Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Does It Mean To Say A Team 'Quit'?

TennesseeCarl

I'm sure everyone's heard that term - 'quit' - before. Most times I've used it in reference to the Redskins, folks argue bitterly about whether or not the team quit on the field.

But what does it mean. I realize we've never seen a team simply walk off the field (yet).

At what point does the lack of effort...the lack of coaching moves...signal that a team has quit?

I felt that the coaching staff quit in the second half. It was obvious that Hasselbeck wasn't going to do anything, yet we didn't even give Hamdan a look. We didn't seem able to change our offensive play calling (our running game uses more draws than any team I've ever seen).

The run defense either quit out there or Troy Hambrick is one of the greatest running backs in the NFL. I'm guessing it's the former.

Did the team quit? Which players just stopped? Or are the Cowboys just that much better than we are?

I don't have any answers. :doh:

I think the D for the most part in the 2nd half was just exhausted -- there was definitely some loafing to be seen, but for the most part they just got pounded. Having a totally inept offense makes stopping people seem pretty worthless...

-s

I also think (especially defensively) when meaningless games start going badly, individuals play as individuals and not as a team and that leads to some UGLY plays.

For example, if it is a DT's responsibility to occupy a gap on a given play he may do that for the majority of the game. However, if the score is 20-0 and the team is on their way to 5-9, he may decide to try to shed a blocker and make a big hit or something. That will lead to a breakdown all the way to where Hambrick gets a long run or something.

That was just a generic example. I obviously have no way of knowing if that happened, but I think it could explain some of the plays where it looks like we're "quitting" out there.

the Giants have quit on the season. that to me is obvious. Fassel is on the way out and a lot of players realize there is going to be a roster shakeup in the offseason so they are not going to kill themselves the last few games and risk getting hurt.

I don't think the Redskins have quit as much as they showed yesterday they are not as mentally tough as a Parcells' coached team.

As Coles and others said, the Cowboys seemed to have the Skins plays diagnosed before they were run. They knew the tendencies and what was going to be done and when.

On the other side, Quincy Carter managed to use the quarterback draw and bootleg to effect for the 3rd or 4th game against the Skins in his relatively short career.

The Redskins were not ready for it. As usual.

One thread that runs through what teams have done this year against the Skins defense:

THEY KNOW IF THEY KEEP AT IT THAT ARRINGTON AND TROTTER WILL SELL THE SCHEME OUT AND FREELANCE TO BE CAUGHT OUT OF POSITION FOR BIG PLAYS.

It has been that way the past 2 years.

Only Lewis was smart enough to put Arrington in one spot and keep him there to minimize the adverse effects of his free lancing.

Hambrick was averaging 3.2 yards per carry before yesterday and then he gets 189? :laugh: :laugh:

as Gary Clark said on the Comcast postgame show, the defensive line simply failed to show up at all.

from the first drive these guys were on their heels, and against a Cowboys line that Parcells admitted was having some problems.

but then again, everyone gets healthy against the Redskins.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

But what does it mean. I realize we've never seen a team simply walk off the field (yet).

What it means to me is, the players realise that there is nothing left to play for and they see no way that they can win a game. This is what the Redskins looked like for the most part. The defense, with the exeption of the line was playing a great game.

Yes the defense was tired, of course when you're on the field for over 40 minutes of a 60 minute game, that happens. The offense had a good running game going, and once again, the Ol' Ball Coach decides to chunk the ball around to force turnovers.

I can see now, with the fact that Spurrier will be back again next year, we'll be watching other teams in the playoffs next season too.

Archived