Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The current status of the Redskins o-line.

bakedtater1

52 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

No I don't mean Penn. How many years has Penn been a successful LT? How many years has Flowers been successful at any position? I believe Penn will be fine.

Sorry I misunderstood when you said " I'll give Flowers 2 weeks before they try out Christian again."   I would say they play different positions, and that Martin is actually backing up Flowers. 

I know Jay wants likes positional flexibility - maybe they are getting Christian reps inside? 

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does anyone believe Flowers is better overall than Lauvao ?

Flowers isn't even a guard!  But he is becoming one.  I will be the salmon and swim upstream and say he will have as many good days this season, as Lauvao ever did. Cally will coach em up! 

Yes durability is a factor. Lauvao would most certainly be playing injured before tapping out.

12 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Good point of reference. The answer I think is Lauvao is better than Flowers. If he’s healthy. 

Best ability is availability.  Flowers has (I think) never really been hurt before.  If Lauvao was guaranteed to be healthy for longer, then it's a different conversation, but for the depressing reality of the situation...Flowers > Lauvao.

How many times do we say "what if the team wasn't hurt so much"?  At a certain point you have to target players with a track record of durability.  We are so far past that point it's sad.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yet he is already a better Guard, than he was a Tackle !

And the fact that we're actually comparing him already to Lauvao at his new position, says something.

He is big and clunky still, and will make mistakes. 

But you know what, we have our standard linemen blowing stunts, and see blitzers coming free at times anyways. So what's the difference.  I know most everyone loves Callahan but I am meh at best on him.   Getting Flowers up to speed is a good test for him.

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He is big and clunky still, and will make mistakes. 

But you know what, we have our standard linemen blowing stunts guys, and see blitzers coming free at times anyways. So what's the difference.  I know most everyone loves Callahan but I am meh at best on him.   Getting Flowers up to speed is a good test for him.

I'm starting to turn your way. Callahan hasn't really developed any studs or worked much magic while here. Left guard has been a mess the whole time. Center, I guess, has improved, and right tackle has improved, but Callahan hasn't shown the ability to build a great line or turn someone raw into a great contributor. Getting production out of Scherrf and and Williams isn't all that impressive. Pretty much all our low and middle round line draft picks have flamed out.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Shaun Lauvao is still out there.

I think if Lauvao were even remotely capable of being healthy, he'd be in here already.  Didnt he tear his ACL last time we saw him? Christian tore his MCL and just made it back fairly recently.  I would imagine Lauvao wouldnt be ready to go right now. 

Assuming he was even attempting to come back.  He coulda tapped out Andrew Luck-style for all we know, he was injured so much.

But I'm curious, off topic, how does that work if you get injured and then the contract runs out and you become a free agent?  I assume the Skins are still responsible for Lauvao's medical care for injuries sustained while with the team?  

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I'm starting to turn your way. Callahan hasn't really developed any studs or worked much magic while here. Left guard has been a mess the whole time. Center, I guess, has improved, and right tackle has improved, but Callahan hasn't shown the ability to build a great line or turn someone raw into a great contributor. Getting production out of Scherrf and and Williams isn't all that impressive. Pretty much all our low and middle round line draft picks have flamed out.

I look at it quite differently.  The argument that he has to produce studs is faulty, IMO.  He has made guys either reach their potential, or otherwise be better than they should be, which is what an OL coach should be judged on.  Whether they produce greatness is a tall bar to clear. 

The jury is still out on Christian. 

Rouiler was a 6th rounder and he's been solid, which is exceeding expectations. 

Reiter's starting in KC.  Not giving Callahan credit for that necessarily, but he only had him for year.  My point being, some guys need time to develop, and he didnt have it with Reiter, who was a late rounder anyway. 

Moses was drafted the year before Callahan got here, but once Callahan got him, he became a solid starter.

The only drafted guy that just plain never worked out IMO was Arie.  

And none of that takes into account the guys off the scrap heap that he scraped together to turn into an OL.  That game on the road in Seattle where he pulled together a hodge podge of guys was an OL coaching masterpiece.  TJ Clemmings, Arie, and Tyler Catalina played almost every snap.  They shoulda got run over.

Nsekhe earned a nice contract in Buffalo under Callahan's tutelage.

And I dont think credit should be withheld on Scherff.  Let's not assume it was a foregone conclusion that Scherff was gonna be a Pro-Bowl guard.  It wasnt a given. 

Bergstrom was a nobody, but he's had to start a bunch  since he's been here and has done ok.  

He's coached up guys to play multiple positions fairly effectively.

I think he's done a very good job.  We probably have the two of the best line coaches in football.  At least an argument could be made.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think he's done a very good job.  We probably have the two of the best line coaches in football.  At least an argument could be made.

All good points. .But has our run blocking even been adequate in his tenure?  It took the jump cut king AP to eek out 4 yards last year.I think our run blocking has been horrible overall.

Even our pass pro always seems much more under duress, vs our D and all the OLs they face.   We always seem to get burned clean on a stunt yet our D never gets such gifts. Getting the OL out there and ready to play, is half the battle.  

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

All good points. .But has our run blocking even been adequate in his tenure?  It took the jump cut king AP to eek out 4 yards last year.I think our run blocking has been horrible overall.

Even our pass pro always seems much more under duress, vs our D and all the OLs they face.   We always seem to get burned clean on a stunt yet our D never gets such gifts. Getting the OL out there and ready to play, is half the battle.  

For whatever reason, in 2016, they had a pretty decent running game.  Something like 5 or 6th in the league in yards per attempt.  Gruden just wanted to throw it like mad.  

But overall, I would argue AP was the first really competent running back we've had in this scheme since Callahan got here.  Alfred Morris, Matt Jones, Rob Kelley, Samaje Perine.  What is Callahan supposed to do with that?  We wanted these people out for a reason.

I remember people lamenting holes being missed, TE blocking being abysmal (that has been a big one), WRs that didnt want to get involved.  Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis short circuited many a run play a couple years ago where yards coulda been had.  I would argue OL blocking was only a fraction of our issue.  

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

But I'm curious, off topic, how does that work if you get injured and then the contract runs out and you become a free agent?  I assume the Skins are still responsible for Lauvao's medical care for injuries sustained while with the team?  

I don't know the answer, but sounds more like a Worker's Comp type situation. I don't think the teams are on the hook, but I think the NFLPA has something in place for such situations.

I haven't broken down tape, but it seems to me that we are going to have a lot of head scratching plays this year from the left side of our oline. Blown assignments, completely whiffed blocks, and lots of holding penalties. I think at times it will also be difficult to run play action because the qb will get destroyed on the drop. 

We basically need to run behind scherff the whole year and sprinkle in rb wheel routes and screens when defenses over commit. Clever scheme can make up for deficiencies. It would also be really helpful if our rbs can be effective on the edges and we get good blocking from our wide recievers. With guice and Thompson we might be able to do so. 

Prospect I’d love to see get a chance with Callahan OL parts.

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
ANTONIO GARCIAT, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
12247.jpg

Colts waived OT Antonio Garcia.

The 2017 third-rounder has now burned through three organizations in a span of three years, all without playing a single snap. Slated to serve a four-game PED suspension to begin the year, Garcia's phone won't be ringing off the hook with offers.

Aug 30, 2019, 2:45 PM ET
  •  

5 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Geron Christian is too slow. I’d keep Timon Parriss If I had to choose between the two. 

This begins to venture outside of my scope of knowledge, but the ball is snapped at the 26 and pressure takes place at the 18, doesn’t seem like the worst rep. It appears he could’ve engaged with his hands a bit earlier, but once again, I’m basing this off my logic (no Oline coaching experience). 

Any of those in the know care to educate me?

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This begins to venture outside of my scope of knowledge, but the ball is snapped at the 26 and pressure takes place at the 18, doesn’t seem like the worst rep. It appears he could’ve engaged with his hands a bit earlier, but once again, I’m basing this off my logic (no Oline coaching experience). 

Any of those in the know care to educate me?

My two cents?..the ball was snapped at the 27 actually 

27 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

My two cents?..the ball was snapped at the 27 actually 

Whats the value here? 

Was more wondering about Christian as it relates to the DE getting to the QB at a spot 8 or “9” yards from where ball was snapped. Was this an okay rep?

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Whats the value here? 

Was more wondering about Christian as it relates to the DE getting to the QB at a spot 8 or “9” yards from where ball was snapped. Was this an okay rep?

Pretty sure he was joking with that comment.

Haskins took a 5-step drop and Geron got beat around the edge, plain and simple. The defender got into him and literally went right around him... Christian should have been able to "Kerrigan him" (you know when Kerrigan comes screaming around the RT, looks like he has an angle on the QB and then gets bumped off his line and runs right by). Also, keep in mind, this was against the Ravens backups... A NFL-caliber starting tackle should never look like this.

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Pretty sure he was joking with that comment.

Haskins took a 5-step drop and Geron got beat around the edge, plain and simple. The defender got into him and literally went right around him... Christian should have been able to "Kerrigan him" (you know when Kerrigan comes screaming around the RT, looks like he has an angle on the QB and then gets bumped off his line and runs right by). Also, keep in mind, this was against the Ravens backups... A NFL-caliber starting tackle should never look like this.

He was.

I’m with ya— saw the same thing. 

Was more looking for the coaching details of Christian and if it was serviceable rep, considering the DLineman created pressure 9 yards behind scrimmage. 

Archived