Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Posted (edited)

I just don't see how teams can point to 5th round comp pick we would get for him.The cap space we have next year all but ensures we won't be in the comp pick business next year.If we can't get something similar to what the Broncos got for Sanders we should keep him until a contending team at the trade deadline gets hungry.

Edited by Ghedrick

I think there will be a trade for Williams so staying optimistic.  Some teams have a lot of picks and can afford to give up a second round pick for him.

The 49ers have two first round picks for example.  They will not go for Williams but there are teams out there who could insert him as a starter for this season.

If Skins accept a lower round pick for Williams then I will be an unhappy and upset fan.  This problem is a good test for our Acting General Manager and Rivera.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I'd be much happier with a 2021 2nd than a 2020 3rd or 4th.

If there is no college season this year, a 2020 3rd will far more valuable than a 2021 2d. Heck the 4th may be more valuable.  That said the 2022 draft picks will be far more valuable than the norm. I'd target 2020 or 2022 picks and stay away from 2021 entirely.

Nothing will happen. Trent will be on the roster going into training camp. If we trade him this year; we will have to wait and see how injuries play out.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Nothing will happen. Trent will be on the roster going into training camp. If we trade him this year; we will have to wait and see how injuries play out.

This is my fear as well.  But I would prefer this then them take a lot lesser than they want just to get rid of him.  I'm gonna be ticked if he's moved on draft day for a ham sandwich.

Geez, please let the rumors be true and get that guy outta here. A 2nd would add so much flexibility if they decided to trade down a bit and add an extra 4th or 5th in this draft.

I wouldn't complain about a 3rd this year and a 5th next year either tho.

Here are teams with multiple picks in rounds 2 and 3 that are rumored to be interested:

cleveland 2x3rd

Vegas 2x1st and 2x3rd

Miami 3x1st, 2x2nd and 1x3rd (14 total picks!! 8 picks in the top 153)

Minny 2x1st, 1x2nd and 2x3rd

New england 3x3rd

Jets 1x2nd, 2x3rd

Seattle 2x2nd 1x3rd

Of these teams, Miami and Minnesota have by far the most draft capital and can afford to deal a pick or two. There are a combined 26 picks between the two teams, and they have the flexibility to add more by trading down.

Hopefully one or both decide to address other positions in the draft and decide to part with a few picks. I have a hard time seeing Minnesota draft 12 players that will make the roster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Here are teams with multiple picks in rounds 2 and 3 that are rumored to be interested:

I wouldn’t discount Jax who have 3x 4ths to barter with. And they are sniffing around Andy Dalton. So that opens things right up for them with their 2 first rounders. 

I’m still hoping for a 2+4

Posted (edited)

It would be idiotic to take a guy Trent's age with his contract demands, injury history, and lack of recent playing time over a premium LT prospect on a 4-5 year rookie deal. Shows ignorance about building a successful roster to argue otherwise, the talent comparison doesn't exist in a vacuum.

But that's why the asking price isn't a top-5 pick, obviously.

Just hate how those McCloughan/Anderson tweets don't take any context into consideration. 0/32 NFL teams would take Trent over their top LT prospect in this draft and commenting on the situation as if it exists in a vacuum with no age/contract/injury/time out of the league concerns just dumbs down the conversation for no reason. 

The realistic and relevant argument you could make would be to say "any top 1st round prospect at another position PLUS Trent for the cost of a 2nd or 3rd >> Any 1st round LT PLUS the player you'd draft with that 2nd or 3rd." That's at least arguable. But that's not how they choose to frame their comments on Trent's talent so you can't take it seriously. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Damn right, a 2+4 is my minimum asking price too. 

My minimum asking price in ten 1sts, doesn't mean any team is gonna pony it up though.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It would be idiotic to take a guy Trent's age with his contract demands, injury history, and lack of recent playing time over a premium LT prospect on a 4-5 year rookie deal. Shows ignorance about building a successful roster to argue otherwise, the talent comparison doesn't exist in a vacuum.

It depends on if you are in win now mode, or are in more or a re build phase.  If I was Tampa gm, and was in clear win now mode, would I prefer a raw and far from a sure thing mekhi becton protecting bradys blindside during our 2 year window of opportunity, or a proven talent like Trent williams, even with injury concerns?  And considering I'm not giving up my 1st for TW, I can use that pick on another player to help us win now, such as kinlaw, Henderson, etc.  Its TW all day imo.

But for teams in more of a re build phase, like Miami or Jax, then yeah, it's a no brainer to take the prospect.  It all depends on where your team currently stands: win now or rebuild.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It depends on if you are in win now mode, or are in more or a re build phase.  If I was Tampa gm, and was in clear win now mode, would I prefer a raw and far from a sure thing mekhi becton protecting bradys blindside during our 2 year window of opportunity, or a proven talent like Trent williams, even with injury concerns?  And considering I'm not giving up my 1st for TW, I can use that pick on another player to help us win now, such as kinlaw, Henderson, etc.  Its TW all day imo.

But for teams in more of a re build phase, like Miami or Jax, then yeah, it's a no brainer to take the prospect.  It all depends on where your team currently stands: win now or rebuild.

Not to mention Becton's flagged drug test which will probably shoot him down to the second round.

To me there's only three logical landing spots - Minny, TB and Cleveland. Nothing else makes sense. Houston maybe because nothing they do makes sense.

• Like 1

Trent's value before the trade deadline last year was close to two 1sts. Due to the uncertainty of the NFL draft, his value has plummeted. That being said, his value will rise significantly after the fist 50 picks if there are no tackles left on the board.

Day One:

Wills

Wirfs

Thomas

Becton

Jackson

Jones 

Day Two:

Cleveland

Wanagho

Niang

Wilson

Minnesota or Seattle will more than likely be left without a starting tackle prospect by the end of the 2nd round. These are the two most realistic trade options. In my mock I have us trading with Minnesota for #58 and #205. The fall back would be Seattle for #59 and a 2021 pick. NYJ is a long shot as they should have the option of Niang, Wanagho, and Wilson. I cant see any team other than Tampa making a 2nd round trade. But they would be better off taking whichever of the top 4 tackles falls to them rather than trade for Trent.

16 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

My minimum asking price in ten 1sts, doesn't mean any team is gonna pony it up though.

Gotta shoot high 😏!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Yeah I said all that, that you have to take into account what you can get in the 1st instead if you spend a later pick to trade for Trent. It's possible you quoted what I had before I finished editing the second part of the post though. The issue is that in those tweets Trent vs. rookie OT's is set up in a vacuum like we're just talking pure talent without all the other considerations, like it was a straight up comparison when it's not in the real world.

And protecting Brady in Tampa isn't a good example. He needs more talented meat shields in the interior but he's helped OT's his entire career with his quick decision making and ability to step up into a clean pocket. The interior is where you can win pressuring Brady, not just the edges. He can make due with a less than perfect OT situation and has many times. Most of their good OT's eventually hit FA throughout his tenure for that reason and they rarely had premium pedigree talent at the position. A team with Brady would much rather, in your example, build a roster with Becton on a cost-controlled 5-year deal than with Trent...in a vacuum. 

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Not to mention Becton's flagged drug test which will probably shoot him down to the second round.

Nobody is going to care about that failed drug test, with the new CBA. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

While T Bay seems like a good destination, they have LT Donovan Smith on guaranteed 2020 salary, cap hit of 14.5 mil.  They also deferred some of his money into 2021, which I'm assuming would accelerate into 2020 dead cap if traded?  Not sure.  So the Redskins would have to take donovan Smith back in any trade involving Trent Williams.   

Maybe this could be a good thing for both teams.  We have the cap room to absorb the hit, and could cut d smith loose after the season if we wanted.  But by taking on his guaranteed 2020 salary, maybe we get our asking price if we agree to take on that salary.  TW for d smith and a couple midround picks.  Win win for both teams.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Nobody is going to care about that failed drug test, with the new CBA. 

I think it may concern a couple teams that are in win now mode and can't afford to have Becton sit through the new 60 day intervention program. 

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

While T Bay seems like a good destination, they have LT Donovan Smith on guaranteed 2020 salary, cap hit of 14.5 mil.  They also deferred some of his money into 2021, which I'm assuming would accelerate into 2020 dead cap if traded?  Not sure.  So the Redskins would have to take donovan Smith back in any trade involving Trent Williams. 

****, i'll do that in a heartbeat. Smith and a 3rd for Williams. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And protecting Brady in Tampa isn't a good example. He needs more talented meat shields in the interior but he's helped OT's his entire career with his quick decision making and ability to step up into a clean pocket. The interior is where you can win pressuring Brady, not just the edges. He can make due with a less than perfect OT situation and has many times. Most of their good OT's eventually hit FA throughout his tenure for that reason and they rarely had premium talent at the position. A team with Brady would much rather, in your example, build a roster with Becton on a cost-controlled 5-year deal than with Trent...in a vacuum. 

You are failing to take Bruce Arians offense into consideration.  While they will definitely shape the offense around bradys strengths, Arians is known for taking shots down the field with a much more vertical attack than Brady had in New England.  I don't think he is going to want to abandon that element of his offense (especially if they landed ruggs at 14, wow).  Pats have run erhardt-perkins offense most of bradys career.  In a vertical offense like Arians, a LT becomes much more important.

That being said, your point on LTs being less vital in the pats offense with a QB like Brady is spot on.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

with the age OTs are playing to these days and the apparent absolute suckage of our previous training staff  that may be how teams in rebuild mode justify going for him

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

You are failing to take Bruce Arians offense into consideration.  While they will definitely shape the offense around bradys strengths, Arians is known for taking shots down the field with a much more vertical attack than Brady had in New England.  I don't think he is going to want to abandon that element of his offense (especially if they landed ruggs at 14, wow).  Pats have run erhardt-perkins offense most of bradys career.  In a vertical offense like Arians, a LT becomes much more important.

That being said, your point on LTs being less vital in the pats offense with a QB like Brady is spot on.

If TB decided to draft Ruggs with their first pick even with Evans and Goodwin in a very deep draft at WR when they need so many other things would be borderline insanity. 

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Hey Bruce is that you?

• Haha 1

I think/hope a deal goes down during the draft and this saga ends.  Be nice to finally see this thread closed if/after a trade is done.  

• Like 1