Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The current status of the Redskins o-line.

bakedtater1

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Current status of our O-Line, after facing our own D-Line in camp ?

That will do one of 2 things to them :

Either demoralize them, or sharpen them like iron.

Either make or break them.

I’m mainly concerned about 3 things regarding the line - Trent returning, the cohesion on the left side if he doesn’t return, and injuries.  

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m mainly concerned about 3 things regarding the line - Trent returning, the cohesion on the left side if he doesn’t return, and injuries.  

The injury part is kind of a given... TW isn't coming back, so just need to find the LG to work with Penn.

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The opening guard depth chart is scary.  It's Scherff and 4-5 nondescript dudes scuffling to earn the opportunity to get pushed back into the QB.  

They will find a starter out of that group. You cant have a Pro Bowler at every position. And OL performance has A LOT to do with how player work together as a group. They will find a guy to work with Penn.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

They will find a starter out of that group. You cant have a Pro Bowler at every position. And OL performance has A LOT to do with how player work together as a group. They will find a guy to work with Penn.

Who said anything about a Pro Bowler at every position?  How about just a guy that we're not looking to replace every year.

The fact is, "find a guy" hasnt really worked out that great.  Our guard find a guy strategy is why we're in this mess to begin with.  

I suspect that $20mil in Alex Smith we still have on the books this year is why we didnt have the resources to acquire better options there. 

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Who said anything about a Pro Bowler at every position?  How about just a guy that we're not looking to replace every year.

The fact is, "find a guy" hasnt really worked out that great.  Our guard find a guy strategy is why we're in this mess to begin with.  

I suspect that $20mil in Alex Smith we still have on the books this year is why we didnt have the resources to acquire better options there. 

We have drafted 7 interior lineman in the past 6 drafts. Including a top 5 pick. And 2 this year. They have tried to fix it. 

45 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We have drafted 7 interior lineman in the past 6 drafts. Including a top 5 pick. And 2 this year. They have tried to fix it. 

But the thing is, they havent.  Drafting linemen, and drafting linemen high enough to make an impact are two different things.  You cant draft 6 QBs in rounds 5-7 and then tell everyone "See, we TRIED to find our franchise QB".  Its also one thing to draft the top G available in the 3rd round.  Its another to draft the 11th out of 15 guards drafted in the 3rd because you waited way too long after a run.

The one year we drafted an interior linemen before we drafted yet another RB we got a starter.  We lead the league in spending draft stock on RBs, maybe when we stop we can have a line for them to run behind.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Pick up LG Alex Lewis that the Ravens just released. Has an injury bug but just passed his physical and started 10 games last year. Drafted in the 4th round in 2016.

Exactly what I was going to say.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Pick up LG Alex Lewis that the Ravens just released. Has an injury bug but just passed his physical and started 10 games last year. Drafted in the 4th round in 2016.

Makes sense from a Redskins need perspective.  But, he sounds like the kind of player that would just add to the complaints of picking up guys with high likelihood of being unable to stay on the field due to injuries.  I hear the Ravens badly need OL help, though cut him because he was set to make $2 million, but did not approach his rehab very seriously.

Peregrine, we're still recovering a bit from our distatrous qb moves. I know rg3 was a while ago but we are potentially missing cornerstone pieces on this team from that trade. 

The Alex Smith trade is nearly as bad as we crippled our team in regard to cap, are still without a qb, lost a draft pick, and a solid defensive piece. 

So with our roster virtually void of standout talent and needs everywhere, we have taken the defensive approach to fix the team. 

So far we have been successful. 

In next year's draft we can focus on upgrading the offense, specifically the offensive line. 

Personally I would have skipped on haskins this year and started building an offensive foundation, saving qb for next year, but that is not the route we took. 

We will see how it plays out. 

Have heard very little about Piers through camp, which is surprising, because these 2 say Piers is in the lead for the starting LG spot.

Training Camp Battles: Who's starting at left guard?

In this Long Fence Training Battle, JP Finlay and Pete Hailey discuss whose stock is rising and falling for the Redskins at left guard

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/training-camp-battles-whos-starting-redskins-left-guard

If there's any question to the greatness of Bill Callahan, here's yet another example.

Ty Nsekhe credits Callahan for turning his career around. Pretty much, thanks to Bill, Ty makes $7 Million/year.

Our 2 OL draft picks are in excellent hands.

Topic starts at 1:48

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-tackle-ty-nsekhe-shares-his-unconventional-journey-to-the-nfl

Thanks for sharing that clip. So happy for Ty. Dude kept at it, and he deserves it. Callahan is no joke when it comes to developing talent. That's a real coach. And other players around the league know it. It's why Flowers signed with us. Kid came into the league young and raw, and hadn't had a solid, stable OL coach until now. Anyway, way to go Ty and I wish him all the best in Buffalo. He's another reason why the Bills ain't pressed about Waddle's injury.

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If there's any question to the greatness of Bill Callahan, here's yet another example.

Ty Nsekhe credits Callahan for turning his career around. Pretty much, thanks to Bill, Ty makes $7 Million/year.

Our 2 OL draft picks are in excellent hands.

Topic starts at 1:48

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-tackle-ty-nsekhe-shares-his-unconventional-journey-to-the-nfl

First time in a while that I can remember someone saying something positive about the redskins after leaving. 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, Peregrine said:

But the thing is, they havent.  Drafting linemen, and drafting linemen high enough to make an impact are two different things.  You cant draft 6 QBs in rounds 5-7 and then tell everyone "See, we TRIED to find our franchise QB".  Its also one thing to draft the top G available in the 3rd round.  Its another to draft the 11th out of 15 guards drafted in the 3rd because you waited way too long after a run.

The one year we drafted an interior linemen before we drafted yet another RB we got a starter.  We lead the league in spending draft stock on RBs, maybe when we stop we can have a line for them to run behind.

Of the interior OL we have drafted in that time, three are starters in the NFL, one is a backup, two are rookies and only one is out of the league.  Last year between out picking Guice and Christian two OL were selected, 0 were interior linemen.  In 2017 between when we selected Perine and Roullier only one of the OL picked, Sam Tevi seems to have taken off and he's playing tackle

In addition to developing players, it seems like we're also getting much better at drafting OL.

Remember names like Adam Gettis, Josh LeRibeus, Arie Kouandijo, Maurice Hurt, Selvish Capers. Erik Cook, Chad Rinehart, Kili Lefotu, Derrick Dockery, Reggie Coleman, Michael Moore ? I bet a lot of those names people won't even recognize, which further proves the point.

Of course, it will take more time to tell how much better we've gotten, but there's a lot of indications Martin and Piers will be good, along with the other

recent picks of Moses, Scherff, Rouiller.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

In addition to developing players, it seems like we're also getting much better at drafting OL.

Remember names like Adam Gettis, Josh LeRibeus, Arie Kouandijo, Maurice Hurt, Selvish Capers. Erik Cook, Chad Rinehart, Kili Lefotu, Derrick Dockery, Reggie Coleman, Michael Moore ? I bet a lot of those names people won't even recognize, which further proves the point.

Of course, it will take more time to tell how much better we've gotten, but there's a lot of indications Martin and Piers will be good, along with the other

recent picks of Moses, Scherff, Rouiller.

Gettis and Leribeus are still in the league, Rinehart and Dockery had solid careers

17 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The reports on Martin have been really good over the past couple of days. He seems to be finding his grove as camp comes to a close. he is your LG starter. 

I watched that JP Finley video and its Finley’s stock that is going down, not our lineman. I get that NBC has to put something out there but I’m not getting why they think Piersbacher is the one who’s stock is rising: implying he should be the starter. Piersbacher is third string and hasn’t elevated his play much to even get consideration for 2nd and 1st string reps. I had higher hopes for him but we still have 3 weeks of TC to go. Chase Roullier has come back for only this past week and he’s been struggling too. The center position will need a couple more weeks. 

Wes Martin was getting a ton of 1st string reps until Penn was signed and Christian returned. Now he’s 2nd string and is doing average where he was losing quite a bit when he was playing with the 1’s during the 1st week. However, both he and Flowers had improved significantly in the 2nd week. Martin seems to be a better guard during 11 v 11 than he is in the one-on-ones. But those drills are almost exclusively a pass-pro drill. Martin does need to improve his feet and leverage but he’s also going against Allen, Ionidis, Payne, Settle, etc. Good news is he’s improving quickly. I’m anxious to see him go against Cleveland.  

I think my most pleasant  surprise this past week has been the play of Geron Christian. Most coverage I read is that he’s vastly improved. And Flowers seems to have settled in at LG. So, what I’ve been reading and witnessing in clips is that these supposedly weak pieces have been improving, not declining like JP Finley is reporting. 

But for goodness sake, we’ve only had 2 full weeks of training camp. 

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Skins management really screwed up by not keeping Ty.  If the owner can buy a new yacht then he could have afforded to keep him.  Williams body

is breaking down and he will not be worth his big salary in the next few years.  

our salary cap space is not determined by the team owner's checkbook

Archived