Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

But, a source said, the Redskins have made it clear they won't give Williams away. They would like to get a second-round pick in return, but also have hinted that they'd be flexible with the compensation. They have also placed more of the burden on Williams to strike a deal with a team before they can proceed. The Redskins have talked to teams about Williams.

But they know if they keep Williams and he leaves after 2020 via free agency, they might end up with a third-round compensatory pick in 2022. Williams would count $12.5 million vs. the salary cap this season, but the Redskins would save $10.5 million if they released him. There have been no indications Washington would do so. And, sources said, they could end up bringing him back if no deal is struck before, or during, the draft.

39 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You know what the dumbest part of Trent's agent's statement is? "Players who are outwardly critical of the team do get traded."

This is an asinine thing to say on several levels lol...

1) No player has been as outwardly critical of the team as Williams and it's not even close...yet he's still here

2) Giving players the belief that publicly whining and criticizing the team will get you what you want is most definitely NOT what the Skins (or any franchise) wants....so trading Williams now will only solidify that belief in players' minds...so NOT trading Williams just became a viable course of action

Agree with this.  But I'll grant that this involves guessing Rivera's personality.  If it were me, I'd think I'd look weak to trade Trent right after an agent basically tries to demand it.   I think the odds are that his agent just extended the time length it will take for his client to get traded.

I also don't think it makes Trent and his agent look that hot to a prospective team he'd want to play for.  From what I gathered, NE isn't in play for Trent anymore (not since last summer) but if they were, I'd bet they'd be out on Trent based on these antics because how do you know they don't become malcontented in their next spot?  NE doesn't put up with public nonsense.  Trent and his agent better hope that the teams they want to play for feel differently.

To me his agent's press release is an overreaction from the Dunbar trade yesterday.  They got emotional and did something dumb IMO. 

Stick it to his punk ass and tell him that he's not getting traded unless it's for a 2nd round pick and he agrees to the contract that team is willing to pay.  I'd go to the press right now if I were the Redskins and say, we aren't trading him without fair compensation and that the reason a deal isn't being worked out is because of TW wanting too much money from the teams willing to trade for him.  That if he wants out, he needs to lower his asking price, or else be prepared to play for the Redskins in 2020.  

Or he can sit out and get no money and no league year accrual.  No need to give in now, especially after the new CBA really ****s him from sitting out again.  At this point, I'm happy with a 3rd round comp pick.  So sick of TW's bull****.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with this.  But I'll grant that this involves guessing Rivera's personality. 

I think Trent and/or his agent were guessing Rivera's personality as well...I'm not feeling they guessed correctly lol. But hell, who knows. But I'd be shocked if this sped up Trent's release from the Redskins in any form.

Additionally, Taylor wrote that players who are outwardly critical do get traded. It's no secret that he's talking about Quinton Dunbar, who the Redskins traded on Monday to the Seahawks for a fifth-round pick. 

In fact, much of Taylor's letter might be specific to Dunbar's trade, almost suggesting that if the team was willing to let a talented young corner go for a fifth-rounder that they should certainly let Williams go for whatever deal is available. 

Taylor's note finished with: "Although Trent Williams will always love and respect Dan Snyder, his teammates, and the Washington Redskins’ fans, he wants to be traded or released. It’s time for the organization to act in a manner that is in both Williams’ and the team’s best interest."

Therein lies the rub: What's in the best interest for Williams isn't necessarily in the best interest for the Redskins. 

A month ago reports showed the Redskins would deal Williams for a second-round pick. That deal never emerged. Should Washington budge off that desired level of compensation? 

Williams also wants a new contract, he said as much last fall when he spoke to reporters in the Redskins locker room. Reports show that he wants to be paid at the top of the tackle market, and that could command up to $20 million per season. That deal might exist, but it hasn't publicly emerged. Should Williams budge off that desired level of compensation?

It's entirely possible, if not probable, that there are teams out there willing to pay Williams but not send the Redskins a second-round pick. At what point should the Redskins just take what they can get? They did with Dunbar. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/trent-williams-agent-claims-redskins-not-acting-good-faith-and-suggests-possible-legal

7 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Stick it to his punk ass and tell him that he's not getting traded unless it's for a 2nd round pick and he agrees to the contract that team is willing to pay.  I'd go to the press right now if I were the Redskins and say, we aren't trading him without fair compensation and that the reason a deal isn't being worked out is because of TW wanting too much money from the teams willing to trade for him.  That if he wants out, he needs to lower his asking price, or else be prepared to play for the Redskins in 2020.  

Or he can sit out and get no money and no league year accrual.  No need to give in now, especially after the new CBA really ****s him from sitting out again.  At this point, I'm happy with a 3rd round comp pick.  So sick of TW's bull****.

I like the part of the agents comments where he threatens a lawsuit....the Redskins are the ones who should pursue a lawsuit. 

Who cares if Dunbar was traded for a 5th? At best, we would have received a 4th out of him, and he was demanding a new contract, along with a checkered injury history.

You never "take what you can get" with a highly coveted probowl LT. Never! If he cant lower his demands, then I guess he comes back to the skins and has to make a choice of either sitting another year, or playing. We hold all the cards. Should have been traded to Houston a year ago. But is what it is. Hold him and shop him to desperate teams during the season. At worst, collect a comp pick in 2021.

@Califan007

Yep. I think they saw Dunbar openly whine on twitter about his situation and in their minds get rewarded for it.  And they got indignant about it because in their minds they've been mostly quiet about it this year and handled it classier than Dunbar publicly. 

The thing is though it's apples to oranges.    For starters, Dunbar whining on twitter wasn't really going that viral nationally.  He's been if anything passive aggressive on the whole thing.   He's not a national name type player so his antics made some local waves but nothing crazy.  Dunbar did the equivalent of throwing a hand grenade whereas Trent's agent threw an atom bomb out there.  Also, they clearly think the Redskins were underpaid in draft compensation for Dunbar.  They might be right about that.  But Dunbar wasn't a star. He's not a pro bowler.  Trent is a much bigger deal.  He plays a much more important position.  And the Redskins should hold out for as much as they can get for Trent.   It's not apples to apples IMO.

Mike Jones among others have said for years Trent's agent is a bit of a weird dude and not the best agent.  I don't recall his whole scoop but I recall some of it was his agent is somewhat anti-social and not very plugged in -- which is the opposite of the typical NFL agent.  I didn't really think much of it then but its apt on a day like today.

It seems like for trading Trent there is a duo challenge.  1.  They need to find a team who will extend Trent with his sky high contract demands.  2.  Compensate the Redskins properly.

His agent I gather wants the Redskins to take a ham sandwich for Trent to facilitate a team to find Trent's contract demands more palatable where they aren't giving up both a high pick and big money.  But that's Trent's problem not the Redskins.   If they want out so bad then lessen contract demands.  And I see them gaining nothing and if anything likely losing from antagonizing the Redskins. 

Best thing Trent can do at this point is fire his agent and start over. Have the agent contact RR to see where things stand and go from there. This Taylor guy has played out all his cards now and nothing worked. Trent should hire the same agent that RR has....

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@Califan007

Yep. I think they saw Dunbar openly whine on twitter about his situation and in their minds get rewarded for it.  And they got indignant about it because in their minds they've been mostly quiet about it this year and handled it classier than Dunbar publicly. 

The thing is though it's apples to oranges.    For starters, Dunbar whining on twitter wasn't really going that viral nationally.  He's been if anything passive aggressive on the whole thing.   He's not a national name type player so his antics made some local waves but nothing crazy.  Dunbar did the equivalent of throwing a hand grenade whereas Trent's agent threw an atom bomb out there.  Also, they clearly think the Redskins were underpaid in draft compensation for Dunbar.  They might be right about that.  But Dunbar wasn't a star. He's not a pro bowler.  Trent is a much bigger deal.  He plays a much more important position.  And the Redskins should hold out for as much as they can get for Trent.   It's not apples to apples IMO.

Mike Jones among others have said for years Trent's agent is a bit of a weird dude and not the best agent.  I don't recall his whole scoop but I recall some of it was his agent is somewhat anti-social and not very plugged in -- which is the opposite of the typical NFL agent.  I didn't really think much of it then but its apt on a day like today.

It seems like for trading Trent there is a duo challenge.  1.  They need to find a team who will extend Trent with his sky high contract demands.  2.  Compensate the Redskins properly.

His agent I gather wants the Redskins to take a ham sandwich for Trent to facilitate a team to find Trent's contract demands more palatable where they aren't giving up both a high pick and big money.  But that's Trent's problem not the Redskins.   If they want out so bad then lessen contract demands.  And I see them gaining nothing and if anything likely losing from antagonizing the Redskins. 

Agree completely...there are a LOT of negative takes on twitter from the media right now on this decision. I wonder if Trent still thinks there's a campaign being orchestrated by the Skins to drag his name through the mud lol...

That's definitely interesting about what you said about Trent's agent. He's getting bad advice from somewhere and his agent is the likely source of it...or he's giving bad directives to his agent who's unwilling to tell his client his ideas are bad. Or something. I personally could see the validity in not giving into Trent's demands last offseason, but I'm more inclined to agree with you and others now that trading him last offseason was far and away the best move to make.

Not connected to SIP's post lol...but...

Team screwed up by trading Dunbar after he was whining, it escalated the situation...

That being said, tell Trent to come back with a team that is willing to pay a 2nd or to go away...

The team can't be bullied by players, AND the Trent situation is old news and people are going to tune him out.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

You know what the dumbest part of Trent's agent's statement is? "Players who are outwardly critical of the team do get traded."

This is an asinine thing to say on several levels lol...

1) No player has been as outwardly critical of the team as Williams and it's not even close...yet he's still here

Boy ain't that the truth.  I still go back to what Houston paid for a lesser player who only had 1 year left on his deal and I am so pissed at Bruce.  As for the agent's comments the Redskins are under no obligation to trade him for the crappy offers they are no doubt receiving.  Why on Earth would they do that when they can force him to sit out or report and collect a 3rd comp pick next year?  It would be difficult to bring him back at this point but no reason not to force his hand.  

29 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Agree completely...there are a LOT of negative takes on twitter from the media right now on this decision. I wonder if Trent still thinks there's a campaign being orchestrated by the Skins to drag his name through the mud lol...

That's definitely interesting about what you said about Trent's agent. He's getting bad advice from somewhere and his agent is the likely source of it...or he's giving bad directives to his agent who's unwilling to tell his client his ideas are bad. Or something. I personally could see the validity in not giving into Trent's demands last offseason, but I'm more inclined to agree with you and others now that trading him last offseason was far and away the best move to make.

I forgot where i heard it but somewhere I recall seeing that Trent was trying to recoup some of the money lost from the Redskins from his last year's holdout as part of the idea of staying with the Redskins.   I think it was Sheehan if I recall repeating it.   If so, that might have been the kicker for Rivera not wanting to deal with him.  

The reality is his agent's advice lost Trent serious money last year.  And I gather he sold him on he'd make up that ground financially with a new contract.

I'd bet Trent's agent has been fueling the you are worth 20 million plus a year.  And while the Redskins don't appreciate you and are cheap about it, you'll find the football world will open up their checkbooks for you.   Heck Trent himself said once the Redskins let his agent market him for trades -- that he's now done being a Redskin, new beginnings, etc.  So i am guessing they thought it would be a piece of cake to find a team to meet their demands.

But it looks like so far, teams aren't willing to pay the moon for Trent salary wise.  I'd bet no takes at 20 million plus.  Some I notice on the board think that the 2020 FA class has helped justify the 20 million plus.  I say its the opposite.  No one is getting 20 million at LT.  Heck arguably the two best tackles on the market got around 10 million a piece.  The Colts LT got more but even he didn't approach 20 million.  Clowney is out there too (different position granted) holding out for 20 million and so far no dice.

So my guess is his agent decided to blame Trent's predicament on the Redskins especially since its likely his dumb moves and misread of the market which has put Trent in this bad hole.  I recall Mike Jones saying Trent really likes his agent personally and is real loyal to him.    So I gather Trent is willing to buy his agent's rap.

Hard for me imagine that Trent is driving all of this himself.  But who knows?  I am guessing its his agent.   That press release IMO shows the stupidity of his agent if there was any doubt previously.  

Bottom line is that TW and his agent have finally come to realize that no team is going to offer anything of value in trade while also paying TW an outrageous salary.  This is a last gasp effort to try to get what they want.  It won't work.  TW wants to be a free agent when he isn't eligible to be a FA.  To change teams, the Redskins have to accept a trade offer.  Without TW having a sane salary request, no reasonable trade offer will happen.

I can see Trent Williams side because of the culture that was here prior to Rivera coming. Rivera tried to mend the fences with Williams but to no avail. Williams wants a long term deal and a kings ransom because he felt slighted by the organization. He says he has no ill will towards the Organization, the fans, or Dan Snyder but that is what he portrays when his agent comes out with a statement basically demanding a trade or release adding that disgruntle players get traded. 

He’s 100% been given bad advice. Or he’s an idiot. Either way, his options/time is running out, and the skins position keeps getting stronger. Soon hes going to have to choose between mending the burned bridges in ashburn, or accepting a significantly smaller deal. I hope we trade him for a 2nd to a ****tier franchise than our own (does that exist?) where he signs for 10 mil a year. **** him. 

Archived