Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Weight discrimination is rampant. Yet in most places it’s still legal.

Springfield

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

How does the sodium compare to that the alternative unhealthy food people are eating?  And what about the canned vegetables from somewhere that isn't the Dollar Tree? (granted I don't know what kind of grocer is actually available in "food deserts", if we're assuming that to be part of the issue)

I'm certainly not arguing that one should pick canned over frozen.  Frozen tends to be more palatable to my taste.  The question, though, is whether there are healthier things people can eat without breaking the bank, and canned vegetables seems like a reasonable place to try to get some nutrients.

Good questions.  

You can get organic chickpeas from Goya at walmart, but that food desert thing is real, with some rural walmarts closing and dollar stores filling the void.  Remember reading about that a minute ago, but apparently Dollar General is starting to introduce fresh produce.  I have no idea how that's going to work given such a small customer base in very rural areas and the propensity to throw away food that still edible just because its been sitting out on display for too long (having worked produce for Food Lion back in the day, that's very real, too).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/dollar-general-is-taking-over-rural-america-and-it-should-terrify-walmart/ar-BBQwvk8

There's only so much you can find in a Dollar Store, like I rarely saw the wheat or veggie based pasta there, that's something you'd find in a larger store that can fit that many options.  

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Good questions.  

You can get organic chickpeas from Goya at walmart, but that food desert thing is real, with some rural walmarts closing and dollar stores filling the void.  Remember reading about that a minute ago, but apparently Dollar General is starting to introduce fresh produce.  I have no idea how that's going to work given such a small customer base in very rural areas and the propensity to throw away food that still edible just because its been sitting out on display for too long (having worked produce for Food Lion back in the day, that's very real, too).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/dollar-general-is-taking-over-rural-america-and-it-should-terrify-walmart/ar-BBQwvk8

There's only so much you can find in a Dollar Store, like I rarely saw the wheat or veggie based pasta there, that's something you'd find in a larger store that can fit that many options.  

Yeah, you ain't lying about Dollar General.  I have family in Western PA and that seems to be the go-to store.  Walmart is a bit more of a hike, so that's more for special occasions.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I know....but I couldn't resist 🙂❤️

Ok, so 

It's based on "protected classes" which have legislation/SCOTUS roots. 

Scouts - I don't know if you heard, but boy scouts now allow girls. Many have screamed that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts just need to combine and be "Scouts". 

Hooters - I'll get into how they get around the hot waitress part later. But also keep in mind that the back of the house staff (kitchen, bussers, dishwashers) are almost all male.

Now on to how do strip clubs, Hooters, etc get around it. Multiple ways

1 - a lot of strippers are "independent contractors" not employees, so they are not subjected to the same discrimination laws

2 - if the "job requires" a certain aesthetic/body and it can be documented, the company is able to "discriminate". For example, "ability to lift 50 lbs", or "present a pleasing appearance to appeal to clientele".

3 - general understanding that a male or a 600 lb woman.....should "know better" than to apply

And my favorite HR catchphrase - You can fire/not hire for NO reason, you just can't do it for an ILLEGAL reason. 

Hooters had a long fight with the EEOC over this going back to the mid 90s, correct?  

https://www.fisherphillips.com/resources-newsletters-article-eeoc-settles-beef-with-restaurant

The recent litigation against Lawry's and Hooters is a cautionary tale for employers. Hiring practices which select individuals based on a protected characteristic, such as gender, are closely scrutinized by the EEOC, the courts, and the public. Only in very limited, narrow circumstances can a company justify a discriminatory hiring practice. The ability to market a company's image through employees' physical appearances is generally not going to satisfy the bona fide occupational qualification defense and resulting litigation can tarnish the company's reputation and put a sizable dent in the corporate bank accounts.

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've thought about this before.  Part of me wonders the same as you.  But when I see a large woman at Wal-mart with 4 portly kids with a shopping cart full of Mountain Dew and other junk food another part of me wonders if they'd really care to eat anything healthy in the first place.

I believe @Bang is largely right.  I agree that there's a portion of people that really can't do anything about it.  But part of our downfall, IMO, is the lack of accepting responsibility.  People don't want to lose weight because it's hard, it's uncomfortable...yet they want to be a protected class.  We're not just soft around the middle.

Few things are overcome alone, weight is not treated as an issue that requires personalized assistance. People go to the dr, get atrocious advice, don’t see improvement, & quickly revert back to things that are comfortable... like food. Humans are entirely too isolated ... that isolation leads to behaviors centered around ease of gratification and/or numbing. 

11 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Maybe it’s really just a capitalism thing.  Lots of money to be made fattening people up and nearly as much to be made helping them drop the weight.

Not much profit potential in guys like me that stay fairly active and settle into “Dad Bod Excellence”* for the duration.

*you know it when you see it

Lots of money to be made keeping people depressed. From TV, to McDonald’s, to eBay, to pharmaceuticals, to the liquor store ... it’s all reliant on depression.

4 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I think the idea of canning is that everything is sanitized and sealed and thus doesn't need any preservatives.  A quick search showed that some do use preservatives for flavor reasons, and also not all preservatives are bad, giving the examples of Salt and Vitamin C (granted salt should be taken with more moderation than we currently give it, but the likely alternative to canned vegetables likely has more salt anyways*)

*pure conjecture.

Incidentally, the health truthers gave sodium an undeservedly bad name. #MakeSodiumGreatAgain - we need it. 

9 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Their food sucks. Same goes with Tilted Kilt. Why nobody can make even halfway decent food combined with hot cleavage is beyond me...

22 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

My food is even more than "halfway decent".

@TheGreatBuzz here's a great opp to redeem yourself 😛

Yea I got no clue why no one can make decent food combined with hot cleavage. 

33 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

My food is even more than "halfway decent".

@TheGreatBuzz here's a great opp to redeem yourself 😛

For the record, I was referring to commercial establishments. Though I have never met you, I am confident from the content of your posts that any cuisine you prepare would be quite good...and I would compliment you on the other thing(s) but I worry that Buzz might track me down and kill me.

46 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

For the record, I was referring to commercial establishments. Though I have never met you, I am confident from the content of your posts that any cuisine you prepare would be quite good...and I would compliment you on the other thing(s) but I worry that Buzz might track me down and kill me.

Nah, you're good.  Somebody's got to compliment her and I suck at it.  :cheers:

@thegreaterbuzzette love ya!  :kiss-smileys:

23 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

There are definitely some major socio-economic factors at play. Like why does low value high calorie/fats food dominate american supermarkets and cost the consumer less than other healthy foods? How can low income families afford to buy these healthier options?

This is a common misconception and just not true.

57 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is a common misconception and just not true.

It’s a point that gets conflated a bit, the issue is ready made food is largely unhealthy. If you are exhausted or don’t have the time to cook, you have few healthy options. If you are on a budget, the cheapest foods you can pick up, that are prepared for you, are unhealthy. 

A large problem is food advertisements are often directed at children. Every human has a basic desire to feel needed, parents... particularly single parents, give in to their children more than they’d like because the only way they recognize that their efforts bring any joy is when their kids jump up and down for McDonald’s/etc. When that bit of validation is the only thing in your life that can elicit that positive chemical reaction in the brain, you’re typically going to succumb to it & tell yourself that you’ll be tougher tomorrow. 

The difference between children & adults is not particularly substantial. Animals in outer space aren’t particularly complex.

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It’s a point that gets conflated a bit, the issue is ready made food is largely unhealthy. If you are exhausted or don’t have the time to cook, you have few healthy options. If you are on a budget, the cheapest foods you can pick up, that are prepared for you, are unhealthy. 

You can get fully cooked rotiserie chickens at any grocery store for $5 and that is more than enough to feed a family of like 2, 3, possibly 4 people.  Then get a can of beans or some veggies you can heat up in like 3 minutes on a stove top.  That is far cheaper than getting fast food or something for a family of the equivalent.

"Not having time to cook" is nothing but an excuse.  I cook pork a few times during the week and it takes 3-4 minutes to cook on a skillet.

And if you don't even want to bother with that, you can bake chicken in an oven. Sure it takes like an hour to actually cook, but it's effortless.  You just put it in a casserole dish with some seasoning on it and let it cook, turning it once.

It just boils down to people are inherently lazy as ****.  I see it every day.  Hell even at the gym I see lazy asses who can't be bothered to put their weights back.  We're just a society of lazy fat ****s.

I find it amusing that you see all these fat people worrying about dressing fancy and spending money on fancy clothes, but the one thing they have the most control over with their looks is their weight, which in turn is also their health, and yet they completely want to ignore it.

Protected classes are things that people don't have any control over (race, color, nation of origin, sex, age and disability), plus veteran status and religion.  #1, I don't think weight fits very well into that scheme because people do have control over it, even if not total control and #2, the listed things are all characteristics that have historically been subjected to A LOT of discrimination and also haven't had the ability to protect themselves through the normal processes (legal and political).  Neither of those things apply to obesity, particularly given that the vast majority of American adults are overweight.  

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

You can get fully cooked rotiserie chickens at any grocery store for $5 and that is more than enough to feed a family of like 2, 3, possibly 4 people.  Then get a can of beans or some veggies you can heat up in like 3 minutes on a stove top.  That is far cheaper than getting fast food or something for a family of the equivalent.

"Not having time to cook" is nothing but an excuse.  I cook pork a few times during the week and it takes 3-4 minutes to cook on a skillet.

And if you don't even want to bother with that, you can bake chicken in an oven. Sure it takes like an hour to actually cook, but it's effortless.  You just put it in a casserole dish with some seasoning on it and let it cook, turning it once.

It just boils down to people are inherently lazy as ****.  I see it every day.  Hell even at the gym I see lazy asses who can't be bothered to put their weights back.  We're just a society of lazy fat ****s.

This is really narrow thinking, you're just projecting the fat lazy people onto everyone.

Skillets cost money, ovens cost money, stoves cost money, gas costs money, utensils cost money, water costs money, napkins cost money. McDonalds provides everything for you. You don't need napkins, utensils, condiments, you don't need to pay your water bill, don't need a bathroom etc. 

You're also just ignoring our entire food industry as if marketing and sales have absolutely nothing to do with American spending habits and perception. 

Healthy = More Expensive. Its part of what I do for a living. Items at the grocery stores are priced based on how they're categorized, not just based on a cost margin. 

e.g.

Apple = 25% Margin

Organic Apple = 35% Margin

Vegan/GlutenFree/Organic/Local Apple = 50% Margin

Now, you or people in this thread may know that the Organic Apple isn't necessarily healthier then the conventional, you probably know that Vegan or Gluten-Free don't mean healthy either, but that's how its sold. Its marketed and sold as healthy = more expensive. 

Shopping healthy in 2019 is a marketing trend. Its a direct reflection of how wealthy you are because you can afford to have choices. 

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

This is really narrow thinking, you're just projecting the fat lazy people onto everyone.

Skillets cost money, ovens cost money, stoves cost money, gas costs money, utensils cost money, water costs money, napkins cost money. McDonalds provides everything for you. You don't need napkins, utensils, condiments, you don't need to pay your water bill, don't need a bathroom etc. 

You're also just ignoring our entire food industry as if marketing and sales have absolutely nothing to do with American spending habits and perception. 

Healthy = More Expensive. Its part of what I do for a living. Items at the grocery stores are priced based on how they're categorized, not just based on a cost margin. 

e.g.

Apple = 25% Margin

Now, you or people in this thread may know that the Organic Apple isn't necessarily healthier then the conventional, you probably know that Vegan or Gluten-Free don't mean healthy either, but that's how its sold. Its marketed and sold as healthy = more expensive. 

Shopping healthy in 2019 is a marketing trend. Its a direct reflection of how wealthy you are because you can afford to have choices. 

I mean I'd be willing to get that 99% of the people who eat fast food have the means to cook at their home and already have skillets, ovens, etc, since pretty much everyone has access to one unless they are homeless.

Now you are blaming marketing?  LOL okay.

How about people take personal responsibility for taking care of themselves?

I know, I know.  Tough concept to grasp.

Again, it boils down to people being lazy.  They are too lazy to learn how to eat healthy and not break the bank. People would rather be lazy and unhealthy.  Look at society there is a reason that there is an obesity problem when there is the entire internet out there full of information on how to eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle.  Back in the day, before the obesity problem, that wasn't even a possibility.  But people are too lazy to educate themselves.

Again, it's very easy to spend less on healthy meals than it is on junk food meals, but people don't want to do that.  I mean look at a grocery store.  The perimeter is basically the only "healthy" food.  The entire interior is pretty much processed crap.

And I'm not saying I don't eat any of that myself either, but it's not the majority of what I eat, and it's in moderation.  

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

e.g.

Apple = 25% Margin

Doctors cost money

Prescriptions cost money

Being dead and family having one less income cost money

You are arguing now costs versus onetime costs.

Dollar store will sell you 50 plates, plastic ware, and most kitchen supplies for......wait for it......$1!!!!

And you can use over and over again. 

You can't blame it all on food deserts and being poor......when rich people with 5 stores within a .5mile walk are also extremely obese. 

There is no one size fits all cause....but that means there is no one size fits all solution.

8 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

WALK?  What is this, the dark ages?

urban folks are big on walking these days and down on cars.  I've heard people complaining, on several occasions, that urban areas should stop accommodating drivers entirely so that they can finally create truly pedestrian friendly spaces.  Roads are ugly, take up space, and kill the planet.  I assume these people imagine the stores they wish to surround with gardens and adorable walkways will be stocked via helicopter. 

32 minutes ago, purbeast said:

How about people take personal responsibility for taking care of themselves?

I know, I know.  Tough concept to grasp.

You know fully well people don't take care of themselves.

Its not difficult to grasp. 

As you note, you see it every day. 

Archived