Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The current status of the Redskins o-line.

bakedtater1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, by all accounts, Flowers hasnt even been that good in practice, so how in the world did he win the LG job?  If Martin isnt good enough to wrestle this job away in the last game, we're truly F'ed at LG. 

My goodness, With Flowers starting at LG, Philly and every team behind them will know that any simple stunt will be a fast track to the QB.

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, by all accounts, Flowers hasnt even been that good in practice, so how in the world did he win the LG job?  If Martin isnt good enough to wrestle this job away in the last game, we're truly F'ed at LG. 

It's the "potential" trap that the coaching staff has fallen into.  They're looking at Flowers size with the idea that he and Penn will just steam roll DLs.  But his feet are too slow and he's not a knee bender.  He had to hold on the Guice TD because he has a very slow first step and can't cut off the backside.  Martin can.  Martin is much more polished as a guard!  He's really good at getting to the next level on combo blocks.  There's no doubt that Martin would be the starting LG if the staff was thinking rationally.  I wouldn't be surprised if Flowers starts the Philly game and Martin finishes it - and he'll never look back.  

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think overall we have a solid interior OL group to move forward with.

I would seriously consider drafting a LT and RT in 2020 if it does indeed become a loaded draft at the tackle positions.

PFF shows our back up RT, Timmon Parris, grading the highest out of all our offense. Good to hear. 

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

Must be Jay’s guy, like Samaje Perine. Flowers is pretty terrible, and no I’m not buying a game against the rebuilding Bengals as proof that he might turn the corner. 

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not sure, but I'll give Flowers 2 weeks before they try out Christian again.

That's fine. There's no indications this team is good right now, so you might as well try with what you've got unless you can upgrade post cuts or via trade.  The TW saga puts the Skins in a rebuild of the LT and LG spots with depth Swing T needed as well.  I'd expect Flowers to last about less than a game unless he outperforms and plays average. 

16 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I gotta say I ripped Timon Parris after game 1 of pre. He has improved over his next two performances. Credit where credit is due. Dude is workin at it. Keep plugging away young fella..

He's built for it.

Jay likes him (or is that a bad sign ? haha)

I hope he really develops this year, and plays a bigger role next year after Penn retires.

8 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not sure, but I'll give Flowers 2 weeks before they try out Christian again.

I think you mean Penn.  I will give Flowers 3 weeks before we see Martin.

Geron has far exceeded my expectations this preseason but I did set a low bar after a ruined disaster rookie campaign. He is our Attauyo Nsekhe backup swing.

I think we go with 9OL and PS Piershie

So, Robbie Duncan has a good series of O-line performance against the Falcons. He is convinced Wes Martin should start at LG. My trouble is that although Martin appears to have better technique, he makes some boneheaded decisions - like his head isn’t in the game. But he’s still learning. 

It sounds like Flowers just has strange technique as in his stance, he leans over his arms like a DL instead of bending his knees. This allows an OL to peddle backwards quicker in pass pro and allow more time to engage the DL. If our LG can’t progress backwards in unison with the rest of the line, it opens cut lanes for defenders. I also find it odd that Callahan allows this technique. 

IDK, maybe Martin should get the job if he shows good this Thursday night?

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Flowers being named the starter sounds like one of those predestined money-things. They got him in free agency, don't want to lose face, and so he's starting. Best player plays doesn't come into it.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Totally agree with that.   Also think Persh should make the team as he can play C and OG and its not like Bergstrom has been lights out.  

Martin hopefully takes over at LG soon.  

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I think you mean Penn.  I will give Flowers 3 weeks before we see Martin.

Geron has far exceeded my expectations this preseason but I did set a low bar after a ruined disaster rookie campaign. He is our Attauyo Nsekhe backup swing.

I think we go with 9OL and PS Piershie

No I don't mean Penn. How many years has Penn been a successful LT? How many years has Flowers been successful at any position? I believe Penn will be fine.

Archived