Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

The problem with trading him is that many teams are going to be willing to roll with what they have this year, knowing the draft will be deep at OL.  We're going to need a team desperate for a LT and believing they can make the playoffs this year.   I have no idea why Bruce thinks he can keep TW and is unwilling to move him, unless the offers have been jokes.

1 hour ago, sempre_victrix said:

The problem with trading him is that many teams are going to be willing to roll with what they have this year, knowing the draft will be deep at OL.  We're going to need a team desperate for a LT and believing they can make the playoffs this year.   I have no idea why Bruce thinks he can keep TW and is unwilling to move him, unless the offers have been jokes.

Yeah, I don't get your take here.

Teams that are calling (Houston/NE) believe they are contenders now. So, waiting for a deep OL draft next year doesn't help an immediate need for them. It's a team like the Skins who can afford to "wait" because even with Trent they aren't likely to be that good on offense. 

We all rip on Bruce for good reason. But I don't know who is saying move Trent today if waiting a few weeks for teams to get a little more nervous can drive the price up. The price isn't going to go down unless all 3+ teams calling all the sudden find a different solution.

I love the idea of taking 2 OTs in the draft next year early if the Skins can get the picks to take those guys on Day 1 and 2 in the 2020 draft.

On it's face, Trent Williams is a pro bowl left tackle that is universally lauded as one of if not the best in the game.  Left tackle probably ranks just below QB as for scarcity at the position.  The other side to all this is that most teams would need to figure out cap space to take on his contract at this point.  Over and above that, most teams would want to know from Williams camp that he's going to show up and play for them.  Williams and his camp would then be stupid not to negotiate an extension or threaten retirement.

In summary, this isn't as easy as it looks and we have Bruce Allen in the drivers seat.  My gut says stubborn is as stubborn does and this holdout lasts longer than it should.

With Williams trade inevitable, OL a massive concern

As I first reported back months ago, left tackle Trent Williams is entrenched in his position that he will never play for the Skins again, and if anything, the front office's ham-handed approach to his holdout has only exacerbated things. He does not trust this team's brass or its medical team, and a trade is inevitable. Numerous contending teams are interested, and the situation with Williams, based on everything I have heard, is past the point of no return....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-dwayne-haskins-shows-why-he-wont-be-on-the-bench-for-long-redskins-and-bengals-ol-woes-grow/

I really can't stand Jason LaCanfora.

The team's "Ham handed approach"
What are they supposed to do? Give in to demands immediately? Fire the training staff in July?  What would LaCanfora expect any team to do in this situation?

~Bang

20 minutes ago, Bang said:

What are they supposed to do? Give in to demands immediately? Fire the training staff in July?  What would LaCanfora expect any team to do in this situation?

~Bang

If we just trade him right off the bat, doesn't it send a message to other players that if they're unhappy for the most minor reason, or just want to play for another team, all they have to do is hold out 2 weeks, to make their desire come to fruition ? Not much lost pay in the long run, if it's only 2 weeks.

38 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

The only question I have is whether they reached out to him early in the process to let him air his grievances and let him know that he's been heard, appreciated, and that they will try to act in his (and the team's best interests). Now, they may have done that or they may have sat aloof and not been in communication with him. The rumors I've heard suggest the latter. Bruce Allen's reputation suggest the latter. He lets a bad situation simmer until the pot gets burnt instead of heading things off.

But all of that is only conjecture on my part.

He has every right to refuse to play for the Skins ever again....just give us *some* of the bonus money back and sit on his ass for the season and we'll talk again in March. Bruce should come right out and say it if TW doesn't show by end of PS. I don't want a cancer coming back to the team in mid season regardless of our record.

3 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

He has every right to refuse to play for the Skins ever again....just give us *some* of the bonus money back and sit on his ass for the season and we'll talk again in March. Bruce should come right out and say it if TW doesn't show by end of PS. I don't want a cancer coming back to the team in mid season regardless of our record.

Maybe not the best way to word that. 🤔 Probably exactly what Bruce would say though. 

I am coming from the stand point of I want to trade the dude.  And don't care about the back and forth on this aside from how it influences or not them dealing him.  But yeah I can see how both sides are annoyed at the other if their takes are actually true. 

The FO seems to be leaking to everyone that speaks to them that Trent's drive is all about money.  That's what just about almost every beat guy and national guy have said when referring to their sources at Redskins Park and they haven't been shy saying that's the Redskins side of the story.  Even Bruce speaking on it basically referred to Trent's contract -- implying money is the issue.   The only difference I've seen on this is some reporters will say that the FO thinks there might be some medical beef in the soup but its still primarily about money and money would solve it. 

Trent's side seems to be saying it's not about money.

Then you got a third camp theory saying it's not about money but Trent will overlook this if he gets paid more.  I personally hate this narrative.  I can't back Trent on the idea of him being upset but will shut up about it if he gets paid more.   If that's true, I can't look at him as that principled if he can be bought off.  And if this becomes reality then Trent comes off to me truly all about the money. 

Granted we don't know if any of this is true and what the real narrative is.  But yeah when Casserly goes on TV and says he knows its absolutely all about money as to Trent and in a different segment he admits its people at Redskins Park who are his source and hasn't talked to Trent's camp (and this isn't the only example of that among reports) then if Trent's camp truly aren't driven by money, you'd figured their beef with the FO/medical staff or whatever has only deepened as opposed to softened through this process. 

18 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

That's not how any of that works

3 hours ago, Bang said:

~Bang

In my opinion, the reports from the front office telling the media that they expect fines will force Trent to come back was a very bad approach.  It seems like, even if you believe that it will work, it is a bad idea to make that public.  I feel like that public posturing will just make a player dig in deeper.

3 minutes ago, Nerm said:

In my opinion, the reports from the front office telling the media that they expect fines will force Trent to come back was a very bad approach.  It seems like, even if you believe that it will work, it is a bad idea to make that public.  I feel like that public posturing will just make a player dig in deeper.

Can you provide me the link or an article where the FO publicly stated that? I’m honestly curious cause maybe I missed something. 

11 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Can you provide me the link or an article where the FO publicly stated that? I’m honestly curious cause maybe I missed something. 

It was a Washington Post article from Aug 1st.  I'm having trouble with a link, the article is behind a paywall 

Trent good guy or clown.  Medical staff great or stink. Bruce good guy or clown.  I still don't think relevant to the bottom line as to this contract impasse which IMO is if they can get a first rounder for Trent -- its the perfect draft to replenish. 

For example I hope Laconfora's story is right and he's been rubbed the wrong way and doesn't want to come back. It's no offense to Trent who I think is a great LT and by most accounts is a really good dude.  

But what a draft to replenish that position and you take 13 million off the books.  I think the main thing standing in the way are jobs on the line and Trent helps a win now mindset.  That's why IMO Trent is doing them a favor by forcing this issue.  

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trent good guy or clown.  Medical staff great or stink. Bruce good guy or clown.  I still don't think relevant to the bottom line as to this contract impasse which IMO is if they can get a first rounder for Trent -- its the perfect draft to replenish. 

For example I hope Laconfora's story is right and he's been rubbed the wrong way and doesn't want to come back. It's no offense to Trent who I think is a great LT and by most accounts is a really good dude.  

But what a draft to replenish that position and you take 13 million off the books.  I think the main thing standing in the way are jobs on the line and Trent helps a win now mindset.  That's why IMO Trent is doing them a favor by forcing this issue.  

We may actually agree on something! 😎

Archived