Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

1 hour ago, NYCSKINS83 said:

I disagree with this....quality LT's rarely hit free agency....You can overpay average ones like Nate Solder...The demand will be much greater than the supply.

Fortunately for us; We'll be in good position to draft Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs.

On the other hand, We would be crazy not to trade Kerrigan in the next week.

You absolutely can’t pass on better prospects in Young, Jeudy and Okudah to get Thomas (who some of the draftniks on this site dont see as elite) or Wirfs (who profiles more as a RT). I’d rather go another season of Penn, if needed

1 hour ago, NYCSKINS83 said:

Let me ask you a few questions...

1) Are the Browns a contender?   Why would a 2-4 team give up a haul for Trent? 

2) After the Browns miss the playoffs, don't you think they will be even more desperate in the off-season?   plus they would get Trent for two full years.

3) How about the Broncos?   Elway likes to deal with us...Garrett toilet Bolles makes Stephon Heyer look like Joe Jacoby....You think Elway will want to draft another OT in the 1st round or will he be desperate for a pro bowl veteran?

4) How about the Bucs?   They may need to draft a QB in the 1st round....they definitely need a LT.

5) How about the Rams?    They don't have the 1st round picks, but they are super aggressive..and obviously the McVay connection...could be a combo of picks and players

First off, Trent will he one year older and he’s already no spring chicken. You also have a guy who hasn’t played more or less in 18 months. Also, in the off-season teams can assess their chances at being contenders and then address their needs via FA and the draft without having to give up draft capital. Lastly, once the season ends you’re already limiting yourself to who would be willing to trade with you because teams already know their draft position. Cleveland for example may still very well compete this year considering they’ve been bad yet still are only a game and a half out of a wildcard spot. Cleveland in the offseason may be picking 6th or 26th. If it’s higher then they would be much more reluctant to trade it for TW. We would take a first regardless but other teams would if it’s a top 10 pick.

Teams like Denver and TB have no use for a heavily paid player in the twilight of his career, just as we don’t. Neither would be interested in giving up a first for his services. Rams? We don’t need players. We need draft picks.

I wonder if there is a cap and cash incentive for the team to retain Trent until the offseason. Maybe if he sits out all year here we can recover the full bonus portions back from him, about four mil. Whereas if we trade him in season we lose that right and he retains that cash, and we lose that cap space.

Im not stating that as a good reason to keep him, I want him traded, I just wonder if Bruce is using that as justification.

Seems to me like they are saving, or receiving back, as much as they can from Trent to offset some of this season's cash and cap losses on Alex Smith.

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I wonder if there is a cap and cash incentive for the team to retain Trent until the offseason. Maybe if he sits out all year here we can recover the full bonus portions back from him, about four mil. Whereas if we trade him in season we lose that right and he retains that cash, and we lose that cap space.

Im not stating that as a good reason to keep him, I want him traded, I just wonder if Bruce is using that as justification.

Seems to me like they are saving, or receiving back, as much as they can from Trent to offset some of this season's cash and cap losses on Alex Smith.

Could be wrong 74 but I believe the team that trades for TW would pick up his salary going forward from present to the end of the contract unless they redo his contract.  Either way I think we are free from the monies owed after the physical and trade are agreed upon.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Could be wrong 74 but I believe the team that trades for TW would pick up his salary going forward from present to the end of the contract unless they redo his contract.  Either way I think we are free from the monies owed after the physical and trade are agreed upon.

Yeh i was meaning the bonus monies allocated through the cap so far this year. I assume we are currently going after getting that back from Trent?

There are a few assets I'd be trying to move if I was the Redskins:

1) Trent Williams

2) Ryan Kerrigan

3) Brandon Scherff (not because I think he stinks, but because I'm a touch worried that he has no intention of signing here and he's going to walk for nothing)

4) Josh Norman (not likely to fetch a high price, but someone may bite)

5) Chris Thompson (if healthy. Again, not because I don't like him. But he's a free agent after this year and he may cost quite a bit to keep. I'd at least get feelers)

6) Colt McCoy (won't get anything for him, I don't think he has value, really... but worth a shot to see what's out there)

I'd also be feverishly writing the contract to sign Tress Way before he hits free agency.

Keeping Williams is an absolutely critical error in the sense that him being around taints the damned good culture this team has. That shadow looms large over the franchise. I also believe that his value drops after the deadline. Especially if he reports before the deadline. But I think he is in Allen's plans. I think Allen, given his comments "Trent will play this year... for the Redskins" was him insinuating that he believes Williams is going to report to accrue a season. And that is when Haskins will start playing some football games... When Trent is back in the lineup.

If my theory is correct, they will also not try to trade Scherff, even if they don't think he's going to re-sign, simply to protect their ego a little to give Haskins every opportunity to succeed so Bruce and Dan can look correct on Haskins. And maybe Haskins is fine. Maybe he's not. But I just have a suspicion that there is a lot more to unpack with this situation than we see at the surface level. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

First off, Trent will he one year older and he’s already no spring chicken. You also have a guy who hasn’t played more or less in 18 months. Also, in the off-season teams can assess their chances at being contenders and then address their needs via FA and the draft without having to give up draft capital. Lastly, once the season ends you’re already limiting yourself to who would be willing to trade with you because teams already know their draft position. Cleveland for example may still very well compete this year considering they’ve been bad yet still are only a game and a half out of a wildcard spot. Cleveland in the offseason may be picking 6th or 26th. If it’s higher then they would be much more reluctant to trade it for TW. We would take a first regardless but other teams would if it’s a top 10 pick.

Teams like Denver and TB have no use for a heavily paid player in the twilight of his career, just as we don’t. Neither would be interested in giving up a first for his services. Rams? We don’t need players. We need draft picks.

Joe Staley, Andre Whitworth, Jason Peters, and Duane Brown are all highly paid  starters who are older than Trent, and another five are his age.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My God just wait for the Browns to throw picks and/or a nice haul of players to the Giants. I feel sick.

Solder would be a good get to get off their books.  He's been ok but by and large a disappointment considering what they paid for him.    Giants were sellers last year too before the trading deadline. 

7 hours ago, method man said:

You absolutely can’t pass on better prospects in Young, Jeudy and Okudah to get Thomas (who some of the draftniks on this site dont see as elite) or Wirfs (who profiles more as a RT). I’d rather go another season of Penn, if needed

I wouldn't draft Jeudy or Okudah in the top 10...I'd rather have Henry Ruggs...I would take Young over any LT, but if we're picking 3rd, I'd trade down anyway.

The idea of bringing back Penn for another year and seeing if Christian can develop is not a bad idea.

My main hope is Dan just can't resist not being part of the action leading up to the trade deadline.  The idea that they will get more in the off season (while you never know) would have to make me believe many odd things including.

A.  Hey teams right before the season and during this season have overpaid for RBs, WRs, LTs but for some odd reason Trent wouldn't be part of the party.  Trent is just not as sexy of a player as a Sanu or Sanders or Johnson, etc.   Teams would overpay during the season for players like that while offering a paltry sum for Trent

B.  A bunch of national reporters and local would have to be lying that they've been offered a first for Trent.

C.  A bunch of national reporters would have to be lying that Trent had good demand on the market but Bruce said he's not open for business.  With the exception of one local reporter. 

D.  I read the article about how persistent Dorsey was to get Beckham, he continually called Gettleman and ultimately said what will it take and got it done.  Hard for me to believe the same dude who according to Garafalo has hounded Bruce for a long time is just offering him a ham sandwhich for Trent.

E.  Somehow having arguably a rich draft for LT and FA with guys like Bugala along with not having an in season urgency to save jobs or make a run -- will actually help increase Trent's market as opposed to hurt it.

Bruce can be dumb and stubborn IMO.  And if I had to pick my poison between Dan and Bruce, I'd take Bruce.  But on this one, my hope is on Dan.  Can Dan stomach watching the action happening with other teams?  Especially if the Giants double down again on adding draft capital before the trade deadline.  Yeah the Giants have been a punchline of late but heck they are better than us, too.  They had no problem crushing us a few weeks back.  How low can this team get?  You figure Dan must have some breaking point?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/23/nfl-trade-deadline-2019-rumors-deals-vic-beasley-aj-green-leonard-williams?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

TRADES WE’D LIKE TO SEE

• Washington OT Trent Williams to the Browns

We also deserve to see Baker Mayfield wandering frantically in the backfield for minutes at a time until his two talented wide receivers break open, which is something he has not been able to do in 2019 thus far. While we’re all on record suggesting the Browns need to make this offense more functional for a second-year quarterback, Williams is the kind of franchise-altering stalwart who can turn Cleveland from tremendous let down to still-legitimate playoff contender in 2019.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kerrigan to the Ravens

TW to the Browns (or Broncos)

Vernon Davis to the Pats

Norman to the dumpster

AP to the Texans

would be nice...

That's what a smart organization would do.

Before the Caps drafted Ovechkin, they fire sold their team and got rid of everyone, stocking up on draft picks to rebuild the roster into one with youth and talent.

This franchise though has NO idea how to really rebuild. Every year its bandaids because "we're close."

9 hours ago, NYCSKINS83 said:

A new coach/Gm will know they will get a good return prior to the draft...doesn't have to be today.

Would a team give up more for Trent if they have him for 24 games or 32?     I want a bidding war...right now it's just the Browns it seems.

I hear you, but I think it’s fair to guess that Trent would rather report -  accrue the season (1 year closer to FA/new contract) and not lose more paychecks - than sit out the remainder of the year.  

I would worry that teams would prefer taking a chance on a rookie tackle - someone who is cheaper, younger, has fewer injuries and who’s contract they’d own for 4-5 years, over trading a high draft pick for a 1 year rental of Williams.

Add to all of that the desperation @volsmet is talking about and the chance to quash the negativity surrounding this issue, and I think trading him now makes a lot more sense.

With all of that said, and to your point - if you aren’t getting what could be considered reasonable offers for Williams, sure, wait and see what the offseason brings.  Of course, Allen should probably tone down the ‘we are not trading Trent’ messaging.  Frankly, it seems a no-brainer to say something like - “we’re expecting Trent to report, we hope to work things out and have him for the foreseeable future.  Of course if we get an offer too good to pass up that can benefit both Trent and the team, we will listen.”  Maybe sprinkle in some stuff about how great a Redskin he’s been and how important/valuable he is to the team.  Flattery rarely hurts.  

Out of general curiosity, anyone know if bigger trades are more prevalent in-season or in the offseason?

Edit:  forgot to mention the cap angle.  If you move Williams now, you add that cap space.  If you wait too long, you can’t use the added space in FA this offseason (and/or you likely miss most of the top players early in FA).  There’s more to it than that, but you get the idea.  

Yall have seen me ****in and moaning pounding the table about the skins getting rid of this player and that player but now knowing the season is a wash(.. I mean basically you could tell the season was a wash after week 2).. sell anything worth value even if that means yes Scherff..and Kerrigan  and ap.. new coaching staff new regime about to start get what you can for what you got now.. let Mike Tom.. I mean the new coaching staff pick their players... I still do not nor will I ever support tanking but looks like y'all going to get that high draft pick you wanted next year

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yall have seen me ****in and moaning pounding the table about the skins getting rid of this player and that player but now knowing the season is a wash(.. I mean basically you could tell the season was a wash after week 2).. sell anything worth value even if that means yes Scherff..and Kerrigan  and ap.. new coaching staff new regime about to start get what you can for what you got now.. let Mike Tom.. I mean the new coaching staff pick their players... I still do not nor will I ever support tanking but looks like y'all going to get that high draft pick you wanted next year

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Most have been advocating being sellers because the season was lost. That's not tanking. 

I think some people are grossly misinformed as to what a tank is. A tank is handicapping your team of assets/players before the season begins with the purpose of acquiring a high draft pick. That could be bad, or good, depends on point of view.

What the Skins would do, at this point, with the damn good culture is sell some of it off to other teams so that we can share some of this phenomenal culture in order to gain draft capital to be used in a way to better the franchise. The improved draft pick is a beneficial consequence to that strategy.

46 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ja’waun James returns this week, that doesn’t make much sense.

Isnt James RT and Bolles LT ? Either way, Bolles may have improved since early season but the Broncos would be a nice trade option. We have history and I'm desperate..:rofl89:

Broncos have picks in rounds 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4 and Elway is marginally better than Bruce. Man, I'd imagine their front office discussions are inspiring. 

Get it done.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Isnt James RT and Bolles LT ? Either way, Bolles may have improved since early season but the Broncos would be a nice trade option. We have history and I'm desperate..:rofl89:

Broncos have picks in rounds 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4 and Elway is marginally better than Bruce. Man, I'd imagine their front office discussions are inspiring. 

Get it done.

Good point, I figure they’d move Wilkinson over, but he stinks too, he’s actually grading out more poorly than Bolles.

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Most have been advocating being sellers because the season was lost. That's not tanking. 

I think some people are grossly misinformed as to what a tank is. A tank is handicapping your team of assets/players before the season begins with the purpose of acquiring a high draft pick. That could be bad, or good, depends on point of view.

What the Skins would do, at this point, with the damn good culture is sell some of it off to other teams so that we can share some of this phenomenal culture in order to gain draft capital to be used in a way to better the franchise. The improved draft pick is a beneficial consequence to that strategy.

Sorry for the confusion I am saying that I am all for selling for what we can get for draft picks for next year and I know that doesn't mean tanking I just don't want to get confused with some who root for the Redskins to lose

Archived