• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

bakedtater1

The current status of the Redskins o-line.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Panthers waived Tyler Catalina.

Paging @RandyHolt

Perfect! he will be back on the road here by week 6.  I did predict he would start at LT I just didn't say which weeks.  Familiar with the offense....

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Perfect! he will be back on the road here by week 6.  I did predict he would start at LT I just didn't say which weeks.  Familiar with the offense....

I figured they'd sell that Catalina for parts, since it doesn't run very well, but the Skins could use some extra parts, with all the injuries they have.

K..I said I'd quit if kirk wasnt locked up but I didnt... if scherff isn't locked up..your talking...I mean..I 

...how do I say...

To win football games you have to be solid on the offensive line.

Brandon Scherff being traded would realy be the end for me. I would just watch football and claim to be a fan to no one.

There is no way bruce would let scherff...ohhhh jesus ****s it just hit me..I dont think bruce got along with scott..wasnt there reports or what ever that Bruce was jealous of Scott...seen scott as an obstacle between him and Danny boy?

Scherff was a scott guy 100..Bruce is gonna get scherff traded to rid of the scott era..I'll be so pissed..

Damn it, lock scherff down, draft best available left tackle in draft next year and work on spot opposite of scherff.

The following offensive linemen are considered notable and are available after being cut/released from their respective teams:

Jeff Allen, Spencer Drango, Parker Ehinger, Josh Garnett, Hroniss Grasu, Mitch Hyatt, Martez Ivey, Sam Jones,

Marshall Newhouse, Rees Odhiambo, Jermey Parnell, J'Marcus Webb

Some may not available from this group due to injury of being signed with another team already. But out of this group, I'm sure there's a replace for the bum with the #77. A flower that stinks to high heaven.

• Like 1

Looks like all the league executives are playing hardball. Look how San Diego is dealing with Gordon. Look how Clowney got dealt. Hell, even Collins and OBJ got dealt a ****ed up hand when it was time for them to get paid. All players want is a contract comparable to their performance. That's fair. But I also see ownership's stance. So taking a look at Trent's situation, I'd say everyone including owners are seeking to protect themselves as the new collective bargaining agreement looms. Don't be surprised in this copy cat league that the Redskins use the same playbook as the Chargers with the Trent situation (although Gordon's contract talks were pretty public). 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001045990/article/chargers-suspend-rb-gordon-talks-until-after-season

This is actually not a bad situation for the Redskins, since noone is talking. If Trent comes back, he can simply say there was personal medical issues he had to work out. The Redskins can say we're glad Trent is back. If a question about his contract comes up, the Redskins can say his contract negotiations are ongoing with Brandon being the priority at this time. If he sits out the season, he sits out the season. The Redskins can say we'd like him back but decline further comment. Too easy.

I think the front office recognizes that no matter what course of action they take, they'll be deemed at fault. The priority is to win on the field. If that happens, Trent is virtually forgotten. If they lose, nothing changes. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Brandon Scherff being traded would realy be the end for me. I would just watch football and claim to be a fan to no one.

Traded? According to our history he won't be traded but rather leave during FA and we'll get a comp pick...

Writing is on the wall...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So, Cody Whitehair is getting $10.5 mil a year (avg). Between Trent Williams ($12 mil) and Alex Smith ($20 mil) and a supposed $12mil for Scherff, that adds up to roughly $44 mil between three players. Now, the Cap this year is $188 mil, right?  So, aside from dead cap math, that leaves about $94 mil for offense if all things are equal. So, a little less than half of what our offense should be allocated is going to just three players and two of them likely will never play for the Redskins ever again. This is where I think the FO has really screwed up. 

So a big debate this offseason was do you start a veteran guy week 1, who you know isnt anything special, but allow the young one to learn life in the NFL and not throw him to the wolves and feel overwhelmed. That debate was keenum vs Haskins, but a similar situation is there with flowers vs Martin.

I think we all feel flowers is nothing more than a stopgap (as is keenum).  What about giving Martin the start sooner rather than later and let him take his lumps and learn?  Nothing like game day reps to help you improve.  And throwing a 4th round guard into the fire is a lot less risky long term than a 1st round QB.  And since the franchise QB won't be back there, it would be a little more palatable knowing it was a stopgap QB back there, and not your future franchise QB, allowing him to make errors and learn from them.  Also, if Martin overtakes flowers, we can cut flowers altogether, and sign a wisnewski or kalil for more quality depth in my opinion.

18 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

****, I was wrong af that year.

I loved Garnett's game the year he won the Outland at Stanford.  But it looks like he hasn't been able to stay healthy in the NFL.  I've read that he had at least four significant injuries the previous two years which basically caused him to miss those entire seasons.  I read he also had trouble keeping his weight down because of them.  I'm not sure if he's healthy now either.

For some guys it's just not meant to be.  That's the sad part of the NFL game.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

So a big debate this offseason was do you start a veteran guy week 1, who you know isnt anything special, but allow the young one to learn life in the NFL and not throw him to the wolves and feel overwhelmed. That debate was keenum vs Haskins, but a similar situation is there with flowers vs Martin.

I think we all feel flowers is nothing more than a stopgap (as is keenum).  What about giving Martin the start sooner rather than later and let him take his lumps and learn?  Nothing like game day reps to help you improve.  And throwing a 4th round guard into the fire is a lot less risky long term than a 1st round QB.  And since the franchise QB won't be back there, it would be a little more palatable knowing it was a stopgap QB back there, and not your future franchise QB, allowing him to make errors and learn from them.  Also, if Martin overtakes flowers, we can cut flowers altogether, and sign a wisnewski or kalil for more quality depth in my opinion.

Since we've come this far with Flowers, we might as well see the experiment through.  I don't think he's going to work out, but the investment in him was minimal enough and there is enough upside with him to at least give him a shot because of his size.

I think this will be one of those roster questions that works itself out over time.  I'd love to be wrong, but I think Flowers is going to play himself out of the lineup so Martin will get his chance.

I think a redshirt year could be good for Martin too.  He's strong enough to play now, but I don't think he's learned his position and scheme well enough yet to throw him out there if there is another guy we can play who may be better right now.  Offensive line is hard and he's probably going to need some time and lots of mental reps.  There is no shame in that.  A lot of the OLs who are getting to the NFL right now just aren't ready for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

So we got penn at lt and flowers at lg right?

Right, flowers on the left, Brandon on the right.  Right?  Since lauvao left, we'll see what flowers has left, hopefully the coaching staff was right to put flowers on the left.

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Right, flowers on the left, Brandon on the right.  Right?  Since lauvao left, we'll see what flowers has left, hopefully the coaching staff was right to put flowers on the left.

Riiiiiiight...lol..thanks man..well in Callahan we trust..go get em boys!!

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Since we've come this far with Flowers, we might as well see the experiment through.  I don't think he's going to work out, but the investment in him was minimal enough and there is enough upside with him to at least give him a shot because of his size.

I think this will be one of those roster questions that works itself out over time.  I'd love to be wrong, but I think Flowers is going to play himself out of the lineup so Martin will get his chance.

I think a redshirt year could be good for Martin too.  He's strong enough to play now, but I don't think he's learned his position and scheme well enough yet to throw him out there if there is another guy we can play who may be better right now.  Offensive line is hard and he's probably going to need some time and lots of mental reps.  There is no shame in that.  A lot of the OLs who are getting to the NFL right now just aren't ready for it.

Valid points.  I was all for redshirting Haskins, since he is our future franchise QB (hopefully), wasn't sure if people thought it was a similar situation with Martin.  The points you make about martin were my thoughts on Haskins: a little raw, some things to work on within himself (martin strength, Haskins footwork), but also needing adjustment to the speed of the NFL game and taking mental reps on the sideline.  Just wondering what the consensus was and if it was a general philosophy vs a subjective take: do most people believe to play the young pups now to get the experience, to err on the side of caution and let them learn first, or to look at each situation differently depending on the different variables involved.  Some franchises prefer the youth movement.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, volsmet said:

It appears Flowers will be the best lg we have had in quite some time. Callahan deserves to have a Taco Bell in his office.

This guy seems to get it.

Our line is ok at pass blocking, but not good at run blocking. Part of that is scheme, as I’m sure Belicheck could scheme something with these guys but its also talent. Our guys just don’t open holes for the running back. Not a huge fan of Moses.

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

That was a good block against cox 

It was a great block, that guy went on to explain that he simply thought it was funny that EF dominated the rep; Atrociously worded, but a great clip of our new big lg.

• Like 1