Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AJWatson3

Qualifications in the next head coach

i almost feel bad for posting this, but after yesterday's game it seems pretty damn sure that SS is not gonna be able to get it done in this league. the teams preparation was horrendous. SS gameplan (or lack thereof) was trash. the only positive i saw was the fake punt. that is pretty damn sad. oh yeah, zeron caught the ball (and then fumbled it).

anyways. it seems like a majority of the posters are in agreement that SS will not be albe to succesfully coach our team in the NFL. so my question is this:

What kind of coach do you want? A guy with pro experience, college experience? A guy with an offensive background or defensive background? Should he have been a HC or is a coordinator good enough? Old or young, fiery or reserved? Throw out your ideas.

whatever kind of guy we get i want him to be a goddamn professional. i want attention to detail. i want someone who is gonna spend 24 hour days trying to gameplan for the next week. no more of this "awe shucks" crap. one guy i think is ready for the jump: Charlie Weis, OC for NE. he has learned from some of the best HC's (Parcells and Billicheck), and talk about preparation. anyone who has seen NE play offense (with their lack of overall talent) and adjust EVERY SINGLE WEEK to their opponent, knows that Weis is gonna make a damn good coach...

Pro coordinator.

My names?

OC Marc Trestman, Oakland [even though I hate the WCO]

OC Mike Mularkey, Pittsburgh

OC Charlie Weis, New England

DC Romeo Crennel, Buffalo

DC Lovie Smith, St. Louis

-s

Oh and as for Philadelphia DC Jim Johnson or Tampa DC Monte Kiffin, I don't think either one wants an HC job.

-s

Spurrier's problem is that he doesn't want the head coaching responsibilities -- he just wants to play offensive coordinator. Unfortunately, having to pay some tiny amount of attention to the defense and special teams seems to have distracted him from his offensive "genius."

They don't need an offensive genius or a defensive genius. They need an ass-kicker. Someone who will grab a player's facemask and tell him to sit down and shutthe****up -- even if it's your star LB or QB. Did you see Parcell's screaming at his lame QB yesterday? That was the winning QB!

Did you see Spurrier yell at anyone? Nope. I just saw him trying to hide deeper in that parka. The look on his face these days just screams "Pusssy".

I'm trying to think of good reasons to keep Spurrier. Can someone think of any? The best I can come up with is continuity -- and with assistant coaches getting the axe and 30-50% of the roster changing, that ain't gonna happen anyway. I guess you could argue that the core offense (the same one, minus Ramsey, that couldn't score a single point yesterday) will be back next year. Ramsey, Jansen, Samuels, Thomas, Coles, Gardner -- they'll have another year together. Somehow I'm not all that convinced.

i know that weis does. hell, he wants one so bad he got gastric bypass surgery so he didn't look like ralph friedgen. he figured no owner would want a man like that coaching a pro team... but then, jerrah did hire parcells....

an article by MORT:

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2002/0724/1409547.html

Seeking new image, Patriots' Weis nearly loses life

July 24

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis wanted to lose weight, not his life. He wanted to project a different snapshot image for NFL owners who prefer their head coaches to have the "right look." Dead in a coffin wasn't what he had in mind.

"A couple of doctor friends of mine have told me that I'm lucky to be alive after what I went through," said Weis.

Charlie Weis (shown BELOW in a pre-surgery file photo) played a key role in New England's Super Bowl success.

A gastric bypass procedure that Weis elected to have on June 15 resulted in a near-death experience. He was administered last rites by a Catholic priest two days after his surgery as he lay connected to a ventilator in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Weis endured a blood transfusion of seven pints and spent two weeks in the ICU, plus another two weeks at the Rhode Island Rehabilitation Center. He's finally home, but he won't join the defending Super Bowl champions when they open training camp Friday.

Weis can't walk on his own because he has nerve damage in both feet due to the complications. His right foot is worse than the left, and he needs a walker to move around. He endures physical therapy every morning, and while doctors have told him the condition is temporary, he is not expected to walk unrestricted for two or three months.

Weis may join the Patriots late next week, but will only attend meetings at first. He will then do his coaching from a golf cart.

Until then, Patriots coach Bill Belichick will handle much of Weis' duties as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Unfortunately, it is ground that has been covered by Belichick, who stepped in when quarterbacks coach Dick Rehbein died of a heart attack late last summer.

Belichick and Weis already have scripted the first week of practice for the offense. Weis will remain in the loop via a quality control coach who will deliver tapes of early training camp practices to Weis. Weis will continue scripting practice with input from Belichick, who has been very supportive.

"Bill's been good," said Weis. "He's worried about September 9th, not August 9th."

Weis has battled weight problems for many years, but his success as offensive coordinator under Bill Parcells with the New York Jets and Belichick with the Patriots has put him on the coaching map. After the Patriots upset the St. Louis Rams in the Super Bowl, Weis emerged as a candidate for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job that went to Jon Gruden. He knows that these opportunities come and go, and he knows that many owners are looking not only for results but also for the right image.

Thus, he opted to have the gastric bypass, a procedure in which the stomach is reduced to a smaller size. It's a "simple" deal. You eat less on a smaller stomach. You lose weight. You look better.

"I'm not going to deny what my motive was, even though there are obvious long-term health benefits," said Weis. "My thoughts were that if I wanted to be a head coach, I had to lose weight. If that was the obstacle that was going to keep me from being a head coach, then why not do something about it?"

“ I'm not going to deny what my motive was, even though there are obvious long-term health benefits. My thoughts were that if I wanted to be a head coach, I had to lose weight. ”

— Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis

It is a stereotype that needs some discussion among owners. It's not just Weis' imagination. Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen's weight was considered an unspeakable negative as he coveted a head-coaching job at the NFL and collegiate level. Despite his success as a coordinator at both levels, for years he was never mentioned as a serious candidate for a job.

Then, ironically, Friedgen almost got two offers in one year -- the Buccaneers courted him after one season as head coach at Maryland in which he was named the national coach of the year.

One GM explained the problem: "Bottom line, it shouldn't matter. But the head coach is somebody who is always out front with the media in the NFL, and with the alumni and the media in college. Image is part of it, but there are some guys who believe it's a reflection of self-discipline. How can you demand self-control from players when you don't have it yourself? It could be symptomatic of some other issues."

Or it could be just a cosmetic myth.

Weis, 45, was supposed to be hospitalized for just one night after the June 15 surgery. He went home Saturday but was rushed back Sunday because of internal bleeding.

"It was bad," said Weis. "Of course, I don't remember any of it. But the good part is, I still have my mind. No [brain] damage. Walking is the most frustrating part -- that, and getting the energy level I need. Once I get that, I'll be fine. Then it will be no different than a coach with a broken leg."

beforea_weis_i.jpg

Romeo Crennel the Pats D-cordinator should be the pick if it's a cordinator hands down. The guy runs the Pats D without alot of input from Bellichek and calls great games and always shows something different.

I find it laughable that so many people continue to believe that we will ever be successful as long as Snyder continues to run this franchise in the fashion that he is right now.