salary cap even more than the normal increase?  Because if they don't a lot of teams will be squeezed!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I would love more football!!!!

If they expand the roster, will they increase the salary cap even more than the normal increase?  Because if they don't a lot of teams will be squeezed!!!

I would think they would have to increase the salary cap to support larger rosters.  

• Like 2

The league needs to avoid the temptation. You have to leave people wanting more. At some point you risk over saturation. It could be argued they're already there. 

Plus safety...

• Like 2

No.

17 games with 2 byes and expanded playoff field to 14 teams is the way to go.

Since the NFL insists on overseas games; you will now have a 17th game at a neutral site.  The NFL can even sell another TV package on that,  Taking a home game from the home team isn't right. Especially, since many cities pay for their teams stadiums.  

A second bye is a must.   With the 17th game and a second bye; that gives the NFL 2 more weeks of football. 

Might as well, expand the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams. 

One thing that is overlooked.... if they expand it to 18 games we might finally get to 11 wins.   :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

No.

17 games with 2 byes and expanded playoff field to 14 teams is the way to go.

Since the NFL insists on overseas games; you will now have a 17th game at a neutral site.  The NFL can even sell another TV package on that,  Taking a home game from the home team isn't right. Especially, since many cities pay for their teams stadiums.  

A second bye is a must.   With the 17th game and a second bye; that gives the NFL 2 more weeks of football. 

Might as well, expand the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams. 

I don't mind this at all. So, would every team play 1 neutral-site game? I suppose you do overseas games, potential new markets, etc. 

It would be cool if some regional games were played in random places. For example, if the Skins played the Ravens...it would be cool to play that in Annapolis or Richmond or something. 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, hatchetwound said:

One thing that is overlooked.... if they expand it to 18 games we might finally get to 11 wins.   :P 

I don't think we've gotten to 10 wins under Jay, have we ?

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think we've gotten to 10 wins under Jay, have we ?

No.

I think the last time the Redskins had 10 wins in a season was 2012, wasn't it?

Posted (edited)

Edited by mbws
Repetition

8 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

No.

I think the last time the Redskins had 10 wins in a season was 2012, wasn't it?

That’s correct. 3-6 to 10-6

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't mind this at all. So, would every team play 1 neutral-site game? I suppose you do overseas games, potential new markets, etc. 

It would be cool if some regional games were played in random places. For example, if the Skins played the Ravens...it would be cool to play that in Annapolis or Richmond or something. 

That 17th game can be regional rivalry.  IE  Skins- Ravens, Cowboys-Texans, etc..  For most teams, they already have a natural regional rival.  Obviously for the handful of teams that don't; you'd have to create one.

Teams with natural regional rivals:

Giants- Jets

Skins- Ravens

Boys- Texans

Eagles- Steelers

Bears- Colts

Lions- Browns

Bucs- Dolphins

Panthers- Jaguars: 95 Expansion Rivals

Falcons- Titans

Rams- Chargers

49ers- Raiders

Seahawks- Broncos

The rest  aren't really natural; so you would have to create rivals. 

Packers

Vikings

Saints

Cardinals

Patriots

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

It seems you were trying to create additional NFC/AFC matchup, but What about former division rivals?

Ex: Arizona used to play NYG, WAS, DAL, PHI
Ex: TItans used to play AFC North
Ex: Tampa Bay Used to play NFC North
Ex: Saints and Falcons used to play NFC West
Ex: Colts used to play AFC West
Ex: (Jaguars used to be in central too I think?)
Ex: Ravens were Browns so that doesn't help them.
Ex: Texans were always in South
Ex: Seattle Used to be in AFC West (KC, DEN, OAK, LAC)

Could create a pod system where teams that used to play former division rivals rotate through them, and then in the year that game isn't available, Would be free for another matchup.

So Like, Arizon could may NYG, WAS, DAL, PHI Home/Away  In back to back years.   New Orleans and Atlanta get a game against San Fran, Rams)  Catch is Ravens are already in former division.  Only team that's moved is Houston, but houston needs games with PIT, CLE/BAL, JAX, CIN

Would they extend the season into the summer or winter?

Maybe expand the draft a another round or two?

They may not need to add more cap if they just roll the 8-person practice squad into the roster.  Although, I’m not sure how the practice squad counts against the cap now.