Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

knoxnews: Knox County DA 'looking into' detective's church sermon calling for execution of LGBTQ people

Cooked Crack

The Knox County Attorney General's Office said it is looking into a church sermon by a Knox County Sheriff's detective that called for the government to arrest and execute LGBTQ community members.

In the hourlong sermon based on an Old Testament passage, Detective Grayson Fritts, also a pastor at All Scripture Baptist Church in Knoxville, told his congregation June 2 that he believes that federal, state and county governments should arrest, try, convict and "speedily" execute people within the LGBTQ community on no more grounds than a cell phone photo of a person participating in a Pride event.

Sheriff Tom Spangler issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, after the Knoxville News Sentinel first reported about the Fritts' sermon, that Fritts had asked two weeks ago to take a county buyout offer. Spangler said he agreed, and Fritts is on paid sick leave until it takes effect July 19.

All Scripture Baptist Church describes itself as an "independent, fundamental, King James Bible only, soul-winning church," on its website. "Don’t expect anything liberal, watered down, or contemporary here," it goes on to say.

At points during a video of the sermon reviewed by the Knoxville News Sentinel, Fritts screams into the microphone, advocates for police riot teams to haul off Pride participants en masse and uses multiple slurs against the LGBTQ community.

He also targeted Christians and others who support the LGBTQ community.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2019/06/12/knox-county-detective-calls-execution-lgbtq-people/1419137001/

I'm sure no one in the church even batted an eye.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

What is worse?

1) that this waste of oxygen feels this way

2) that he saw no issues spewing this speech knowing he held a law enforcement position

3) that you KNOW this wasn't the 1st time he has made these thoughts known.....and he was allowed a badge.

Gross!

You missed:

4) People in the pews that agree with him and might do something about it.

31 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Dang, hopefully Mayor Kane can take care of this situation. 

He's really the mayor of Knox County for those who don't know 🤫

Actually looked it up. This isn't under his purview. Unless Kane wants to take it matters into his own hand. Maybe have the lights in the church go off and when they come back the Undertaker is waiting for this turd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_County,_Tennessee#Government

Egad....

Show me a hardcore fundamentalist evangelical, and I will show you someone who has never read the Old Testament (other than a few spoon-fed passages to re-enforce a biased view).

Lesbianism is not forbidden. The only mention of women who lie with other women is that they may not serve as archers in the army.

Yes, one passage proscribed a death sentence for gay sex, but there was also the same punishment for adultery, a woman found not to be a virgin on her wedding night, and a child who curses his parents.  Funny how these same nutjobs don't want to turn back the clock for those. Similarly, the unborn are not considered equal to a human life - if one killed a person he was himself to be put to death, but if one beat a pregnant woman so that she lost the fetus, he merely had to pay a fine. So God might be opposed to abortion, but not to the degree Christians claim. Doesn't seem to dissuade some of these kooks from shooting Doctors....

1 hour ago, China said:

What are the chances that he is himself gay and is so angry and confused at himself this is how he lashes out?

He mentions Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. 100%

Surprised he actually refers to Trump as Donald Chump. I mean if Trump wants to be an authoritarian, I will let him in this one instance. 

7 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This dude is 100% a self-hating gay man. That level of anger only comes from feelings of personal guilt and shame. 

I'd suggest we all really should  stop using this argument. It's an overused trope that seems to be used to actually demean gay people (because it labels them as self hating closeted people).

Personally, I'll just accept that the guy is a giant douchebag and leave it at that.

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd suggest we all really should  stop using this argument. It's an overused trope that seems to be used to actually demean gay people (because it labels them as self hating closeted people).

Personally, I'll just accept that the guy is a giant douchebag and leave it at that.

Its an overused trope because often it is true. I think homophobia should be studied more, but there is already research that shows a strong link between homophobia and suppression of homosexuality. Self-loathing gay people is enough of a phenomena that it has been picked up in multiple research studies by reputable researchers.

It is a very real thing and pointing it out is only demeaning if we think acknowledging a real world issue is of less use than letting people suffer serious identity issues. In the worst case scenario you get people Ike Omar Mateen, and in my opinion, this pastor. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/why-orlando-shooter-fired

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/homophobic-maybe-youre-gay.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

8 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I agree but still reserve to use this line when talking about Mike Pence.

The twisted thing is, the Bible doesn't reference homosexuality, there is a mis-translation (arguably intentional) of Leviticus that replaced the Greek words arsenokoitai and malakos with homosexual which scholars understand are in no way accurate.

http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/word-homosexual-first-introduced-bible/

But who ever really expected any of these fools to actually read the Bible when it makes such a good bludgeon

34 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Why should taxpayers have to have their money spent on a buyout for this guy.   He should be fired and get no money.

Also, he's been on "sick leave."  The county should investigate whether he's misusing the leave system and - if so - make him repay that money.

12 hours ago, Dan T. said:

That is a dangerous man. 

But maybe not with a gun in his hand. Take some comfort that apparently he can't shoot straight:

Detective Grayson Fritts fired, missed twice in confrontations

In September 2003, Fritts was one of six officers who opened fire at a suicidal man during a "suicide by cop" encounter, according to court records and Knoxville News Sentinel archives. The man was superficially wounded by one bullet, while the rest of the 28 rounds fired, including six by Fritts, missed the man.

In November, 2009, Fritts was off duty and working private security when he fired twice at a man trying to flee in a car from a Kroger parking lot in Farragut after shoplifting, according to court to a sheriff's office report and Knoxville News Sentinel archives. Fritts missed both times from close range, and the driver sped away, but was later arrested.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2019/06/12/knox-county-sheriffs-office-detective-grayson-fritts-personnel-record/1438587001/

Archived