Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

12 minutes ago, carex said:

trading him for nothing is punishing us and trying to avoid that is why you keep him.  And if he sits out, he won't be making that money.

I'm against trading him for day 3 picks at this point.  Day 2 next year or player for player

So if another team offered a player-for-player trade for TW, with the Skins receiving Logan Ryan and Jason Peters on one-year deals, and threw in a 5th and 7th in this years draft, would you take it or not?  Because that's what we're talking about.  Get what you can get and use TWs $13M salary to acquire free agents.

8 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

So if another team offered a player-for-player trade for TW, with the Skins receiving Logan Ryan and Jason Peters on one-year deals, and threw in a 5th and 7th in this years draft, would you take it or not?  Because that's what we're talking about.  Get what you can get and use TWs $13M salary to acquire free agents.

they wouldn't even need to throw in the 5th and 7th if the player they offered was starter level.  I'm against just sending him for picks that might not even make the team

in fact part of why I was willing to trade him for day 3 picks yesterday is with the idea we could then package them with our picks to move up

Edited by carex
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Something has to give.

No team has room for 16 rookies and 13 day 3 picks on their roster and certainly not a playoff team.

As ridiculous as this is getting I see a trade happening to the viking where we trade trent and our early 4th round pick to the vikings for a haul of later picks.

They got an ot that is a solid fit for their offense.  Why would they go back and offer anything for trent?

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Honestly I don't think any team wants to pay what he wants.  And they just happen to be in a real jam with money right now.

Makes sense..thanks man

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

He's going to wind up being our starting LT and then get "hurt".

Can't wait for that non sense to unfold. 

Of course. Which will hurt his value even more.

I would sign some free agent OTs after the draft. You never know, maybe there’s a gem waiting. I just wouldn’t trust to rely on Trent all season.

The worst thing for Trent Williams' camp is that the Redskins don't need the cap space. If the team wants to play hardball if they want to swallow the cap hit they can and it won't really hurt them. I remember Snyder once saying about an unhappy Lauvernious Coles that he would buy him a wide screen TV and he could sit in his basement and watch it all season. This was right before he was traded for Santana Moss.

I don't advocate being petty or vindictive, but I also don't advocate being made a sucker. Williams and his agent have really played their hands poorly. You can see it in the fan base. Last year, most people were on Trent's side and saw this as the last straw for Bruce Allen. Now because Williams won (Bruce was fired. The training staff was fired.) and his position hasn't changed at all, the fan base has turned against him. He said he loves and will always be grateful to Dan Snyder. He said, he loves the Redskins and wants to retire here. He has no reason to bare animosity towards Ron Rivera or the training staff, but instead of starting over with a clean slate, he still wants out... but he doesn't just want out he wants out in a way that screws his former team.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

They got an ot that is a solid fit for their offense.  Why would they go back and offer anything for trent?

They got a rookie late second round draft pick.

There's no reason they couldn't bring trent in and give him time to learn while being a backup.

They're a good example of a team that is one or two players away so the chance to upgrade at such a critical position is something they will probably consider. 

Edited by redskinss

That said, I was surprised by how little drop off there seemed to be from Trent Williams to Donald Penn. Maybe Trent is great. Maybe Trent was great. Clearly, there's some hype he just doesn't live up to.

Last week was an insanely long one for me, between work, quarantining at home with 2 young kids.  So I put my daughter down at about 8 and fell asleep and woke up this morning at about 10, and missed all of the Trent drama.

So, what I can gather is the 'Skins had some type of a deal in place with the Vikings, Trent somehow said that he didn't want to play for the Vikings, or killed the deal in some way, the Vikings moved on and selected a tackle in the 2nd, which basically kills that as a possible landing spot, and now the 'Skins are still stuck with Williams.  

Is that about right?  

If so, then here is what I do at this point: Don't trade him.  He can come and play for the 'Skins on his current contract or he can not report and sit out. If you play, and play well, you can leave at the end of the year.  And then tell him if he fakes an injury to collect the money and not play, that's fine, we'll franchise you and see what you have in 2021.  

We're not going to release you, so you can either play for us or nobody at this point.  

This is ridiculous.  He's trying to just get released so he can sign a new contract and not have to play under his current deal.  You can't just release him.  

The other option is to trade him for any pick, 5th or whatever, to another team who doesn't mind dealing with this situation for a year, whether he approves of the deal or not.  That gets him out of your hair.  If that is more beneficial than getting value, fine.  

• Like 1

Sheehan is speculating the Tunsill deal impinged on trading Trent.  He thinks that's how the conflicting stories about Trent wanting to go to Minny but then not at the 11th hour marry up.  Once Tunsill got the 22 million a year, perhaps Trent asked for more and Minny said no. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The Vikings apparently stated on the record "Williams made it known "he rather not go to the Vikings.""

I believe the 'Skins more than Trent at this point.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan is speculating the Tunsill deal impinged on trading Trent.  He thinks that's how the conflicting stories about Trent wanting to go to Minny but then not at the 11th hour marry up.  Once Tunsill got the 22 million a year, perhaps Trent asked for more and Minny said no. 

That's a theory that fits the facts. 

• Like 2

If that report is true, then ya I'm wrong, no way he goes to the Vikings at this point.

This whole thing is so ridiculous. 

I think I'm in the "let him sit and rot" camp now.

Let him get away with this and it's open season on our front office. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Vikings apparently stated on the record "Williams made it known "he rather not go to the Vikings.""

I believe the 'Skins more than Trent at this point.  

That's a theory that fits the facts. 

The dispute isn't that Trent didn't want to go to the Vikings.  The issue is at some point he did (some claim) so what changed?  

Trent needs to shelf the idea of getting a contract. That's not happening. He needs to just ball out this year, whether its here or somewhere else, and try to sign a new deal next year. Nobody is going to give a 30+ year old who sat out a year and has an injury history a long term deal after also giving up draft picks to get him.

I am amazed that people think we would still get a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2021; if some desperate team needs a LT after theirs get injured.

If a team needs a LT due to injury; at best it would be a third rounder or 2 picks.

Edited by Rdskns2000
2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They got a rookie mid round draft pick.

There's no reason they couldn't bring trent in and give him time to learn while being a backup.

They're a good example of a team that is one or two players away so the chance to upgrade at such a critical position is something they will probably consider. 

Trent wants an extension at the top of the market for OTs.  That takes away the financial gain in having a rookie starter.  They already have a veteran, who already knows their playbook, with no more guaranteed money left on his contract.  Or they could pick up Jason Peters who played for 3.5M last year.  Plus, Zimmer isn't the type that puts up with drama for very long.  That's why Diggs will be enjoying playing in Buffalo.

That bridge has been blown up.

• Like 1

I love it that a reporter asked Trent that question  😀

Asked Saturday if he is worried he won’t be traded, Williams replied: “No.”

Late Friday, Redskins Coach Ron Rivera sounded frustrated by the Williams saga, which has gone from Rivera hoping he could convince Williams to return to the team, after he missed all of last season in a dispute with former team president Bruce Allen, to actively shopping Williams.

“At the end of the day, guys, there’s no rush, there’s no hurry, we have opportunities and we will continue to keep working on it,” Rivera said in a video conference call 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/25/trent-williams-trade-vikings-fell-apart-he-says-he-didnt-block-it/?utm_campaign=wp_redskins&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1

Im find with trading for futures if that's one of the few ways we can get this done for acceptable value, especially since it will add assets for a run at Fields or Lawrence. If it's day 3 picks, I'd just push them to '22 as I think there are legit reasons to fear some players may red shirt '20 if the college season is cancelled. 

• TK locked this topic