Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

7 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I just keep thinking of the News the other day of the 911 1st Responders on the Hill asking for *some* help in covering their medical bills. Guys on a City Salary who ran into collapsing buildings KNOWING of all the chemicals and asbestos in  the air that cause cancer. The construction people knee deep in that toxic crap...and then I read this *stuff* about how much risk these players take and NEED to be compensated for that RISK... Just Sayin

This is extremely unrelated. Discussions on why noble and necessary professions like teachers and firefighters make less than actors and pro athletes is like freshman year macroeconomics stuff. It really has nothing to do with this discussion, but it's easy fodder for people who can't understand why Tom Cruise "deserves" to be paid so much more than that brave cop or that really influential English teacher someone had in 10th grade that set a kid on the right path.

11 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

But really, how many millions does one need for God's sake.... playing professional ball is decided at a young age...NFL should be a play at your own risk thing they should somehow take half of all money made buy players and pay teachers more I know this might be a head-scratcher sorry..

10 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I just keep thinking of the News the other day of the 911 1st Responders on the Hill asking for *some* help in covering their medical bills. Guys on a City Salary who ran into collapsing buildings KNOWING of all the chemicals and asbestos in  the air that cause cancer. The construction people knee deep in that toxic crap...and then I read this *stuff* about how much risk these players take and NEED to be compensated for that RISK... Just Sayin

My wife is a teacher.  She joined a profession that she loved and in which she is very talented.  It happens to be teaching, it happens to pay what it pays.  Just like "summers off" sound like bull**** for people with 12-month jobs, like myself, she told me, "Well, I picked teaching.  You didn't.  You knew your job didn't have 'summers off', so why are you mad at me?"  She won.  She always wins.  That's how I stay married.

Anyway, those who do a job that the vast majority of people can't do and the vast majority of people love will get paid WAY more.  That's just how it works.  I don't know if you guys are new to capitalism or something, but you want to be paid the most that you can make, right?  You have food, water, and medicine.  What else do people need?  It's the same thing.  If I could push to get another seven or eight figures and didn't do so, then I wouldn't be selfless; I'd be stupid.

Same as the bull**** "There are kids starving in Africa, how could you throw that food away?!"  Well, are you going to take the last three chips on my plate and mail it to them?  Are you going to give your money to teachers (please do thx) or first responders?  Then why should they?

19 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Anyway, those who do a job that the vast majority of people can't do and the vast majority of people love will get paid WAY more.  That's just how it works.

So, I'm going to quibble with this. Most people can not teach. Rather, they can teach to the level I can play football. I can run routes. I can block. I can catch. I can punt. There is nothing on the football field that is done that I can't do. Now, I am not as big as pro players and for the most part I am not as fast or as strong. Likewise, there are elite teachers out there. These teachers do not get paid elite money, but the idea that anyone can teach is a fallacy. Hell, as someone who matriculated through the public school system, I would say that there are many teachers who can't teach. In fact, it is possible many of my teachers were drafted by Vinny Cerrato. 

We deify celebrity. We deify athletes. As a society, we have chosen to value and compensate actors and athletes to a degree that is often ridiculous. This is even more true of athletes and actors who turn out to be talentless hacks or lazy bums. Was Albert Haynesworth so elite at Fed Ex Field that he warranted a 100 million dollars? 

But to my major point... As a society, we are taught to disrespect and undervalue our teachers. We should stop doing that.

13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Allen didn't explain jack **** in that quote from him, unless you're one of about 3 people on earth who thought he did NOT know what Williams' issues were about. Not to mention, my post that you quoted said nobody from the team needed to argue or discuss the issues between Williams and the team in the press, and that nobody from the team should be breaking out press conferences whenever some twitter "report" starts getting bounced around. Allen didn't do either one. So you wasted a perfectly good "welp" lol...

"So chalk me up as one who does NOT believe Dan/Bruce/Trent needs to come out and 'splain things in any fashion. What they need is to work this out far away from the public eyes, and only approach the press once it's solved."

This is literally what Bruce Allen did last Friday, and I actually was glad that he at least commented on the situation.  Since you didn't want Bruce commenting on the issue publicly, and since most GM's don't discuss Twitter reports in the press (unlike Seattle's GM who quickly shot down the rumors of Wilson to NY) I would have thought this would have angered you.  This wasn't some random twitter report.  This was a report involving your team's best player and how shoddy the team's medical staff's reputation was.  For some reason, you don't think the GM should have came out and commented on it.  You would have rather had Gruden, yet again, take the brunt of the questions and heat.  Or Doug Williams.  BTW, where was Bruce after the Reuben Foster signing?  

13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

And for the record--can't believe anyone still thinks this--but Allen wasn't the one who said Scot's grandmother dying is why he was absent from the combine...Scot (or his wife) did. Scot has/had connections with the local press and when they contacted him he said the reason he was absent was he was dealing with issues concerning his grandmother's death. Allen only said he was taking care of personal issues, which could cover a lot of stuff including drinking and infidelity.  It was only later during an interview when Allen was asked about it that he echoed what Scot had said, possibly in order to not contradict him. So that wasn't Allen's "version of the truth", it was Scot's.

So when is Scot returning to the Skins "just as soon as things are handled"?  Or how Scot was fired less than a week after this interview?  

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/redskins-bruce-allen-addresses-scot-mccloughan-reports-kirk-cousins/

Weird how Bruce talked about issues publicly after some "twitter reports" started saying that Scot was sent home from the combine for drinking.  I have no idea why you continue to defend Allen and this front office at just about every turn.  This wasn't just some Jason Reid level of hatred for the team.  Multiple people who have covered this team have all echoed the same things about Allen over and over again.  

15 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Rational logical and positive homer checking in.

I bolded above where the disconnect may be. There are some fans, who believe it or not, view football as a form of entertainment. They don’t understand or appreciate how everything Redskins related is dumped on and eviscerated before the real story comes out.

Those like yourself who choose to constantly grind the axe based solely off of past transgressions and history before deciphering what’s actually happening I would venture to guess are like that in real life. Maybe not I dunno. Doesn’t mean you lose sleep over the team or that anyone is even saying that. 

You just can't help yourself and had to make my point for me.  You are infamous for making things personal.  Your trademark is to insert some type of negative reference to how people are in real life.  I'm not quite sure why you are so obsessed with how people you'll never meet are in real life.

I’m sure that not many lose sleep over the Redskins. But when it comes to entertainment and fandom, there will be some who don’t understand such negative outlooks. Especially when the present is not nearly the train wreck that is presented around here. Though that’s cooled quite a bit with our most recent off season. I guess I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand about that? Why is it that a wait and see or more leveled outlook treated as such a homeristic view? You act as if people are predicting Super Bowls or saying we are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don’t see much of that if at all on here.

The homeristic view I was referring to had nothing to do with homers predicting Super Bowls. I think you know good and well that's not what I meant but it strengthens your stance to argue against something nobody said. A common tactic of yours.  It's about the very few of you left that continue to go to bat for the suits in Ashburn.  There is almost always some type of backhanded compliment or insult to your opposition about how sad our lives must be, or that we're sheep, or whatever else.  

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, I'm going to quibble with this. Most people can not teach. Rather, they can teach to the level I can play football. I can run routes. I can block. I can catch. I can punt. There is nothing on the football field that is done that I can't do. Now, I am not as big as pro players and for the most part I am not as fast or as strong. Likewise, there are elite teachers out there. These teachers do not get paid elite money, but the idea that anyone can teach is a fallacy. Hell, as someone who matriculated through the public school system, I would say that there are many teachers who can't teach. In fact, it is possible many of my teachers were drafted by Vinny Cerrato. 

We deify celebrity. We deify athletes. As a society, we have chosen to value and compensate actors and athletes to a degree that is often ridiculous. This is even more true of athletes and actors who turn out to be talentless hacks or lazy bums. Was Albert Haynesworth so elite at Fed Ex Field that he warranted a 100 million dollars? 

But to my major point... As a society, we are taught to disrespect and undervalue our teachers. We should stop doing that.

I'm not saying that teachers are valued as much as they should be.

I'm saying that the market dictates what someone gets paid.  It's the employee's responsibility to get as much money out of her/his employer as possible; it's the employer's responsibility to get as much productivity for as little as possible.  Teacher, player, social worker (me), middle management, military, firefighter, police officer, landlord, quarterbacks coach, everything that doesn't involve self-employment in a non-contract field. 

Morality and how it should be is a separate issue that is irrelevant to the topic itself, even though it should be all that matters.  We don't live in "should be."

I didn't mean to start a debacle...my mom was a teacher in the special ed class for 30+ years..from California to here...I personally don't know a single person who is a teacher I think my cousin is but we don't stay in contact...

Maybe I went the wrong way about saying that the difference from even the eighties to now is amazing...ughhhhhh there are no where near the amount of players that play in the NFL for fun as there were from the seventies and eighties...I know I know times have changed..these players deserve the money they get paid all the work and effort time and everything the risk the health issues that come with playing even long after the career is over but I don't like the attitude I see with the players...

The little bit of news I do see(good morning America,updates from my wife on the absolutely horrible Facebook)I see teachers are way under paid and just wonder how to part with a huge chunk of the money the NFL generates and divy it out to teachers salaries...idk, i know I sound crazy, but not trying to argue with anyone round here lol

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Are you going to give your money to teachers (please do thx) or first responders?  Then why should they?

If I was a high paid athlete.. Rodgers,Brees, Wentz,A Donald ummm just trying to think of some very high paid athletes and even some that are slightly below those, I would find a way to make sure a certain percentage of my income however it worked went to teachers salaries not just in my community but across the country and first responders, police officers and firefighters..   I have no idea what it's like to make big money but if I had Tom Brady kind of money or the owner from the Seahawks that passed away type of money I would most certainly make sure that my children and their children would still work for a living and wouldn't try to purchase/start a bizzilion businesses..I'd give to those who deserve it as much as I if not more..

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm not saying that teachers are valued as much as they should be.

I'm saying that the market dictates what someone gets paid.  It's the employee's responsibility to get as much money out of her/his employer as possible; it's the employer's responsibility to get as much productivity for as little as possible.  Teacher, player, social worker (me), middle management, military, firefighter, police officer, landlord, quarterbacks coach, everything that doesn't involve self-employment in a non-contract field. 

Morality and how it should be is a separate issue that is irrelevant to the topic itself, even though it should be all that matters.  We don't live in "should be."

This is a really interesting conversation - The socio-economics of professions. Not directed at you but here are some thoughts - and I promise to bring this back to football. 

We do in some ways choose our professions but not always. I totally agree with whoever said not all people can be teachers. And the top teachers in their fields do get compensated. But in general I also agree that teachers are undervalued and over-worked. But isn't some of that by design? And while I can choose football as a profession - I can't learn my way or be taught to be 6' 5" 280lbs and run a 4.7 40. Or throw a ball 70 yds on a dime. Or be able to block 300lb linemen without ending up in traction. Or have a 30 inch vertical leap. Those are just a few examples. So yea, you have some leeway but not everyone can do anything.  

So for teachers, let's say we start paying teachers at the entry level $400,000/yr. Do we think that will improve education, make no impact, or make education worse? Where I am going with this is that there is an argument to be made that the best teachers don't do it for the money. They do it for the challenge and the love of teaching (yes I knows it's probably a bit altruistic, but having been a teacher myself and coming from a family of teachers at different levels, I am at least coming from a place of some experience). If it becomes such a high paying jobs the profession will begin to attract those that are not really in love with teaching but they just want a check and are good enough to pass but not truly good teachers. Now fair enough, you already have some of that, but I can see it getting worse. And I am not at all saying teachers should not get more. My example was extreme. But where is the line? Is 25% more? 50% more? 200% more before they start to attract those that just want a check? I have no idea but it is reasonable question.  

How does this apply to football - there are definitely guys that love the game and some that just want a check. And that big check drives them to maybe be better. Why would that not happen in teaching? The difference? There are a very limited number of spots where you get paid to play football. The sheer numbers of teaching positions means that there will be a much greater number of people who just want a check and could care less about your child's education but are Ok enough to get the check. Also, in fairness to players, you have a very limited of time to make the money you can make. And again, not everyone can pick that profession and be even mildly successful. There is an extremely small number of opportunities. Football (or any sport) takes certain physical attributes that cannot be learned or taught. If I am reasonably intelligent and work hard I can teach myself certain topics well enough to teach others. But you still need to be a good teacher to truly do a good job, which brings me back to the people just getting a check. Much easier to do that in teaching as there are exponentially more opportunities. 

Now, the real issue I see with fans and player salaries - they are more than willing to turn on a player instantly who asks for more money but are willing to turn a blind eye to the owners, and even defend them, who undervalue players and take advantage of fans who want to see the game - to the tune of $100Ms. Also, what is wrong with asking for a raise? Have you never asked for a raise? Or left a job because you felt they did not value you? And to hell with the contracts. Some of you are so stuck on that you can't see anything else. Contracts are renegotiated in all facets of business all the time. Things change. You can bet the team would have no issue with coming to Trent to renegotiate if they felt he was not worth it - or release him and take the dead cap hit. The issue is people see those big numbers and think - man **** them. Look at all that money and they want more! But it's all relative. Those numbers in relative terms and when you consider they have a very limited amount of time to earn that money are still high but not to the extent some take it. Further if they are the reason that franchise is making more money shouldn't they be compensated? The market will decide if they are right. 

If Trent asked for more money, if he is worth it - or he just had good timing (no problem with that at all) then he will get paid. If not, the team will move on. And I have no problem with either of the decisions. If the team decides he is not worth what he wants and moves on, (unless it's something ridiculous like he wanted the next two years guaranteed and that's it), then I have no problem at all with either the team or Trent. If they pay him I have no problem with him or the team. 

In the end, he asked for a raise. Either he is worth it and gets the raise, or he is not and he doesn't. When the decision is made everyone moves on. 

I don't believe in asking for raises..never have..never will.. if I don't receive a raise after 6 months at a place I look for any and everything to do to improve my performance to get a raise... Any place I've ever worked I have always received a raise within 3 to 6 months of working there....a couple places I got multiple raises with in six months

As far as Trent Williams, if he's just asking for a raise .ummm for the team to re work his contract so he gets more than well I hope he gets a raise he definitely deserves it, he has completely served his purpose at the position he's played without any griping just comes into work and plays hard.

A lot of excellent points btw goskins10..thanks for the post

24 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

In the end, he asked for a raise. Either he is worth it and gets the raise, or he is not and he doesn't. When the decision is made everyone moves on. 

IF that is all that was done..why claim the medical issue. Why did this get into the Media...I already posted they should do some compensation adjustment for Trent. I'd like to know who (whose camp) put the medical stuff out there if this was only about Money. Who created the flap....or was it the media making chit up. That is not a fair negotiation IMHO

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

IF that is all that was done..why claim the medical issue. Why did this get into the Media...I already posted they should do some compensation adjustment for Trent. I'd like to know who (whose camp) put the medical stuff out there if this was only about Money. Who created the flap....or was it the media making chit up. That is not a fair negotiation IMHO

This was already discussed.. he brought up the medical issue to make himself look better in the court of public opinion so he doesn't look like a douche asking for more money on top of an already big contract he has. This was ALWAYS about the money..

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Hmmm.  Fair? Who said anything about being fair? Negotiations are rarely fair. You use whatever leverage you have. Not to mention the medical could be quite valid. And it could have been an ex player who threw that out there. May have not been either side. I do not think the media made it up, but they could have blown it out of proportion. Or they could have blown the money out of proportion and the medical is the real issue. We may never know. 

In the end, they come to agreement or they do not. Either way we all move on. It's just business. 

I suspect Trent does not want a raise. He wants guaranteed money to be subjected to what I think he would allege is substandard care.  He doesn't care about being the highest paid, he cares about getting paid period.  If he got sick from a non football illness we can cut him and he gets nothing.

i see Trent is having minor surgery to clean up from his surgery... some things may never change around here.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

So for teachers, let's say we start paying teachers at the entry level $400,000/yr. Do we think that will improve education, make no impact, or make education worse?

I think there's a good counter argument for this. I think we all know some people who would make marvelous teachers, who love teaching, and have those intangible qualities (patience, empathy, ability to view a problem from multiple perspectives etc.) that can't be or are very difficult to teach who have chosen not to even consider that profession because the money made it a nonstarter. How many better candidates would join the pool if there were better compensation and if it were a position valued in our society? That's hard to gauge though a lot of studies have looked at the question.

On the flip side, how many pro athletes don't have those elite qualities and yet make it anyway through grit, determination, moxie and hustle. I bet there are posters on Extremeskins who are better physical specimens and better athletes than Mason Foster. I bet there are people who can throw farther (and more accurately) than Colt McCoy or any number of third string bench warmers making half a million per year. So, not every pro athlete is a demigod just as not every teacher is a replaceable cog. That said, Trent Williams is a rare human being with an amazing blend of physical prowess, size, speed, and pain tolerance. That's why he got an elite contract for his position.

As to your other argument, I bet a hell of a lot of pro athletes would play sports even if they were being offered 30k a year. They are drawn to that profession the way others are drawn to teaching, law enforcement, the law, music, etc. I think the love of the game would make them put on cleats even if the money wasn't there. So, it goes back to what society values and what it chooses to pay for.

But, as I think everyone is probably thinking... this is more of a Tailgate discussion.

Colt McCoy is only a top-50 NFL QB, but that makes him a top-50 QB in the world. Your perspective on this is all jacked up. 

You are delusional if you don't think Colt McCoy would wreck nearly anyone here in nearly anything athletic. You need a shift in perspective if you think a couple posters here being able to run a 4.9 40 while being muscular has anything to do with making them comparable to a guy like Mason Foster...who isn't even a good NFL player and yet would be in the top .00001% of NFL linebackers on ES lol. (leaving some room for there to secretly be a pro athlete here, otherwise I'm being conservative). 

Guys wash out of pre-camp NFL tryouts after a half dozen drills who go on to dominate their friends in flag football the rest of their lives. Even the guys we consider "unathletic" blue collar try-hards are only that in comparison to the freaks they play against--they are still incredible athletes when compared to the common population. 

Less than .05% of D1 college football players will ever take a snap in the NFL. It's not comparable to someone being able to teach. 

Of course there are great teachers out there. But you don't need to be a top 1% performer to teach, and that's why the comparison is idiotic. Bad teachers fill our public education systems because it is an attainable career. You don't have to be good to be a teacher in some areas, you have to be willing to do the job. Which is a shame for the great ones. But there is no shortage of people qualified and able to teach, whether they'd be great or not. So there's no premium placed on that career. 

If there was a line, where you are either an elite top 1% teacher in the nation or couldn't be a teacher at all, due to the (huge) market both demanding and being willing to pay for only the best...that kind of dynamic could create similarly impressive incomes, maybe.

But that doesn't exist. A huge portion of the population "can" be a teacher, and those types get hired everyday.

21 hours ago, Burgold said:

As a teacher myself, I 100% agree with everything you've put here - great points and echoed in this country too. I once had to mediate a meeting between a teacher and parents who were upset that she had disciplined their kid with detention. She claimed the kid had been disruptive.... the reality was the kid sneezed. Not on purpose. Just sneezed. She argued the toss that it didn't matter whether he meant to disrupt the lesson, the fact was that the lesson had been disrupted. I sat there for about 5 minutes before cancelling the detention, apologising to parents and having a quiet chat with her once they'd left. Many teachers definitely cannot teach unfortunately.

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If there was a line, where you are either an elite top 1% teacher in the nation or couldn't be a teacher at all, due to the (huge) market both demanding and being willing to pay for only the best...that kind of dynamic could create similarly impressive incomes, maybe.

I do agree with ConnSkins post too though - makes a lot of sense. 

14 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think there's a good counter argument for this. I think we all know some people who would make marvelous teachers, who love teaching, and have those intangible qualities (patience, empathy, ability to view a problem from multiple perspectives etc.) that can't be or are very difficult to teach who have chosen not to even consider that profession because the money made it a nonstarter. How many better candidates would join the pool if there were better compensation and if it were a position valued in our society? That's hard to gauge though a lot of studies have looked at the question.

Yes and most of those studies have concluded that significantly raises teachers salaries would not impact the talent attracted enough to for anyone to really make that case. Hence teacher salaries stay low. The bigger point being there are more people that will go after money than are staying away due to lower wages.

On the flip side, how many pro athletes don't have those elite qualities and yet make it anyway through grit, determination, moxie and hustle. I bet there are posters on Extremeskins who are better physical specimens and better athletes than Mason Foster. I bet there are people who can throw farther (and more accurately) than Colt McCoy or any number of third string bench warmers making half a million per year. So, not every pro athlete is a demigod just as not every teacher is a replaceable cog. That said, Trent Williams is a rare human being with an amazing blend of physical prowess, size, speed, and pain tolerance. That's why he got an elite contract for his position.

This is nice fantasy that fans have. Whiel some players may not have the same level of elite athleticism as some other players and out work them, they are all world class athletes - including the scrap heap of guys rejected. I know its a nice story to hear about a guy who works his way up. But make no mistake, they are incredible athletes compared to the average person. When you have the top 2000 people in the world in a single profession, the level of athlete that even gets a look is extraordinary. What fans see is the contrast from say the top 40 or 50 to the bottom 100 or so and see some great disparity. But they were all born with world class athleticism and natural apbility. Not to mention, again you can "moxie" your way to a 4.4 40 or being 6' 7" 300 lbs and still run a 4.8 40.

As to your other argument, I bet a hell of a lot of pro athletes would play sports even if they were being offered 30k a year. They are drawn to that profession the way others are drawn to teaching, law enforcement, the law, music, etc. I think the love of the game would make them put on cleats even if the money wasn't there. So, it goes back to what society values and what it chooses to pay for.

Of course they would - and I said exactly that. The difference is the sheer number of opportunities. When there are only 2016 positions, you can easily weed out the pretenders. With the millions of teachers it is much harder to be selective.

But, as I think everyone is probably thinking... this is more of a Tailgate discussion.

As far as it pertains to football and is directly related to this issue, I kept it here. Could be in the tailgate but this nothing political - at least I do not see it that way and do not intend on going there. This is more a discussion of societal norms/expectations and how they apply to football. But I can be done here. 

I just found it a really good off-season topic, especially given the issue with Trent. It seemed to be directly related.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:16 AM, clskinsfan said:

I can get on board with this part for sure. Putting rookies on a scale is pure robbery to them. I am actually shocked they havent teamed up and sued over it in all honesty. The league basically colluded to keep rookie salaries low. On top of that if you are a first rounder the team gets a 5th year option on you. Now that 5th year is more in line with what a fair salary should be. But considering the average NFL career is 3 seasons. It basically prevents the vast majority of them from ever testing the market and finding out what they are really worth.

This was collectively bargained and agreed to by the union. And there is a lot of merit to the belief that the bulk of the money should be going to the guys who have proven themselves where in the past Jamarcus Russel would be earning much more than a Pro Bowl player and that was not fair either.  

Archived