Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Well if he actually asked for a trade then I would say trade him.  His agent must feel he has maximum leverage since the Skins are short on Tackles.  His current annual pay may be less than the newest contracts but he has missed a lot of games on his current contract.  His agent knows that Trent's likelihood of getting another big contract is going to be much lower in two years. 

Trents not getting any younger or healthier but he is still an elite tackle.

He's out of contract though at the end of next season at $12.5M with per game roster bonus of $250K (so $16.5M total). His cap number this year and next is just over $14M. There might be away to add a couple of years to the deal, give him some new money and reduce his cap impact this year and next to create some room to add some talent next offseason.

I don't like extending players who are over 30 though and have injury history.

Since it was Rapoport I didn't take it fully seriously.  But the Hawksworth report makes me take it a little more seriously.  Still want to see what happens tomorrow or whatever since we don't know for sure that this is a fact.

But if it is, I'd trade him if they can.   He signed a monster contract in 2015 so just because some have surpassed him since that time -- he's unhappy?  That's assuming its about the year to year salary versus purely about an extension.  but my larger point is you can count on him to miss 25% of every season.  And  he is one violation away from a one year suspension.   He hasn't played a full season since 2013.  So they are supposed to think that things will get better as he goes deeper into his 30s?  

He's a great player but he's also an aging injury prone dude.   Again, this is if this is true.  I think there is a shot that it isn't true.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don't like extending players who are over 30 though and have injury history.

and a suspension or two.

I don't care if these guys smoke weed. It's not a PED. But the NFL still cares.

If the report is accurate....that's frustrating. 13 missed games the past 3 years. Any kind of deal would need clauses that involve staying on the field because they are already paying a lot for a QB who may never play again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he has been a great and loyal Redskin & has been the best LT in the game. But you can’t give a guy with his recent injury history and age a high paying new deal. The right thing is trade him and get something for him. 

No no hard feelings Trent you are the man but if this team is ever going to crawl out of misery it starts with taking emotion out of the decision. 

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he's holding out...he won't be at training camp.  So not much to go by in terms of juicy footage right?

Check the Hard Knocks with the Jets when Revis was holding out.

1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Didn’t HBO announce they were going with Detroit this year?

That's a rumor.  Just like there were rumors for the Skins and Raiders.  The Lions HC came out today and said he's heard nothing from Hard Knocks.

Just a thought...I remember there being reports during and after the draft that we were reaching out to other teams asking if they'd be willing to trade for any of our vets in a trade-up scenario.  Maybe Trent's name was brought up, it got back to him, and he took offence.

Restructure. Give him more guaranteed money, keep him around for three years with a low out in year three. It’s not my money and once we clear Norman, Smith and Reed off the books we’ll be in ok salary shape. Keeping Haskins upright and confident is key so we need our LT.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Restructure. Give him more guaranteed money, keep him around for three years with a low out in year three. It’s not my money and once we clear Norman, Smith and Reed off the books we’ll be in ok salary shape. Keeping Haskins upright and confident is key so we need our LT.

Agree.

Alternative view - trade him, pay Scherff and move him to tackle. Play the rookies at guard. Not sure Trent has a great amount of trade value though, 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe. May as well pay him more for 2 or 3 years as above.

Trent probably wants two years on good cash before the strike and him retiring early.....

Lots of good tackles in the 2020 draft. Call his bluff. I realize he's the only starting-caliber tackle we've had on the roster the last few years, but at 31 and with injury-plagued seasons as of late, I'm not giving him a bucketload of money. There will be options.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agree.

Alternative view - trade him, pay Scherff and move him to tackle. Play the rookies at guard. Not sure Trent has a great amount of trade value though, 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe. May as well pay him more for 2 or 3 years as above.

Trent probably wants two years on good cash before the strike and him retiring early.....

The problem with this is that Scherff may want LT money instead of guard money and we can’t pay him unless we know he’s capable of holding down the fort. Our best bet is keeping Williams.

Archived