Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins' what ifs. . .

kfrankie

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

After he had the operation and before it was clear he was finished medically Joey was talking to Gibbs about coming back - Gibbs made it clear Joe was not coming back - he wanted Joe to retire even if he was medically cleared to play.

I read that too. He was chirping about coming back once "healed" but the Redskins told him he was done there and should retire.  I also heard that he had a clause in his broadcasting contract for the first couple years after his retirement where he would be allowed to return to the field if he wanted. Some sort of buyout/ early termination formula or something.

I saw him compete in some sort of NFL quarterback legends challenge thing in the early 90s and he seemed t o be moving around ok.  But I also read that he had to work out an insurance policy a couple years after the injury and couldn't hack it at that point

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

I read that too. He was chirping about coming back once "healed" but the Redskins told him he was done there and should retire.  I also heard that he had a clause in his broadcasting contract for the first couple years after his retirement where he would be allowed to return to the field if he wanted. Some sort of buyout/ early termination formula or something.

I saw him compete in some sort of NFL quarterback legends challenge thing in the early 90s and he seemed t o be moving around ok.  But I also read that he had to work out an insurance policy a couple years after the injury and couldn't hack it at that point

Joey T writes about it in his autobiography as well.

I wish we had an "Owner Draft"

Like... the worst teams in the league (including criteria such as wins/losses, fan experience, cap management, payroll, etc) are put in a draft lottery every 5 years to select from a group of fast rising business people whe have interest in owning a team.

Don't know what the equivalent of "Coach wants to see you, bring your playbook" is for billionaire ****stain owners,  but I'd love to see the look on homie's face were he to arrive at Ashburn HQ and finds that the locks got changed and he's given s stone cold stunner by security and booted off the campus

8 hours ago, c slag said:

What if Dan Turk would have made a better snap for Brad Johnson to hold in the 99 playoff game?

Brett Conway would have missed the FG. IIRC, it was a 50 yarder.

Given that Dan died from cancer a few years later, I wish the scapegoat would have been Conway instead.

8 hours ago, c slag said:

What if Dan Turk would have made a better snap for Brad Johnson to hold in the 99 playoff game?

I thought about that one too...but I keep coming back to the fact that I don't think we could have outscored the Rams that year. By the time we got to the post-season, our D was actually stronger than our O (quite the role-reversal from September/October). Maybe we hold them down enough, but the Rams had a top-5 defense so I think we'd have struggled to get to even 17-20 points in the NFC Championship Game. 

Long way of saying...it would have been cool to see our team take a shot and be one step away from the Super Bowl, but I really don't think we'd have won that game so it wouldn't have too drastically changed much. 

What if in 2005 we took the correct Rogers with the #9 pick?

If we did that, instead of trading up for J.C., we would have kept 2005 #76, 2006 #22 and #119.  With those picks, we could have then drafted the following:
2005 #76 - Evan Mathis
2006 #22 - DeAngelo Williams
2006 #119 - Brandon Marshall

And if that all happens, would we still have Gibbs and avoided Zorn all together?

What if Norv gets fired either during or right after the '98 season? Who is chosen as coach going into '99, tough to say particularly with the fluid ownership situation.

The big one is always what if Marty is brought back to coach in '02? Could there have been a meaningful Schottenheimer era in DC, or would the marriage between him and Dan have been ultimately doomed anyway?

What if Gibbs had been brought back earlier, say anywhere from '99 to '02, instead of '04? Gibbs was basically unfireable due to what he accomplished during his first stint here, and it would've been nice to see what he could've accomplished in, say, 7-8 years instead of 4...….at close to 68 years old, I think he was exhausted again by the end of 2007.

Just curious to see things that could've happened early in Dan's tenure might've colored the perception of his ownership differently. Instead none did, he fired Marty after one season, and it just seems we went through somewhat of a wasted decade (2002-2013) of churn and burn before Dan, with Jay, has kind of gone back to how we were post Gibbs 1.0 with Norv. 

17 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What if Petitbon didn't retire right after his head coaching gig ?

Would he still have remained a great DC for a while ?

Or what if we had done the right thing and fired Casserly instead of Petitbon. All those wasted first round busts...

What if Aikman's Hail Mary in 91 fell incomplete, and the Skins win that game. Gibbs doesn't rest the starters in game 16, and we go undefeated. Given that we set the record for point differential in the playoffs, nobody other than Peter King disputes the 91 Skins as the greatest team of the SB era.

Oh, and if Theismann had broken his leg a couple games earlier, than we make the playoffs in 85.

4 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

If we did that, instead of trading up for J.C., we would have kept 2005 #76, 2006 #22 and #119.  With those picks, we could have then drafted the following:
2005 #76 - Evan Mathis

And if that all happens, would we still have Gibbs and avoided Zorn all together?

If Green Bay then took JC, we'd all be complaining that we took Rogers. In 2005, there were huge red flags on Rogers and much of his success is probably due to the fact he had several years to fix them.  OK, primarily its because I have become so negative...

We sign Warren Moon in 1984.  OK, pretty fantastical as JoeyT was coming off his best year (excepting for the SB) and Moon would have been a likely backup.  The Oilers were about as set to go after him. However, Joe Gibbs was a big supporter of Tampa going after Doug Williams (while a "black" QB was scary) and Moon also looked as physically similar to Gibbs ideal (Dan Fouts) as he was going to get.

On 7/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, Darth Tater said:

Trent Green stays with the Redskins.

Could have picked Culpepper and let him ride pine for a couple of years.  Jevon Kearse was available with Lang starting to look like something, we'd have been excited,  We could have really started building a formidable OL adding Damien Woody though he would have likely been the backup center/guard that year if Gibbs had come back

Often wondered what if with Green!

45 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

That's a fantastic point.  Any reason why he chose not to do that?

Charity and I think he believed that John had enough ownership equity in the team and personal wealth to gain the controlling interest himself.

22 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

What if the Redskins did draft Tom Brady?

He would have 0 superbowl rings!!

Not only no rings but probably never started or at the very least never had a legit chance.  We would have never heard of him and Gisele marries someone else.  

What if Alstott was correctly ruled down?

What if Carlos Rogers didn’t drop that pick?

What if the Skins didn’t go all in on RG3?

What if the Skins had a real GM and promoted McVay to HC?

5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

That's a fantastic point.  Any reason why he chose not to do that?

There robably wasn't enough liquidity in his estate to pay for soecific bequests to charity or others, so assets had to be liquidated which included his interest in the team.  He also probably believed that John had enough assets to purchase the team along with his portion of the estate, but that obviously was not the case because he could not outbid Snyder's group.

21 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

2005 #76 - Evan Mathis

I want to butterfly affect this a bit more.  Lets say the above happened. 

Then during the 2006 preseason, when Portis goes down, we have a talented rookie in Williams and a solid #2 in Betts.  Gibbs\Snyder doesn't panic, we DONT trade a draft pick for T.J. Duckett. (2007 3rd round picks, #70 )

15 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Not only no rings but probably never started or at the very least never had a legit chance.  We would have never heard of him and Gisele marries someone else.  

What if Alstott was correctly ruled down?

What if Carlos Rogers didn’t drop that pick?

Alstott correct ruling? Good chance we'd have been Pittsburgh's SB opponent.

Rogers doesn't drop that pick and we go up 10-0. Probably end up winning 24-10 if we don't mess up that gift from Seattle. Pittsburgh probably gets to play Carolina in the SB.

2008:

Jordy Nelson over Devin Thomas

DeSean Jackson over Fed Davis

There are only 3 guys who went in the second after Kelly that were as bad or worse as Malcolm Kelly statistically speaking.  So, pretty much anyone.  Probably could have signed Kelly as a priority UDFA or thrown out a late round flyer if we just had to have him.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:01 PM, Old Bay said:

What if Gibbs 2.0 never hired Al Saunders.

I like this one...the 2005 offense was clicking somewhat. The biggest factor in the playoff ineptitude was the QB breaking down, not the scheme. I'm not sure exactly how they'd have moved on from Brunell to start 2006, but I think Campbell in Gibbs' 1980s scheme would have been better. 

Archived