Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Just now, Califan007 said:

How would they know that if nobody has offered anything higher than a 4th round pick?

If you figure most teams have TW graded above every rookie OT available in the draft, then you might believe teams ought to be willing to pay a lot more than just a 4th. So you try to re-anchor to a higher price and hope you still have a team or two hanging around trying to make something work. End of the day, you know which teams need a left tackle.

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My point wasn't about the validity of the beat writers' reports...it was about the logic behind the Skins leaking a story that someone is now offering them a 1st round pick for Trent in order to get those other teams that were offering a 4th rounder to up their offers. There is too large a gap between 4th round and 1st round...if a team felt a 4th was good enough for Trent they would likely tell themselves that Trent is out of their price range now and look elsewhere. It's like an auction where you bid $1,000 and another person bids $1,500, and then someone is planted in the audience to bid $10,000 at the last minute...more than likely you're not gonna bid anymore lol. And you're definitely not gonna bid $5,000, because what's the point. Basically, I don't think the 1st round talk was a leak by anyone related to the Redskins. It doesn't make any sense to do so.

I agree, I don't really see the first rounder as a leak period.  That was just a media figure speculating on it.   I missed the segment but if he said something like a source told me that a team offered a first, that would be different.  But if its just hey they should get a first for him.  there have been others who have said the same and it means nothing to the bottom line.

As for the Redskins leaking stuff, I suspect the J. Anderson tweets are leaked.  It behooves them to create the thought that they are multiple suitors for Trent. 

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If you figure most teams have TW graded above every rookie OT available in the draft, then you might believe teams ought to be willing to pay a lot more than just a 4th. So you try to re-anchor to a higher price and hope you still have a team or two hanging around trying to make something work. End of the day, you know which teams need a left tackle.

And no other front office exec is gonna figure this out, even though fans have? lol...

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I wouldn't worry about the bucs trading Donovan Smith to anyone for a pick, since he is slated to get 14.5 mil guaranteed in 2020 and is average at best.  If we traded TW to t bay, we would have to take d smith back since t bay couldn't afford both, but that would be doing them a favor.  Taking the 14.5 off their books would hopefully solidify a solid return for TW.

That being said, I haven't heard anything about t bay being interested in doing this.

Smith would be ideal for any team needing a one year stopgap because the team either didn’t draft an LT or drafts one that was projected more as a project. He can be cut after 2020 for a 0 dead cap hit. It’s really ideal for any team that is trying to transition someone into the role and they're not ready to start immediately. A lot of teams would be willing to give up a late round pick for that and TB would be more than ok with getting That number off the books if they can.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

And no other front office exec is gonna figure this out, even though fans have? lol...

Figure what out? I don't get it. If the offers you get for an asset are far below market value, you just wait for the pressure to build and create a competitive bidding environment. The draft is that. It's not like teams will hear this one media report and jump on the phone to give up a 1st, but as the draft takes shape and they're looking at roster gaps, price will naturally go up. Especially as OT's go off the board.

Personally, I'd be more than fine with Trent playing this year and letting his drafted replacement learn from him. If you get a fair deal, pull the trigger. Otherwise, plug our OWN hole at LT for the year. 

We don't how teams value Trent.   Some might be concerned about his age and injury history and some maybe not?  Some might think he's overvaluing himself as to money, some might think its fair.  Everyone has their own opinion.  Every team has their own potential alternative to Trent, etc.    Part of what makes the draft fun is we can all speculate on whatever but we don't know.   Some might think Wirfs is the next Trent (his measurable are very similar) and some might not.   Some might love the depth at LT in the draft, some might not.  On and on and on. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree, I don't really see the first rounder as a leak period.  That was just a media figure speculating on it.   I missed the segment but if he said something like a source told me that a team offered a first, that would be different.  But if its just hey they should get a first for him.  there have been others who have said the same and it means nothing to the bottom line.

As for the Redskins leaking stuff, I suspect the J. Anderson tweets are leaked.  It behooves them to create the thought that they are multiple suitors for Trent. 

Yeah, good point...I just assumed Dan Patrick said he had a source but, like you, I didn't listen lol...What Anderson said sounds very likely, and I (earlier today) tried to see what Donaldson said, if anything, and she basically said she doesn't have anything but the basic "things are ongoing". BTW, someone had mentioned that Donaldson grew to know Rivera's wife though something sports-related, like she was the coach of something local or something, and they suspected that through that friendship Donaldson now gets some inside info from Ron via his wife, which is why her hit-to-miss ratio seems to have grown.

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Figure what out? I don't get it. If the offers you get for an asset are far below market value, you just wait for the pressure to build and create a competitive bidding environment. The draft is that. It's not like teams will hear this one media report and jump on the phone to give up a 1st, but as the draft takes shape and they're looking at roster gaps, price will naturally go up. Especially as OT's go off the board.

Personally, I'd be more than fine with Trent playing this year and letting his drafted replacement learn from him. If you get a fair deal, pull the trigger. Otherwise, plug our OWN hole at LT for the year. 

Figure out that the "1st round pick offer" is hooey being floated by the Skins in hopes someone will up their offer.

43 minutes ago, dyst said:

Love how in the year Trent is available, happens to be a year with a deep LT draft class.

Even better is us having the #2 overall pick, in a weak QB draft class with teams not fighting to trade up.

Haha. But it can also be the year that we end up with our once in a generation player...

12 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I can't wait until this thread is re-titled to "OMGZ!! Trent Williams finally traded". It needs to end soon, I can't remember the last time it's taken so long to trade a player. 

Pretty sure the Cousins debacle went on for 71 years.

16 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I can't wait until this thread is re-titled to "OMGZ!! Trent Williams finally traded". It needs to end soon, I can't remember the last time it's taken so long to trade a player. 

Yeah all of us have paid our dues on this thread.  Painful.  It would feel great to end this. 😀

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Pretty sure the Cousins debacle went on for 71 years.

this one to me is wilder than the Kirk contract saga.  To me the wildest moment of the Kirk saga was the Bruce press release.  But this one IMO is a much bigger soap opera with more twists and turns and extending to multiple regimes. 

A long time ago, I said this thread would go on for 250 pages.  Boy, did I miss the mark on that one.

I'm going to make a very scientific and reasoned prediction.  It's based on years of fantasy football general management, where I have won numerous championships and done zero trades.

We get a 1st & 3th for TW & a 5th.

2 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

A long time ago, I said this thread would go on for 250 pages.  Boy, did I miss the mark on that one.

I'm going to make a very scientific and reasoned prediction.  It's based on years of fantasy football general management, where I have won numerous championships and done zero trades.

We get a 1st & 3th for TW & a 5th.

You missed the mark on pages and I’m guessing you’re gonna miss the mark on the compensation.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Love how in the year Trent is available, happens to be a year with a deep LT draft class.

Even better is us having the #2 overall pick, in a weak QB draft class with teams not fighting to trade up.

Weak QB class?????

Trade back with Miami 5-18-39 then use Trent plus the 18 to Cleveland for 10

5- Thomas, Simmons, Okudah 

10-Wirfs,Simmons,Becton,Lamb

39-BPA 

Miami gets there qb and still has #26 Cleveland gets Trent and still has #18 Redskins get two top ten picks (5&10) and there 2nd rounder back (hopefully    a TE they like )

Personally I’d bite the bullet draft Thomas at 5 and Wirfs at 10, boom bookend Tackles on 5 year rookie deals  extend Brandon and Chase OL is 4/5 done and locked up for 4-5 years.

It’s to bad we don’t have a second. To me using Trent to slide up a few picks seems like the easiest way for everyone to get value and save face. Having only the #2 and a third rounder makes it hard to work Trent into a deal instead of just being the deal.

The problem is Trent Williams's value has kind of been poisoned over the last season/offseason because of how everything went public and once it become clear he wanted out of here no matter what.  It doesn't mean he won't get traded, but the compensation isn't likely going to match the value Trent Williams brings to whatever team he goes to.  If all of this would have been done behind closed doors and it appeared the trade was merely a salary cap casualty/business move it could have been much different. 

4 minutes ago, Sean 3621 said:

39-BPA 

Miami gets there qb and still has #26 Cleveland gets Trent and still has #18 Redskins get two top ten picks (5&10) and there 2nd rounder back (hopefully    a TE they like )

Personally I’d bite the bullet draft Thomas at 5 and Wirfs at 10, boom bookend Tackles on 5 year rookie deals  extend Brandon and Chase OL is 4/5 done and locked up for 4-5 years.

It’s to bad we don’t have a second. To me using Trent to slide up a few picks seems like the easiest way for everyone to get value and save face. Having only the #2 and a third rounder makes it hard to work Trent into a deal instead of just being the deal.

it hurts me now to read any of these posts that suggests a trade back and not get chase young. I’m locked on one guy. Can Def be convinced on any of the others though 

13 minutes ago, Sean 3621 said:

39-BPA 

There’s no way we’re trading down and pass on a game changer like Chase Young!We would actually have teams game planning against our front four. Sweat,Young on the outside with Allen,Payne or Ioannidis that will be a very good front four.You don’t pass on a talent like Young.No thanks to any trades.

Archived