• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Owls0325

Prehistoric development with new speculation: Trent Williams wants to be traded/released

As I said in the other thread, I hope we trade him.  Would get back at least a 2020 2nd round pick, would take his contract off the books, and would give us further incentive to sit Haskins his rookie year.  Works for me.

• Like 1

He's got the 9th highest cap hit among O-Line in the league.  That's not peanuts.  At least this way it gives other guys some necessary reps as #1 LT?  Is Geron Christian healthy and in mini-camp?

He's just had a major health scare, is probably paid 20/30% under market rate now. I say fair enough, pay him another 3/4mil per year over the short term.

Well if he actually asked for a trade then I would say trade him.  His agent must feel he has maximum leverage since the Skins are short on Tackles.  His current annual pay may be less than the newest contracts but he has missed a lot of games on his current contract.  His agent knows that Trent's likelihood of getting another big contract is going to be much lower in two years. 

Trents not getting any younger or healthier but he is still an elite tackle.

He's out of contract though at the end of next season at $12.5M with per game roster bonus of $250K (so $16.5M total). His cap number this year and next is just over $14M. There might be away to add a couple of years to the deal, give him some new money and reduce his cap impact this year and next to create some room to add some talent next offseason.

I don't like extending players who are over 30 though and have injury history.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since it was Rapoport I didn't take it fully seriously.  But the Hawksworth report makes me take it a little more seriously.  Still want to see what happens tomorrow or whatever since we don't know for sure that this is a fact.

But if it is, I'd trade him if they can.   He signed a monster contract in 2015 so just because some have surpassed him since that time -- he's unhappy?  That's assuming its about the year to year salary versus purely about an extension.  but my larger point is you can count on him to miss 25% of every season.  And  he is one violation away from a one year suspension.   He hasn't played a full season since 2013.  So they are supposed to think that things will get better as he goes deeper into his 30s?  

He's a great player but he's also an aging injury prone dude.   Again, this is if this is true.  I think there is a shot that it isn't true.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don't like extending players who are over 30 though and have injury history.

and a suspension or two.

I don't care if these guys smoke weed. It's not a PED. But the NFL still cares.

If the report is accurate....that's frustrating. 13 missed games the past 3 years. Any kind of deal would need clauses that involve staying on the field because they are already paying a lot for a QB who may never play again.

• Like 3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he has been a great and loyal Redskin & has been the best LT in the game. But you can’t give a guy with his recent injury history and age a high paying new deal. The right thing is trade him and get something for him. 

No no hard feelings Trent you are the man but if this team is ever going to crawl out of misery it starts with taking emotion out of the decision. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’m sure the Hard Knocks crew is licking their chops. 

If he's holding out...he won't be at training camp.  So not much to go by in terms of juicy footage right?

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he's holding out...he won't be at training camp.  So not much to go by in terms of juicy footage right?

Check the Hard Knocks with the Jets when Revis was holding out.

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Didn’t HBO announce they were going with Detroit this year?

That's a rumor.  Just like there were rumors for the Skins and Raiders.  The Lions HC came out today and said he's heard nothing from Hard Knocks.

Age, injury history.  Nope.

If it wasn't for the injuries I'd be ok with it.  

I wonder how much having a rookie QB has to do with this.  Trent knows he might have a little bit more leverage here because they know they REALLY need him to protect the kid.

• Like 1

I'd be okay with Trent going, but only if we get Scherff signed. Losing both our best linemen would be a huge setback.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just a thought...I remember there being reports during and after the draft that we were reaching out to other teams asking if they'd be willing to trade for any of our vets in a trade-up scenario.  Maybe Trent's name was brought up, it got back to him, and he took offence.

If this is true, then some good points made by some on twitter.  Trent has better leverage than ever.  Ty is gone.  And they are trying to protect a rookie QB. 

Restructure. Give him more guaranteed money, keep him around for three years with a low out in year three. It’s not my money and once we clear Norman, Smith and Reed off the books we’ll be in ok salary shape. Keeping Haskins upright and confident is key so we need our LT.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Restructure. Give him more guaranteed money, keep him around for three years with a low out in year three. It’s not my money and once we clear Norman, Smith and Reed off the books we’ll be in ok salary shape. Keeping Haskins upright and confident is key so we need our LT.

Agree.

Alternative view - trade him, pay Scherff and move him to tackle. Play the rookies at guard. Not sure Trent has a great amount of trade value though, 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe. May as well pay him more for 2 or 3 years as above.

Trent probably wants two years on good cash before the strike and him retiring early.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Lots of good tackles in the 2020 draft. Call his bluff. I realize he's the only starting-caliber tackle we've had on the roster the last few years, but at 31 and with injury-plagued seasons as of late, I'm not giving him a bucketload of money. There will be options.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agree.

Alternative view - trade him, pay Scherff and move him to tackle. Play the rookies at guard. Not sure Trent has a great amount of trade value though, 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe. May as well pay him more for 2 or 3 years as above.

Trent probably wants two years on good cash before the strike and him retiring early.....

The problem with this is that Scherff may want LT money instead of guard money and we can’t pay him unless we know he’s capable of holding down the fort. Our best bet is keeping Williams.

• Like 1