Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yep. My bet is someone leaked it to Patrick in hopes of pushing the Bucs or Browns into giving up a 1 for him.

I would be happy with a 3rd and change at this point. My guess is he's still a Redskin after the draft but gets moved sometime during the offseason for a player or 2021 pick that could have conditions that make it higher depending on playing time etc.

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

GIven beat writers were adamant last week we had not even been offered a 4th for Williams this offseason i'm struggling to see how that has gone to a first.

I often feel like our beat reporters do less critical thinking and more regurgitating what sources are telling them to parrot.

It NEVER made sense to me that Trent's value plummeted. It always felt like the media just had an agenda with Bruce (and btw, I am no Bruce fan).

Trent is an elite LT. You have multiple teams that have a need at the position. Competitive situation = bidding war, price goes up. It's fundamental supply & demand. Did I think we'd get a 1st rounder? Idk. I'm more knowledgeable about hockey in terms of pick value and being an armchair GM than football. But this idea that Trent would go for peanuts never made sense to me and I always knew his value would peak around the draft.

Let's face it - our beat guys hated Bruce and took every opportunity to act like he was the worst possible GM in sports. Bruce handled Cousins and Williams better than the media made him out to handle those situations, even if he didn't handle them all that well.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:22 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

JJ Halsell, agent, on 980 today, said he doesn't think the Redskins get a 2nd for Trent has some doubts they can get a third but sees it possible.  He and Sheehan talked about the rich draft for LTs among other things.

Mike Lombardi was on 106.7, saying he doesn't think they get a 2nd and he doesn't think they deserve to get a 2nd.  Citing among other things the 5th round compensation that they'd get for him otherwise.

Wow, I know its spilled milk but what a dummy Dan must feel like having listened to his buddy who depending on the sources at best had a first round offer last year and at worst a 2nd rounder for Trent.

The last couple of days is giving me the impression that the best we get for Trent is a 4th.  I hope that's wrong. 

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I often feel like our beat reporters do less critical thinking and more regurgitating what sources are telling them to parrot.

It NEVER made sense to me that Trent's value plummeted. It always felt like the media just had an agenda with Bruce (and btw, I am no Bruce fan).

Trent is an elite LT. You have multiple teams that have a need at the position. Competitive situation = bidding war, price goes up. It's fundamental supply & demand. Did I think we'd get a 1st rounder? Idk. I'm more knowledgeable about hockey in terms of pick value and being an armchair GM than football. But this idea that Trent would go for peanuts never made sense to me and I always knew his value would peak around the draft.

Let's face it - our beat guys hated Bruce and took every opportunity to act like he was the worst possible GM in sports. Bruce handled Cousins and Williams better than the media made him out to handle those situations, even if he didn't handle them all that well.

Depends on the writer. I think John Keim does a good job for example. But Trents value would logically go down from this time last year - he's a year older, has only one year left on his deal and has not played for a whole year and teams cant conduct a physical right now (NFL mandated no new physicals a couple of weeks ago so medical resources were not being used while Covid-19 is stretching resources). By all accounts we didn't get offered a first last year - why would that change this year?

But you are right if two or three teams decide they really want him the price could get jacked. But to a first? Nah.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

This might drive up the price for Trent.

Yeah. Good call. If there is a run on OT in the top 10 then teams like the Jets, Bucs, Broncos could have no chance at one of the top 4 OTs and maybe that's spurring some of the discussion for TW.

3. Dolphins - Thomas

4. Giants - Wills

8. Cards - Wirfs

10. Browns - Becton

All it takes is for someone like the Panthers to go OT and the Browns are SOL.

I do believe a 1st rounder is being talked about now but not before because before compensation dealt with this year's draft.  I believe any deal made now has to be contingent on a physical which leads me to believe it will for a 2021 draft pick.  Think about it.  For awhile now Skins have been on record saying they want compensation equal to a 2nd round pick.  General consensus is that  a   1 next year is worth a 2 this year.  Just a thought.  Could explain why their are rumors of higher draft picks?

45 minutes ago, carex said:

Even though I think he would be worth a 1st alone I would throw in our third if it helped us get the 14th pick, especially since we could trade that back for more

I'd be on board with this. 

It's similar to the move the Pats just made. They turned a 7th into a 4th by including a guy who had no intention of ever playing for New England again. 

If we can turn a 3rd (and TW) into a mid-1st round pick, I would do backflips. 

Disclaimer: I am not actually going to attempt a backflip. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah. Good call. If there is a run on OT in the top 10 then teams like the Jets, Bucs, Broncos could have no chance at one of the top 4 OTs and maybe that's spurring some of the discussion for TW.

3. Dolphins - Thomas

4. Giants - Wills

8. Cards - Wirfs

10. Browns - Becton

All it takes is for someone like the Panthers to go OT and the Browns are SOL.

yep interesting. You’ve also got the talk that the Browns are wanting to trade back to take Cleveland.

also, the story of us getting a first was combined with the statement we’d then use that pick on OL. Doesn’t exactly work as those OL will have gone....unless it’s a Jones/Jackson target later in the first..

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

This might drive up the price for Trent.

This.

i think Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills all go high... Which puts teams in the 8-12 range like the Cardinals, Jets, and Jags in position to get Okudah, Brown, or Simmons.

When the Tackle run occurs you'll some teams jump at the chance to add an elite prospect like the 3 above along with Trent Williams with their 2nd.

The other side of this coin are Tackle needy teams after 14. Do you overdraft the 2nd tier of Jones, Jackson, or Cleveland knowing they wont be there in the mid/late 2nd? Or do you trade the 2nd for Trent and take another really good prospect in the 1st.

I.E. Kinlaw, Henderson, Murray (Not really a fan of his, but oh well), Ruggs, etc.

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yep. My bet is someone leaked it to Patrick in hopes of pushing the Bucs or Browns into giving up a 1 for him.

If no teams were offering anything higher than a 4th for Trent, leaking that a team is now offering a 1st won't make any teams start offering a 1st as well to the Skins...it would make them stop offering anything to the Skins.

9 minutes ago, Timberob said:

I do believe a 1st rounder is being talked about now but not before because before compensation dealt with this year's draft.  I believe any deal made now has to be contingent on a physical which leads me to believe it will for a 2021 draft pick.  Think about it.  For awhile now Skins have been on record saying they want compensation equal to a 2nd round pick.  General consensus is that  a   1 next year is worth a 2 this year.  Just a thought.  Could explain why their are rumors of higher draft picks?

Doubt it. If Gronk can get a physical in retirement, I am certain that TW has had a physical ready to present pending a trade.

45 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What do ya do, invite a bunch of friends over and say "It's my Draft Party". so they're like "YEAH"

When they get there. you're like, "Surprise to you guys ! It's my birthday !"

I'm not that social.   I tell my wife I want pizza, wings and no kid/animal responsibilities while I drown myself in the draft.

Just now, jsharrin55 said:

I'm not that social.   I tell my wife I want pizza, wings and no kid/animal responsibilities while I drown myself in the draft.

Haha I am the same way. Although my fantasy league is doing a Teams meeting for the draft. I am interested to see how that goes down. Should be fun. But I am the same way, I prefer to watch in isolation with minimal distractions haha.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Doubt it. If Gronk can get a physical in retirement, I am certain that TW has had a physical ready to present pending a trade.

I thought the NFL suspended all physicals a couple of weeks ago?

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I thought the NFL suspended all physicals a couple of weeks ago?

I did read that Gronk did get a physical, but I don't know exactly how this exception was made

Here's one place, according to Rappoport, at the 45 second mark, but he does not go into detail. He just says Gronk has taken a physical

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000001110403/Rapoport-Brady-has-been-thinking-about-Gronk-unretiring-for-a-long-time

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I did read that Gronk did get a physical, but I don't know exactly how this exception was made

Be interesting to find that out - because with Trents history any team trading for him is going to want the deal to be contingent on his physical. That's why I think this lasts until after the draft when physicals can be done and is likely for a 2021 pick or a player exchange.

Just now, MartinC said:

Be interesting to find that out - because with Trents history any team trading for him is going to want the deal to be contingent on his physical. That's why I think this lasts until after the draft when physicals can be done and is likely for a 2021 pick or a player exchange.

I just edited my post include a source for the info

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

Hell, I just had my pre-scheduled physical this past Monday and I'm nobody!

Yeh its the optics from the NFL perspective, Its PR. When hospitals are struggling to get PPE equipment and there are mass burials in NY they don't really want teams using badly needed resources on confirming multi million dollar deals I guess.

@Timberob

why did you repost my post from a month ago about what Halsell said back then, don't see the relevance to today?

Is it about the post below?  If so, I don't think we got any idea yet whether they get a first rounder or high pick for him, yet.  So Halsell could end up right or wrong.  I'd love for him to be wrong.  but we got no idea. 

36 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

40 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

it makes sense for his value to slip for the simple fact that when it comes to NFL trades there's already so much reluctance, so much fear of something going wrong.  I bet that if a person with no NFL connections listened to trade discussions over a week they'd walk away thinking everyone involved needed to be medicated

Archived