Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

this was not what i was expecting...

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/iran-us-drone-shot-down-latest-intl/index.html

President Trump said Thursday that he believes Iran mistakenly shot down the US drone, saying he finds it "hard to believe it was intentional."

"Probably Iran made a mistake. I would imagine it was a general or somebody who made a mistake in shooting that drone down," Trump said.

"I find it hard to believe it was intentional. I think it could've been somebody that was loose and stupid," Trump said. "It was a very foolish move, that I can tell you."

Trump assured that the situation is "all going to work out."

The President also said that it made a "big, big difference" that the drone — which by definition is unmanned — had "nobody in" it.

The only problem is his entire history of saying something, but it not meaning anything... he could tweet in an hour that he just launched missiles at Iran and i wouldn't be surprised at all.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The only real withdrawl of troops (for a long time) was with Iraq and that was an agreement put in place by Bush before Obama took office.  I may be remembering that incorrectly though...

I grind my teeth whenever I see this. I was there and involved at levels in the know. The Obama administration screwed that up three ways to Sunday.  Won't go into it yet again as it is not the subject of this thread.

Edited by nonniey

2 hours ago, tshile said:

he could tweet in an hour that he just launched missiles at Iran and i wouldn't be surprised at all.

He'll probably announce the attack a week before it's scheduled.  

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Admiring that our reaction to problems with Iran is to send Bolton to go talk to Israel.  

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Wars are bad for the economy? Eh....not so sure. They cost a lot, which in turn means all those weapons and bombs being used need to be replenished.  The production of more weapons of mass destruction will drive the economy.  Didn't Bush' "War economy" mask the overall stagnant economy for awhile?  I know there was a lot of manipulation with the books back during that time. 

Wars are generally bad for the economy because they create uncertainty, which makes people and companies hesitant to spend money so unless government spending is going to offset that, they aren't worth it (Something WW2 being an exception because people weren't spending much money anyway and the government spent a ton of money).

Replacing weapons doesn't happen fast enough to really create much economic growth, and it is pretty much dead end growth (i.e. the multiplier for the spending is low).

https://www.thebalance.com/cost-of-iraq-war-timeline-economic-impact-3306301

"There's also the opportunity cost in terms of job creation. Every $1 billion spent on defense creates 8,555 jobs and adds $565 million to the economy. That same $1 billion in tax cuts stimulates enough demand to create 10,779 jobs. That puts $505 million into the economy as retail sales. The same $1 billion spent on education adds $1.3 billion to the economy and creates 17,687 jobs. "  

The GOP has shown they don't really care about the debt.  If Trump is looking to boost the economy, there are clearly better ways to do it.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Trump softens his stance on Iran.

Putin condemns strike on Iran.

🤔

It's also important to remember that Donald Trump is a complete coward. When it comes to confronting anyone he doesn't feel like he can easily walk all over from the get-go  he backs down really fast or just avoids the confrontation altogether. He's too much of a **** to even fire people face to face in real life...he gets other people to do it. And when the other people refuse to do it he backs down. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tshile said:

this was not what i was expecting...

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/iran-us-drone-shot-down-latest-intl/index.html

The only problem is his entire history of saying something, but it not meaning anything... he could tweet in an hour that he just launched missiles at Iran and i wouldn't be surprised at all.

Going back to my other post, completely what I expected.  He doesn't want a war so he doesn't want to escalate.  He's looking to down play things as much as possible.

The tanker attack wasn't a big deal.  Iran hit a drone (and it seems likely coordinated other attacks).

The drone attack was an accident.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Iran do something else now.  I think Iran is testing him.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

It's also important to remember that Donald Trump is a complete coward. When it comes to confronting anyone he doesn't feel like he can easily walk all over from the get-go  he backs down really fast or just avoids the confrontation altogether. He's too much of a **** to even fire people face to face in real life...he gets other people to do it. And when the other people refuse to do it he backs down. 

He's a bully.

Talks tough, but when called on it doesn't want to act.

Iran might see how far they can push him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In terms of war Presidents, LBJ didn't even run and Nixon's secret plan to win it was a big party of his victory.

I also think, things are different now then in the past because we've had the continual war.  We're already at a point that people are frustrated with the war.

Trump ran on ending the wars.  Not broadening them.

(Trump is the equivalent to Nixon in terms of war Presidents.  By the time for re-election came around, Nixon was (drastically) drawing down US troops in Vietnam.  Not starting another war (the bombing of Cambodia happened earlier).)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If Iran attacked Kuwait or Saudi Arabia directly, I wonder what he'd do.

He'd have absolutely no clue what to do. I'm betting he'd tell someone else to make a decision for him. Then if the decision turned out to be popular or strategically sound he'd take credit. If it turned out to be unpopular or it backfired he'd immediately throw whoever actually made the decision under the bus and claim he had little to nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

If Iran attacked Kuwait or Saudi Arabia directly, I wonder what he'd do.

If he was smart, he'd build a MENA coalition (Egypt, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, etc would love to use their fancy weapons to attack a Shia country)....it would be a huge mistake for Iran to do that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Going back to my other post, completely what I expected.  He doesn't want a war so he doesn't want to escalate.  He's looking to down play things as much as possible.

The tanker attack wasn't a big deal.  Iran hit a drone (and it seems likely coordinated other attacks).

The drone attack was an accident.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Iran do something else now.  I think Iran is testing him.

He's a bully.

Talks tough, but when called on it doesn't want to act.

Iran might see how far they can push him.

They are going to push him more. They are very aware that he does not want to go to war and that he's a wimp or coward. He has no idea how to handle real confrontation. Only knows how to tweet and act like a bully to a supportive crowd.  Iran's problem and the wild card is Bolton though.