Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt it's just about all money.   The MMQ article I referred to was illuminating to me because it made me think like an agent.    And from the agent's perspective when they have a premier or in demand player the ideal end goal is FA because you are just about guaranteed to get at least market price or more likely even more than that -- so it brought home to me that if anything low ball offers from the team can be a godsend (outside of a lucrative offer) because it likely helps accomplish two things (or least that's the point i took from that article).

Do you feel this an issue with Bruce and Dan— Not paying their top players? They’re pretty aggressive when targeting perceived top tier free agent as well. 

I hear ya on the point though, but don’t think it applies to the Skins. Even the more frugal Skins of the last 5 years pays their top guys market value. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

There is big difference between being a hard negotiator and being untrustworthy. From what we have heard Bruce will tell agents and players one thing but then do something else, not negotiating in good faith. 

Again, you can be a hard negotiator without being dishonest. So no, I do not see this as a good thing at all. 

Do you really feel this is an issue or that it has or will make an impact on signing future players? I own being on side of defending the FO, but it doesn’t seem signing players is an issue for Skins. 

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

Do you really feel this is an issue or that it has or will make an impact on signing future players? I own being on side of defending the FO, but it doesn’t seem signing players is an issue for Skins. 

We do not know what we do not know. Do I have any tangible proof we have lost out on FAs because Bruce is a POS? No. I do not know the guys personally or have any first hand knowledge. Having said that it would pretty naive to think that with his reputation, there has been zero affect. Also, there is the Jay factor - players may come here knowing Bruce is a POS but with the idea they are playing for Jay. So once the money is done that's all they need to deal with Bruce.

But on the flip side you cannot say for a certainly that the team has never lost out on a player due to Bruce being an ass. Saying it appears we have no problem signing FAs - just because they do sign some players does not mean there are no issues. 

But let's get back to the question I was answering. The question was "Isn't it a GOOD thing" if Bruce is considered to be a liar and completely unprepared by a majority of agents (which BTW I am not a fan of Agents. I am sure there is a flip side argument to be had that some are also dishonest. This is not a defense of them. But they have a job to do. )? My response was and is and emphatic NO! How negative an effect does it have? I have no idea. But I can see no way that it's a positive that the GM of the Redskins is considered among the worst pieces of garbage GMs in the NFL. That he is considered by most that have to deal with him to be dishonest and unprepared to the point of being insulting to both the players and agents. 

Now is he that way with every agent/player? I do not think that is true either. But to the question asked, it certainly cannot be a good thing that he apparently treats the majority of agents like garbage. 

15 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

The franchise tag period ends July 15, genius

I think you missed my point. By using 'Cousins' I wanted to remind of the issues associated with negotiating an extension while using the franchise tag as leverage. That didn't work out too well for us. 

16 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

The franchise tag period ends July 15, genius

I believe @Unbias was making the point that we have been down this road before where a player we should be trying a bit harder to keep is being given low ball offers (if reports are to be believed) only to see the team be willing to go the franchise tag route. Not saying that's what is happening here for sure as we do not know. But while it may be a different movie in the end, the trailer looks much the same. 

I just read that 6 Redskins players skipped the off-season workouts and had their 2019 salaries reduced by:
Josh Norman: $200k
Landon Collins: $175k
Trent Williams: $150k
Paul Richardson: $150k
Quinton Dunbar: $100k
Vernon Davis: $50k

Do you think we can use this money and give it to Trent to make him want to come back?

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

They should sign Scherff ASAP, this fiddling around w/ one of the leagues top G’s is an unnecessary risk imo. He’s a lunch pail guy that deserves his $. You can’t mess with peoples $. No hardline needed, sign the dude.

I couldn't agree more.  We need to lock him up.  If we wait a year it will only get more expenseive and we risk losing him.

54 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If we were not afraid to go after Reuben Foster mid season, we should go get OT Desmond Harrison. We wanted him a month ago, and he is a free man. For now.  Assault charge assault smarge.

Harrison is trash. No thank you.

With Williams and Sherff both seem to be hurt alot.I believe both are top 5 at their positions when they are actually on the field in Williams case the best.To me if we plan on letting Haskins sit this year lets on load both of them for draft picks and clear up a ton of cap space.Does anyone believe we could land 2 1st if we unload both of these guys?With cap space and draft picks we would be able to seriously reload the offense next year.

45 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

They should sign Scherff ASAP, this fiddling around w/ one of the leagues top G’s is an unnecessary risk imo. He’s a lunch pail guy that deserves his $. You can’t mess with peoples $. No hardline needed, sign the dude.

Haven't you heard? Scherff wants too much money for a Guard. Building an offensive line is apparently a poor team building strategy.

We should let Trent and Scherff walk.

Probably need a safety or another WR.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Harrison is trash. No thank you.

I don't know the player, and when Bruce wanted him a month ago, few seemed to complain.  Does Harrison excel at Zone or Man, and how was he used when you came to your grade?

Flowers at tackle is trash apparently, but so was Scherff.  Harrison may fit in somehow.  I think Geron is still slowed by his injury last year. If talks with Brandon aren't going well I doubt they are with Trent. We need help at tackle and until a better free agent comes along... Harrison is out there.

27 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I don't know the player, and when Bruce wanted him a month ago, few seemed to complain.  Does Harrison excel at Zone or Man, and how was he used when you came to your grade?

Flowers at tackle is trash apparently, but so was Scherff.  Harrison may fit in somehow.  I think Geron is still slowed by his injury last year. If talks with Brandon aren't going well I doubt they are with Trent. We need help at tackle and until a better free agent comes along... Harrison is out there.

Harrison got benched as soon as Hue Jackson was canned. Maybe Harrison is an okay tackle, maybe he's a tackle that was so bad he had to be benched halfway through the season. Tacking that on to a strangulation charge, I can't say I'd be very happy with signing him.

30 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He had not been charged with strangulation back then. I honestly did not read up much on him until just now. The guy is a problem waiting to happen. He was booted off TX, benched as soon as Hue Jackson was fired and based on reports has shown a lack of professionalism and no personal discipline. We do not need any player that bad. 

How about this?  T dubs becomes a coach and trains GC coming back with a MCL injury. How long would that take? With regards to Will's beef with the Skins: being a player is like being a contractor, if said contractor loses trust in his employer, contractor gone and gets a job somewhere else. 'Nuff said.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He had not been charged with strangulation back then. I honestly did not read up much on him until just now. The guy is a problem waiting to happen. He was booted off TX, benched as soon as Hue Jackson was fired and based on reports has shown a lack of professionalism and no personal discipline. We do not need any player that bad. 

I agree, Harrison had a golden opportunity in Cleveland.  Joe Thomas had just retired, the Browns had no long-term replacement or really much of a short-term replacement in place and Hue Jackson handed Harrison the starting LT job after he wasn't able to practice much in training camp due to an ankle injury.  They had Bitonio playing LT in preseason but wanted to keep him at LG.  It could have been a great story, but he blew it being late for meetings and not focusing on his craft.  He was a 25 year old rookie.  Teams aren't as patient at that age.   Maybe the mistake was handing him the LT job, but come on, you have to take that opportunity and run with it.   

OK so it sounds like we're ok with:

Weed possession, threats, assault weapon, drug test fail, and getting kicked out of the combine.

Anything more than that, forget about it!

Not many 25 year old men are mature and ready for prime time. Harrison is probably no different. And I figured if Bruce was unafraid of the charges against Foster, maybe he would overlook others at positions of dire need.  Losing Foster was a real kick in the nuts. Trent refusing to play is even worse. Foster ended up with charges dropped (blind squirrel --> nut for Bruce), and then he get injured. Sure the kid we drafted sounds solid but can't help but wonder if without Foster that would have taken someone inside earlier.

Lets see if those charges end up dropped.

Archived